Is it bad to have too high a GPA?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JScrusader, Nov 3, 2002.

1. JScrusader

JScrusader Senior Member

Does anyone have a 4.0? I have a friend who graduated with a 4.0 in biochem from a second or third tier liberal arts college. I guess interviewers asked him about grade inflation at his school. Anyone else have this experience?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bujji13

bujji13 Senior Member

Absolutely.

If you have any higher than 3.963292828, you are automatically disqualified for admission at all top 20 medical schools. :rolleyes:

No, a high GPA in itself is never a problem. It seemed like your friend was questioned about it with reference to his particular school/school tier. (Not that I'm saying that's OK)

4. johnstoner

johnstoner Ben Franklin on Hashish

I don't know why anyone would as if its bad to have too high...i'd rather have too high than not as high. Even if grade inflation...you have to have the highest gpa if possible

theres no penalty for a high gpa...i think this thread sounds loooodikris...

:rolleyes:

5. siempre595

I heard someone last year from my undergrad school got the question "if you have a 4.0, you must have no life outside class, right?" clearly that could be a problem, but the guy said he did, and started talking about going abroad and some of his extracurriculars. so i guess it looks bad if you have a 4.0 and no personality. but we all have such great personalities on here, i'm sure that's no problem, right??
    :D

6. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    It depends on your performance on the MCAT. I have a 4.0 and will be applying next year, from talking to some adcoms my MCAT score should reflect my GPA. So having a perfect GPA can bite you in the a$$ if your MCAT score is not good. This is specially true if you come from a small undergraduate school (like I do) and adcoms may not be aware of the quality and how rigorous the classes are. I know that when applying to my state schools the 4.0 will be looked upon favorably even w/o a very high MCAT, but when applying to out of state schools that have no idea of my school then applying with a low MCAT will be looked upon unfavorably.

7. heelshmeel

heelshmeel Tar Heel Bred

I couldnt agree more :p

8. finney

finney Member

Is your friend a MS4 at U of South Carolina?

9. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

I don't know how it could be bad to have a high GPA. Sounds like much aworrying about nothing...

10. JScrusader

JScrusader Senior Member

I think he got a 27 on the MCAT so I guess that is why some schools questioned his grades.

11. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

I think it only looks bad if you have a proportionately low MCAT. Because... the schools are going to think "ok... how did this kid who doesn't test well get a 4.0?" They might think you picked an easy major. But if you have a high MCAT, then... no.

But this is ALL speculation...

12. one of my friends with really high grades got waitlisted at a bottom tier school because they knew she wasnt going to attend- which is annoying since she paid to travel to the interview (and apply).

13. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

They should have had the discretion not to interview her if they weren't considering taking her. That's just obnoxious.