Is it bad to have a relative write a letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shoud It be sent?

• Yes

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 72 86.7%

• Total voters

ascg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A relative of mine wrote me a letter , he's an accomplished Doctor, and basically explaned my backround and how ill be a good candidate.

Is it a bad idea to send this letter as an extra letter to schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely a bad idea.

Most schools will blatantly tell you that letters from relatives are not accepted.

Bad idea.

Just a heads up there is a search button. I know it's kind of hard to find, but as a future physician I have confidence you will find it next time!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

crap. Accidentally clicked yes, instead of no lol. So ignore that 1 yes.

If you don't have the same last names, tell him to omit the part where you guys are relatives. If you have the same last name, then forget about it unless it's a common last name (eg Smith). If it's Abdelfourassi, then it'll be a much tougher sell.

crap. Accidentally clicked yes, instead of no lol. So ignore that 1 yes.

Yeah the title was "is it a bad idea" and the poll question was "should it be sent" I was confused to.

Yes it's a bad idea, no it should not be sent.

I'm sure he'll convey his lack of bias. I'm also sure that the moon is made out of spare ribs.

"As an accomplished OB/GYN I delivered ascg into this world. I've also been attending ascg's birthday parties ever since he was born, and I was there when ascg spoke first word: Doctor. After I bought him his first anatomy book when he turned five, and saw the look of wonder in his eyes as he poured through the pages, I knew that one day ascg will make a fine doctor"

"As an accomplished OB/GYN I delivered ascg into this world. I've also been attending ascg's birthday parties ever since he was born, and I was there when ascg spoke first word: Doctor. After I bought him his first anatomy book when he turned five, and saw the look of wonder in his eyes as he poured through the pages, I knew that one day ascg will make a fine doctor"

Lol!

"as an accomplished ob/gyn i delivered ascg into this world. I've also been attending ascg's birthday parties ever since he was born, and i was there when ascg spoke first word: Doctor. After i bought him his first anatomy book when he turned five, and saw the look of wonder in his eyes as he poured through the pages, i knew that one day ascg will make a fine doctor"

lmao

No. Letter from parents, uncles, etc. never works.

Not true. My friend is an M1. He used 3 letters and 1 was from his Dad. However, his dad was one of his undergrad profs, but he fully disclosed this in the letter. I would agree that this would be an exception and is not typical.

Not true. My friend is an M1. He used 3 letters and 1 was from his Dad. However, his dad was one of his undergrad profs, but he fully disclosed this in the letter. I would agree that this would be an exception and is not typical.

He couldn't find another person to write the letter?! Many schools expressly forbid having a family member writing it, no matter the non-familial relationship.