Is it annoying/rude to ask the office of financial aid for more FA opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredmedstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an M2 who dropped the MSTP and entered the world of debt. I know I'll sound whiny, but I come from a disadvantaged background (my EFC was 0) and I understand students live off loans. I do not mean to be greedy, but finances have been stressing me out recently. I got a very generous $21,000 scholarship (and very grateful for it). I know many don't receive anything. However, this still leave $29,000 in tuition + COA.

Would it be rude to ask for more FA opportunities? Like if they have a scholarship they're not advertising or something. Would asking lead to them potentially taking away the scholarship they offered me? Could it lead them to not give me similar aid next year?

I don't want to leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an M2 who dropped the MSTP and entered the world of debt. I know I'll sound whiny, but I come from a disadvantaged background (my EFC was 0) and I understand students live off loans. I do not mean to be greedy, but finances have been stressing me out recently. I got a very generous $21,000 scholarship (and very grateful for it). I know many don't receive anything. However, this still leave $29,000 in tuition + COA.

Would it be rude to ask for more FA opportunities? Like if they have a scholarship they're not advertising or something. Would asking lead to them potentially taking away the scholarship they offered me? Could it lead them to not give me similar aid next year?

I don't want to leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth.
Its fine, just ask them

They won't revoke already awarded aid.

The vast majority are taking out loans, and you'll likely need to take out some as well. It's okay. It's likely what they'll direct you to as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools have a list of outside scholarships and grants that students can look into and apply for. You could ask if they have anything like that.

But, scholarships for medical school are few and far between and most students take out federal loans. You'll need to prepare yourself to do that.

Reactions: 1 user
There’s also work/study (such as tutoring, running review sessions, working in a lab).

It won’t hurt to ask. I did as a med student but was turned down.

Look at the website of your state medical society, county medical society in the county where your med school is located, and physician organizations for minorities if you belong to such a group. In Texas there are some good scholarships (up to $10,000 ) like this for students who have already begun medical school. It's something you have to seek out and apply for, but worth your time.

Reactions: 1 users