Is it bad that I haven't received any interview invites yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korters

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background info:

I finished all my secondary applications ranging from late August to early September. I received a 33N on my MCAT and have a 3.74 GPA (3.71 Sci). I doubled majored in biochemistry and biology (grad. in 2008). Additionally, I have a ton of research experience (no publications), volunteer experience, and am employed at a biotechnology company. I applied to eight schools (Albert Einstein, Thomas Jefferson, Mayo, Miami, Tulane, Keck, UCLA, UCSD).

I'm actually starting to get nervous over the fact that I have not received any interview invites yet. Is anyone else in the same boat as me? It seems like everyone is getting invites on this forum. Urgh the wait is KILLING ME!!:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

You did apply to only 8 schools and 4 of them are extremely hard to get into (3 UCs and mayo). So really you applied to 4 schools, what did you expect to happen? Then, Miami is a state school and it is 4x as hard to get in from OOS (I am assuming you are from Cali). So you have a reasonable chance at Einstein, Jeff, and Tulane and I think they all have a lot of applicants. You should have a chance at these schools, but you aren't helping your chances with your school choices.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's very constructive.

To the OP: relax. Add more schools if the application deadline hasn't passed. Are you from cali? If so you do have a shot at those 3 UCs. Generally, once you get over a 30 mcat and a 3.7, about a third of the schools you apply to will interview you. About half will accept you. This is why people are getting antsy about you not applying to enough schools.

I don't think there's any point of applying to mayo at this point, since their interview season is almost over (they run faster than other schools) and they've filled pretty much every interview slot. I wouldn't hold too much hope there.

The three safeties you have a shot at. While generally early interviews are better, some (the less competitive) schools will want to see where you've gotten acceptances before sending you interviews. Conjecture says that not having any acceptances at a later date will make them more likely to send you an interview.

relax. It's only october. Worry when it's december.

To the OP: relax. Add more schools if the application deadline hasn't passed. Are you from cali? If so you do have a shot at those 3 UCs. Generally, once you get over a 30 mcat and a 3.7, about a third of the schools you apply to will interview you. About half will accept you. This is why people are getting antsy about you not applying to enough schools.

I don't think there's any point of applying to mayo at this point, since their interview season is almost over (they run faster than other schools) and they've filled pretty much every interview slot. I wouldn't hold too much hope there.

The three safeties you have a shot at. While generally early interviews are better, some (the less competitive) schools will want to see where you've gotten acceptances before sending you interviews. Conjecture says that not having any acceptances at a later date will make them more likely to send you an interview.

Not to be a negative nancy but that seems pretty generous. I'm thinking more like between 1/5 and 1/10 for this cycle, which seems to be more competitive than previous years.

You absolutely applied to too few schools. Even the strongest candidate out there, if he were to apply to 25 schools, is not likely to get more than 10-15 interviews.

So ten schools ignored or rejected him. What if he had only applied to those ten!!!???

That is just not true.

Yes. The number of students applying to medical school is the highest its been in the last 11 years, IIRC.

*Edit: Correction, last 13 years. http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/charts1982to2010.pdf

oops. you fail at reading graphs, the last data available is for my cycle (2009-10)

but with the economy the way it is, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the current upward trend continues; note how that graph lags rather nicely the unemployment rate over the same period by about a year

i was worried about it, i remember mentioning something about it to my advisor and she looked at me as though i'd just spontaneously broken into Farsi verse

I think you should add 3 more schools with numbers more in line with Jefferson. Just my 2 cents. Not saying you won't get in anywhere, but it can't hurt to lower that risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you were slightly late and the UC's are slow, but you should really add more schools. Like 10 more.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to apply to a couple more schools just to be on the safe side.

37, 3.3, 3.8smp -0 MD interviews. Comlete mostly in Mid September. about 20schools. Starting to accept the fact that I am a complete and utter failure.

Whooh, calm down. You were complete not to long ago. Im sure they havent even got to your app yet. Seeing as a lot of ppl applied before you its taking them longer now to get back with ppl. Relax, I bet you hear back soon. Take up a hobby. By December, I bet you hear back from some skools. Good luck. Try and stay positive (trust me I know easier said than done)!:)

37, 3.3, 3.8smp -0 MD interviews. Comlete mostly in Mid September. about 20schools. Starting to accept the fact that I am a complete and utter failure.

I have a 33R, 3.5, 4 years D-1 athlete, 2 summers working in Asia once as a director, and research experience, clinical experience, continued work with Asian camp and I haven't gotten any yet either! And I applied to 20 schools and was finished with apps first week of October. Should have studies harder as a freshman, but oh well!

Yes. The number of students applying to medical school is the highest its been in the last 11 years, IIRC.

*Edit: Correction, last 13 years. http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/charts1982to2010.pdf

Not saying you're wrong, but:

1. There are new schools and many medical schools have a greater number of seats, it would be more meaningful if you took number of applicants to number of seats into consideration. If that data is actually available.

2. In the last 13 years, but not technically the highest than ever before :p

And finally, good luck Korters! :)

Whooh, calm down. You were complete not to long ago. Im sure they havent even got to your app yet. Seeing as a lot of ppl applied before you its taking them longer now to get back with ppl. Relax, I bet you hear back soon. Take up a hobby. By December, I bet you hear back from some skools. Good luck. Try and stay positive (trust me I know easier said than done)!:)
no. I know how it works. I have perused those "school specific" threads many times over. i am not a first-time applicant and know how long it takes... true there are some schools that might have ranked my application and put into "competitive pool" and those few schols might still invite me for interviews. but schools like suny upstate and gwu basically rejected me already. and i am certain that every school where i have been complete for over 4weeks has reviewed my application. i am ****ed.

I have a 33R, 3.5, 4 years D-1 athlete, 2 summers working in Asia once as a director, and research experience, clinical experience, continued work with Asian camp and I haven't gotten any yet either! And I applied to 20 schools and was finished with apps first week of October. Should have studies harder as a freshman, but oh well!
"finished" does not mean complete. check that you are in fact complete. either way it's the 4week mark when you are screwed. you havent even had 3weeks.

"finished" does not mean complete. check that you are in fact complete. either way it's the 4week mark when you are screwed. you havent even had 3weeks.

I was actually "complete" between 10/3 and 10/18 dependng on the school... you still think there is hope?

I was actually "complete" between 10/3 and 10/18 dependng on the school... you still think there is hope?
Yes, your situation is very different from those who have been complete for 4+ weeks.

Yes, your situation is very different from those who have been complete for 4+ weeks.
Sorry, I guess I am just anxious, and it stinks hearing about everyone with such good stats (better than mine!) not getting and interest! Good luck guys, I really hope it works out!

This cycle is driving my nuts, my sister got 4 interviews/2 acceptances about four years ago with a 3.6GPA and a 30 MCAT

I have a 3.9 GPA and a 33 MCAT, but I have zero interviews. :(

Last edited:
Some background info:

I finished all my secondary applications ranging from late August to early September. I received a 33N on my MCAT and have a 3.74 GPA (3.71 Sci). I doubled majored in biochemistry and biology (grad. in 2008). Additionally, I have a ton of research experience (no publications), volunteer experience, and am employed at a biotechnology company. I applied to eight schools (Albert Einstein, Thomas Jefferson, Mayo, Miami, Tulane, Keck, UCLA, UCSD).

I'm actually starting to get nervous over the fact that I have not received any interview invites yet. Is anyone else in the same boat as me? It seems like everyone is getting invites on this forum. Urgh the wait is KILLING ME!!:mad:

i just rechecked their msar, ur chances aret bad actually lol.

Last edited:
complete 10/18 and asking if you are still in okay shape? wasn't the 18th like monday?

Not to be debbie-downer, but I'd have to say just getting in somewhere is not good enough.

This is a school you will be committed to for years to come. It is your future, and everything you have worked for.

If I were you, I'd wait a year, find where I actually WANT to go, build my app, and reapply VERY early to that school and others that I would want to be at.

In hindsight, there is absolutely NO good reason to rush in to medical school. They will take everything from you, it will be the entirety of your life, maybe for a decade. Don't treat this decision lightly. School choice matters a heck of a lot more in med school than it did in undergrad.

To put it into perspective, I applied to 22 schools with 30Q and 3.75. All of my apps (including secondaries) were complete in June, and I have received 6 interview invites and 10 rejections (most because I was OOS). Although your MCAT is greater than mine by 3, the difference in time between submitting our apps makes our MCAT's virtually on the same level. In only applying to 8 schools, I'm guessing that you will get 2 interviews.

Your post is interesting to me because I applied last year (I am a reapplicant) to only 8 schools and received one interview. I feel your pain, but the reality of it is that you may have to reapply if things go south.

I wish you the best of luck and really hope you get in this year, but if you don't, ENJOY YOUR YEAR OFF. I was devastated when I had to face this reality, but it has turned out to be really great so far.

Before you start thinking about a year off though, grab a cup of joe, sit back, and relax. It is still in the mid-season for most schools. You will be fine, and one day you will be an MD...in the grand scheme of things (4yrs undergrad, 4 yrs med school, at least 3 yrs residency), one year is nothing!

Well, if I was you I would add more skools that accept ppl with lower stats than yours. To me I would love to go to a skool I prefer but med skool is med skool. Get in were you fit in. I been complete at 16 skools since early september and have had 5 invites so far. Best of luck to you!!! Thats just my take. Im a re-applicant.

To put it into perspective, I applied to 22 schools with 30Q and 3.75. All of my apps (including secondaries) were complete in June, and I have received 6 interview invites and 10 rejections (most because I was OOS). Although your MCAT is greater than mine by 3, the difference in time between submitting our apps makes our MCAT's virtually on the same level. In only applying to 8 schools, I'm guessing that you will get 2 interviews.

Your post is interesting to me because I applied last year (I am a reapplicant) to only 8 schools and received one interview. I feel your pain, but the reality of it is that you may have to reapply if things go south.

I wish you the best of luck and really hope you get in this year, but if you don't, ENJOY YOUR YEAR OFF. I was devastated when I had to face this reality, but it has turned out to be really great so far.

Before you start thinking about a year off though, grab a cup of joe, sit back, and relax. It is still in the mid-season for most schools. You will be fine, and one day you will be an MD...in the grand scheme of things (4yrs undergrad, 4 yrs med school, at least 3 yrs residency), one year is nothing!

Out of curiousity, what did you spend your year off doing?

I can't believe how many schools people can apply to here. I'm lucky that I can afford the four that I applied to. Oh and OP I finished my secondaries mid August and haven't heard back from any of my schools either, just for the record.

I'm confused. Why is everyone saying 'skool' in place of 'school'? Really, people?

To the OP: Don't worry too much yet, it's still relatively early. My original plan was if I hadn't heard anything about interviews by mid-Nov, I would put some serious consideration and work into my backup plan (which was probably going to be grad school). I'm fortunate to not have to worry about a backup plan anymore. I do think it was a little silly of you to only apply to 8 schools. A 33 MCAT is good, but not amazing - seems some safeties would have been in order. But alas. We'll be hoping for you and your success in getting interviews. I agree with Ursa's prediction that you will receive two interviews out of 8 schools.

To everyone: I've learned so much in this application cycle - mainly from my fellow SDN-ers (hence the gold donor shield). One of the most important things I learned was to apply as broadly as you possibly can, and to get everything in EARLY. Like really early. My stats are by no means mind-blowing (29S, 3.78), but three interviews and one acceptance down, I'm pretty ridiculously proud of myself and so so thankful for all the advice I have received on this site. If there's anything I can pass on, let it be anecdotal evidence for these most important lessons referenced above.

Good luck.

Out of curiousity, what did you spend your year off doing?

I joined a division of AmeriCorps called Community HealthCorps, and I am working in a Dr's office as a diabetes counselor. Basically my pt's get checked in, go to the exam room, and I see them for ~10 mins before letting the provider come in to see them for their chief complaint. It's really great experience...I am developing bedside manners, getting very comfortable with the 1-on-1 aspect of medicine, and I frequently am mistaken for a Dr! :) Not to mention it is absolutely GOLDEN for apps and interviews.

no. I know how it works. I have perused those "school specific" threads many times over. i am not a first-time applicant and know how long it takes... true there are some schools that might have ranked my application and put into "competitive pool" and those few schols might still invite me for interviews. but schools like suny upstate and gwu basically rejected me already. and i am certain that every school where i have been complete for over 4weeks has reviewed my application. i am ****ed.

Not to be rude but if you know how it works and have applied before why did you apply in September? Early is way better, I'm just confused as to why people apply late when they have been through the process before.

I feel everyone's pain, in the same boat, 31Q, 3.86, 0 interviews, applied to 27 schools, submitted in October, so far 5 rejections from top-tier schools like U Chicago, Mayo, Vanderbilt, etc, 2 holds-GW and Penn, and the rest is up for grabs!
There is no need to lose hope, we still have January and February, so lets enjoy the free time while we have it ;)
goodluck

I feel everyone's pain, in the same boat, 31Q, 3.86, 0 interviews, applied to 27 schools, submitted in October, so far 5 rejections from top-tier schools like U Chicago, Mayo, Vanderbilt, etc, 2 holds-GW and Penn, and the rest is up for grabs!
There is no need to lose hope, we still have January and February, so lets enjoy the free time while we have it ;)
goodluck

Were twins... I also have rejections from mayo, vanderbilt, and upenn. :(

Last edited:

Just so you know this is not even close to true. Been complete at Cornell since beginning of July and just got my invite there yesterday. 19+ weeks. There's a lot more to the application process than just "wait for them to see your application, review your application, then interview/reject"

something you shld look at is your essay. And what you put in your activities section.

Sometimes, those 2 can trump whatever GPA/MCAT combination you have going, when it comes to getting invited for an interview..

you should buy the MSAR, best 25 bucks ever spent, tells you details of each school, what their state residency requirements are, if they accept more oos than in state, average gpas and MCAT scores