Is it bad to cite a prosthodontist experience in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlossFloss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did prosthodontist and general shadowing, but I enjoyed prosthodontist much more. should I still talk about the general dentist experience?

Members don't see this ad.

You should talk more about yourself than your shadowing experience. That can be a small part, but you may want to focus more on what you learned from your shadowing than what you saw. In mine, I had 1/4 paragraphs about shadowing; I combined my perio and general dentist shadowing, but that only occupied a sentence or two. The rest of the paragraph was about what I learned about the profession and myself as a result of my shadowing. Some others might have different advice though.

I agree with NMC for the most part. There's no one right way of doing it, and your PS allows for a ton of flexibility. Unlike NMC, I began two of my paragraphs with things that made an impact on me while shadowing and did entire paragraphs painting the picture as to why those were significant for me, with examples of my activities/interest/future plans.

I shadowed a general dentist and periodontist, but only mentioned the general dentist.

Depends if the school you are applying to has post doc programs. If it is only for general dentistry, they might feel you aren't interested in general. I would lightly discuss how you learned specialized techniques you are excited to be able to implement into general dentistry.