Is it all about the MONEY? and why do Nurse Anesthetist make so much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christian15213

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, yes some of us want to be doctors because of the money... plain and simple that is their primary reason. Some, actually want to help people and could give a damed about what pay their getting for the week. And yes there is every other flavor inbetween.

What cracks me up though are the nurses. They are in the same breed. For them, the Cardio Thoracic Halo of godliness is duh duh duh duh "nurse anesthetist" Why? purely and simply because it pays the most. It's like they didn't get into medschool so now they all want to pursue this career that pays rediculously gives a lot of clout. Why? I dunno they are putting people to sleep... What patient interaction or contact is that. Quit frankly the only reason why the hospital does it is to not have to pay the Freaking Dr. Anesthetist who makes way too much money as well, IMO...

I am friends with nurses who are doing it and I have just sat and observed the nurses, doctors, hospital officials yaddaaa yaddaaa... and give me a break... when you choose nurse anesthetist you choose dollar signs... not patient anything...

But this isn't limited to nurses... OH no... while I am on my soapbox... I want to call out a few doctors as well.

Plastic Surgeon... oh don't give me burn victims and cancer breast patients. These are ego centric docs looking to make a buck and bounce. Why do I say this... because Plastics are the first Docs to retire early... Save up their millions and then retire. I don't even understand what the point is besides the money. Could you imagine a medical school interview... "I want to be a plastic surgeon." Oh yea why? Because I want to make woman feel so bad about themselves they'll come running to me to get injections of crap and saline breasts... It will be a ball. and I will make millions doing it...

I don't want to trash the profession because there is an art, surgical skill and a lot of good that does go on with it... I was simply giving a general overview of what I have seen from plastics and the true sense of helping people...

let the responses begin.

Members don't see this ad.

you're going to need this.
istockphoto_842320_flame_boy.jpg

What exactly are you looking for here? Some people do this for the money, others could care less. Some people do plastics because it can indeed change lives (burn victims, cleft etc) while some plastics care less and do it for the money. The important thing is that you're a good doctor and treat your patients well.

what a poor attempt at a troll. The MD $$ issue has been beaten to death on this forum over the last few weeks. IF you're genuinely curious about CRNA's and MD anesthesiologists, why don't you go to Gasforums.net, the anesthesia site on SDN?

Members don't see this ad :)
you're going to need this.
istockphoto_842320_flame_boy.jpg

What exactly are you looking for here? Some people do this for the money, others could care less. Some people do plastics because it can indeed change lives (burn victims, cleft etc) while some plastics care less and do it for the money. The important thing is that you're a good doctor and treat your patients well.

actually that is a good answer... and I agree with your last statement whole heartedly... However, The gas nurses to me are just seriously all about the $Bling$ bling... it is wierd the field even pays as much as it does...

actually that is a good answer... and I agree with your last statement whole heartedly... However, The gas nurses to me are just seriously all about the $Bling$ bling... it is wierd the field even pays as much as it does...

It pays as much as it does because they provide a needed service. CRNAs get paid extremely well in the areas anesthesiologists don't want to go. For instance, my hometown in Iowa is the county seat and therefore has the county hospital. It is not large at all in comparison to big city standards, but there are general surgeons that work there and so there must be someone to anesthetize patients. However, in a town of $11,000 people, there isn't a whole lot of draw for physicians to come running. Heck, even the general surgeon there is just a good ol homeboy that came back after residency. So, in comes the CRNA who does most of the same things that an anesthesiologist does. So they are paid well.

What is your point? Why would you post something just to "let the responses begin," as you put it; aka annoy the **** out of everyone?

This is the same toolbag that started that thread about a professor being "racist" because he didn't get to work in his lab... and posted the professor's email address.

Don't you have anything better to do?

I had a small consulting project that dealt with recruiting CRNAs at an academic medical center.

I was surprised to find out that on average (at this site) a newly trained CRNA made about 10K more (agency rate) than a new faculty member. The CRNA worked 36-40 hours a week and could go home, while the faculty member worked the same amount of hours (over three days), and still had other responsibilities. I'm not sure about the private/group practice setting...

No it's not just about the money. I'm in it to get the ladies too.

What is your point? Why would you post something just to "let the responses begin," as you put it; aka annoy the **** out of everyone?

This is the same toolbag that started that thread about a professor being "racist" because he didn't get to work in his lab... and posted the professor's email address.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Seriously - this dude is weird, I can't believe he's going to become a physician one day...lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is hilarious. Obviously the OP does not understand how capitalism works. What you "deserve" to make does not equate to what you are worth in a market sense. Hell, if you're going to complain about a profession, at least do it about something like professional atheletes. At least plastics docs are highly educated and somewhat deserve to be well compensated.

Anyways, as if plastics docs make women feel bad -- they can do that pretty easily on their own and with the help of the media. The doc is just providing a luxury service, and we're all about that in the USA.

hmmm with your 97 posts and your mouth tell me you have been banned off here before and just like to say nonsense rather than engaging in a meaningful debate.

my point is that I think some people are in it for the $money$ , yes some for the ladies, and some for the love of science and the patients well being. I understand capitlism I am not debating it. But what I don't like is how every nurse is trying to be an CRNA just because they think that is where the money is.

hmmm with your 97 posts and your mouth tell me you have been banned off here before and just like to say nonsense rather than engaging in a meaningful debate.

my point is that I think some people are in it for the $money$ , yes some for the ladies, and some for the love of science and the patients well being. I understand capitlism I am not debating it. But what I don't like is how every nurse is trying to be an CRNA just because they think that is where the money is.

If I follow your logic correctly... you don't like nurses entering CRNA or MDs going into plastics because they get paid more with less patient contact for CRNAs and plastics making a buttload of money.

do you also wonder why people become doctors instead of nurses? As a nurse you get more patient contact. You shouldn't understand or "like" how someone should want to be a doctor because they think that is where the money is and are signing up for less contact.

I am going to jump on the wtf is the point-bandwagon

Is it not possible to be interested in helping people AND (gasp) want to provide a good life for your kids?

You may find this shocking (so prepare yourself) but there a lot of people who are interested in primary care but go into more lucrative specialties because of the debt. If you are coming into med school with 100k and debt from college and are soon to triple that, it may not be practical to do peds. God forbid you compromise on your specialty and are selfless... 140k a year is not a great salary for someone who wants to have a big family.

I can't believe I just got sucked into this too....

If I follow your logic correctly... you don't like nurses entering CRNA or MDs going into plastics because they get paid more with less patient contact for CRNAs and plastics making a buttload of money.

do you also wonder why people become doctors instead of nurses? As a nurse you get more patient contact. You shouldn't understand or "like" how someone should want to be a doctor because they think that is where the money is and are signing up for less contact.

Good call.

I'm guessing most premed students don't go to med school with the intention of going into dermatology or plastic surgery. I'm also guessing that most nurses don't go into nursing school with the intention of going the CRNA route just for the money. What I think happens is that we go into medicine with big dreams of changing the world and realize that its not all that it is cracked up to be AND there is little chance of changing the world and so people decide to look after their own interest and go into lifestyle specialties that pay big bucks.

what does a nurse anesthetist make yearly anyways?

I'm guessing most premed students don't go to med school with the intention of going into dermatology or plastic surgery. I'm also guessing that most nurses don't go into nursing school with the intention of going the CRNA route just for the money. What I think happens is that we go into medicine with big dreams of changing the world and realize that its not all that it is cracked up to be AND there is little chance of changing the world and so people decide to look after their own interest and go into lifestyle specialties that pay big bucks.

thank you for atleast understanding of where I was going with the fact that some people do it for the money. I don't fault people for wanting to make money... In fact I want to be sucessful and have a practice that is trump tight with good business and patient interaction. But come on... Plastic surgeons being the first to retire all the time... with their boat loads of money.

Just more to say on the money front I know that any doctor can make a lot of money if they run their practice the correct way. i have heard stories of doctors taking nothing my medicaid and this and that patients and making over 700k a year. lol, i don't know what care these people are getting but if it works then it works.

All I am saying is that I am not in it for the money... My motivating factor is to help people, raise my family, be comfortable and to lots of pro bono--- Sorry but I will never forget where I have come from. I know I can't change the world but I will sure do my part.

All I am saying is that I am not in it for the money... My motivating factor is to help people, raise my family, be comfortable and to lots of pro bono--- Sorry but I will never forget where I have come from. I know I can't change the world but I will sure do my part.

I think you've missed my point though.

People change.

If what I said is true and their initial intention was service, then they are the same as you are now.

You could also change your mind as times goes on. If med school and residency were easy things, we would probably turn out a lot more people that are only looking out for the interest of others. The thing is, medicine is a very difficult thing to attain. I'd say a large portion of individuals goals change from the beginning of med school to the end of residency. Initially, they may be entirely altruistic but its easy to get "hardened" due to everything one goes through and one realizes that if s/he doesn't look out for himself, no one else will. He realizes he doesn't want to make the sacrifices he's made for nothing, and go after something that is less altruistic than his initial desires.

Yes, but you may change your mind as time goes on. If med school and residency were easy things, we would probably turn out a lot more people that are only looking out for the interest of others. The thing is, medicine is a very difficult thing to attain. I'd say a large portion of individuals goals change from the beginning of med school to the end of residency. Initially, they may be entirely altruistic but its easy to get "hardened" due to everything one goes through and one realizes that if s/he doesn't look out for himself, no one else will. He realizes he doesn't want to make the sacrifices he's made for nothing, and go after something that is less altruistic than his initial desires.

true but think of my point a little bit. When you get a residency and lets say it is surgery... you don't know what type of surgeon you are going to become as of yet. However, lets say that you just have it dead set on plastics... probably you'll be able to become a plastic surgeon at that point. at that point you haven't been around the block and still have years of fellowships and residency but nonetheless you will become a plastics and plan your retirement in about 10 15 years thereafter. At some point you know and it isn't necessarily because you have been hardend... LOL just yet anyways.

Oh and to the poster that asked how mush CRNA's make it is anywhere from 110K to 150K per year... Yes they can make more than actual doctors...

Oh and to the poster that asked how mush CRNA's make it is anywhere from 110K to 150K per year... Yes they can make more than actual doctors...

I've heard higher numbers. Especially in more rural areas where the CRNA does not have an anesthesiologist supervising them. In that case they can make as much as an anesthesiologist makes i.e. ~$300K.

what does a nurse anesthetist make yearly anyways?

I know one who makes 180+, others she works with make 200+ with lots of call. It's all regional, of course, but at her hospital (a large community one in the northeast), base is 120 and with call most make 140-150+.

hey christian, i noticed you live in miami... you wouldn't happen to go to FIU would you?

the reason i ask is because the more i read your posts, the more i begin to realize that you're just another miami tool whose ego is so big that you fail to recognize you're too stupid to be a doctor.

hey christian, i noticed you live in miami... you wouldn't happen to go to FIU would you?

the reason i ask is because the more i read your posts, the more i begin to realize that you're just another miami tool whose ego is so big that you fail to recognize you're too stupid to be a doctor.

:thumbup:

christian15213,

You mentioned that you would like to have a "meaningful debate," but your original post is both inflammatory and demeaning to many healthcare professionals.

Threads like this are NOT appropriate for SDN. Refrain from making similar threads and inflammatory remarks in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.