MD Is it appropriate to send a letter of intent/interest before an interview offer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n1ght-b1rd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools seem to respond well to letters of intent/interest?

Members don't see this ad.

What schools seem to respond well to letters of intent/interest?
To profess undying love before you have even met, smacks of obsession. I can't imagine anyone is flattered by this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I'd like to bump this thread. I am sort of in a slump when it comes to interviews (had a bunch early on but haven't heard anything much since). I have been lucky enough to get accepted already, so I was wondering if I should send an update letter/letter of interest to some of my top choice schools (I can speak of some summer activities and/or continued activities). Would this be helpful in nudging an interview in my favor? Is this the right time?

Edit: This thread should probably be in pre-allo...

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is this: if you have significant changes to your primary app (pub, new awesome job, Nobel Prize), you can submit an update letter. Otherwise, you're wasting the adcom's time.

This should be in pre-allo.

Anyways, most people seem to agree that Letters of Interest are pretty worthless. Letters of Intent, on the other hand, CAN matter if you've been waitlisted post interview and are trying to get off the waitlist.

This should be in pre-allo.

Anyways, most people seem to agree that Letters of Interest are pretty worthless. Letters of Intent, on the other hand, CAN matter if you've been waitlisted post interview and are trying to get off the waitlist.
Only if you have been accepted to a better or cheaper school. Otherwise we already know you will come if accepted.

How would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant?

Anyways, most people seem to agree that Letters of Interest are pretty worthless. Letters of Intent, on the other hand, CAN matter if you've been waitlisted post interview and are trying to get off the waitlist.[/QUOTE]