Is it awkward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So quick question: Do any of you find it awkward if you go to an attending as a patient and then end up working with them later? I just finished MSI, and long story short I have to see a urologist and maybe a GI doc/surgeon. It's a lot easier for me to just go to our university hospital/clinic, but I'm afraid come MSIII/IV I'll run into them. Have any of you had this happen? Do you find it weird?

BTW: This isn't my first post, I just wanted to make a new account because my last account made it kinda obvious who I was to the people I know.

Members don't see this ad.

No big deal. They probably won't remember you if you don't make it obvious that you're a medical student. However, you could certainly go to another hospital if you're worried.

I hope your health concerns are nothing too serious.

I imagine you could go to your school administration at the right time 2nd year and tell them who the attendings and residents are that you saw as a patient and do not want to work with. Technically you are not allowed to work with them because if they evaluate you it could be a conflict of interest I would imagine.

Also, yes, schools recognize this can happen so that is why you won't have to work with them. You may see them around but I doubt they'll even notice you unless you do something or have some disease (I hope not) that makes them remember you.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would think the opposite actually.. if you are their pt, you can speak with them on a slightly more technical and somewhat equal level about your condition which might be good for the doc too (you know.. always dealing with scientifically illiterate pts) and then if you do happen to see them during MS3/4 then either 1) they wont remember you 2) they know theyve seen you somewhere and might be more friendly to you or 3) theyll ask how you are doing with your condition and then move on to being the professional attending they are and teach you as a medical student.... just my opinion obvi

i would think the opposite actually.. if you are their pt, you can speak with them on a slightly more technical and somewhat equal level about your condition which might be good for the doc too (you know.. always dealing with scientifically illiterate pts) and then if you do happen to see them during MS3/4 then either 1) they wont remember you 2) they know theyve seen you somewhere and might be more friendly to you or 3) theyll ask how you are doing with your condition and then move on to being the professional attending they are and teach you as a medical student.... just my opinion obvi

That might be an option at some schools, but at my school they have a policy against it. The first time I went to the family med place the attending told me if I want him to be my doc that's fine but it will mean I can't be involved with him during the clinical rotations at all.

I've done it and it is awwwk-wwward. (Made even more so because of gender differences...) If the problem is serious and/or requires exposure, spend a bit of time and taxi money now to save yourself some serious awkwardness later.

On another note, never tell your doctor that you're a med student. I've been pimped literally in the middle of getting a pap smear. Now that's awkward!

I've never worked with an attending who I have previously seen as a patient, however, I have been seen by a PA after having worked with her for 2 weeks on a rotation. She didn't listen to my HPI, criticized me when I told her what I thought my diagnosis was (Her exact words were, "with your symptoms, it can't be that,. you're a medical student, you should know better". Ultimately I was correct..), didn't do a focused exam relating to my CC, didn't listen to exam findings I showed her which warranted surgical referral, refused to give me the indicated referral, argued with me about getting an indicated x-ray, misread my x-ray, and discharged me with a completely incorrect diagnosis without appropriate follow up.. fortunately before I wasted more money on an ER visit I spoke with a radiologist who correctly read the films and answered all my questions.

So yeah, that was much more frustrating and disheartening than awkward.

I've done it and it is awwwk-wwward. (Made even more so because of gender differences...) If the problem is serious and/or requires exposure, spend a bit of time and taxi money now to save yourself some serious awkwardness later.

On another note, never tell your doctor that you're a med student. I've been pimped literally in the middle of getting a pap smear. Now that's awkward!

I worked with one of the ortho docs that did a surgery on me and he was def nicer/let me do more/taught more than to other students, it's just bc of familiarity, though. Later I was walking down the hall not even on service and ran into him and he asked if I wanted to scrub a cool case as 1st assist, which was pretty awesome.

So quick question: Do any of you find it awkward if you go to an attending as a patient and then end up working with them later? I just finished MSI, and long story short I have to see a urologist and maybe a GI doc/surgeon. It's a lot easier for me to just go to our university hospital/clinic, but I'm afraid come MSIII/IV I'll run into them. Have any of you had this happen? Do you find it weird?

BTW: This isn't my first post, I just wanted to make a new account because my last account made it kinda obvious who I was to the people I know.

I am pretty sure in alot of school if not all there are strict LCME guidelines against this. You cannot be treated by anyone who serves as your advisor esp for psych. If this is violated the school gets fined. Ask at your school what the policy is