starflower

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Are schools not as likely to accept you if you apply to lots of med schools? Have people been asked about other schools they have applied to at interviews? I'm from CA, so with our competetive schools, I need to apply to lots of them.

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I think that you can be asked in interviews where else you're applying/interviewing, etc...

but unless you answer, schools don't know where else you're applying until they make you an acceptance offer...

i would think that it would be tough to apply to tons of schools based on how time consuming (and $ consuming!) secondaries are...

check out the thread with the poll about how many schools people are applying to for more answers to this...

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
starflower said:
Are schools not as likely to accept you if you apply to lots of med schools? Have people been asked about other schools they have applied to at interviews? I'm from CA, so with our competetive schools, I need to apply to lots of them.
Schools don't know where else you apply until late in the process. But you have to put together and pay for secondaries, so there is a limit to how many you can reasonably do and afford. I think the statistics suggest that for the average student, the optimal number of applications is 12-15, and for a sub-average student it is somewhat more (probably 20ish).

About the Ads

narc

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Status
If you have money, go through the schools that have:
1) no essays for their secondaries = no time wasted
2) Schools that screen before they send a secondary = at least you are worth enough to get a secondary
3) schools that send secondary only if you will get an interview

LauraPaz

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
St. Louis
laurapaz.livejournal.com
Status
Medical Student
Law2Doc said:
But you have to put together and pay for secondaries, so there is a limit to how many you can reasonably do and afford.
Also keep in mind that, regardless of how much money you have, scheduling tons of interviews will be nearly impossible if you are still in school or work full-time. It sounds like the OP is talking about applying to several schools in-state, so that will help as they won't all be several hundred miles away. But still, you will have to miss school/work to interview at some point, so consider just how much time you're willing to take off, and whether you like a school enough to do it.

Gabujabu

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Vanderbilt

chewsnuffles said:
Does anyone know which schools only send secondary with interview that are kind to OOS'ers

OCPreMed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
when you say, Late in the proces they will find out.. what do you mean??

when they offer you an acceptance, they find out where you applied to ? or just where you are waiting on ...??? I'm new?

deuist

Stealthfully Sarcastic
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
Law2Doc has beat me to the punch as usual. As he mentioned, schools will not know where else you've applied until April 15. Even then, I think that they only know where you've been accepted (after March 15 I think) and where you've been waitlisted (April). REL is an adcom and occasionally reads SDN. He could give you a more accurate answer. On a personal note, he (REL) called me late in the application process to tell me that he was removing my name from the waitlist. He said, "Don't worry. I see that you've already got some other acceptances." That conversation scared me. Until then, I had no idea that adcoms knew about an applicant's acceptances.

There is no set number of schools to which you should apply. You should at least send applications to all of your state schools. Then, get the MSAR and find universities that (1) fit your personality and (2) have average scores that match yours. As Law2Doc stated, the final number of schools you decide to apply to depends on your strength as an applicant and how much money you're willing to spend.

About the Ads