This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotlikequeso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dentistry is a respected profession. How would an admissions committe view an appilcant saying they want the prestige that is associated with being a dentist?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It looks terrible, don't do it.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is that why you want to be a dentist?

Dentistry is a respected profession. How would an admissions committe view an appilcant saying they want the prestige that is associated with being a dentist?

Thank you

Instead of saying "prestige," there are other ways to word it.

Example:

I enjoy the prospect of being a respectable leader within the community so that I may further promote the well-being of others.

*However, if you are contextualizing this in a manner that conveys superiority, you should not do it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Heed the advice here.

Can you imagine this conversation in the premed forums? They would've jumped on OP and berated him for his motives, meanwhile doing it with a sense of superiority and false altruism. Plus we know why a good portion of them are going med anyway: "prestige" haha.

You can soften it by mentioning that $ is just as important.

Reactions: 22 users
I feel like I never reaped any benefits from the prestige of being a doctor except getting respect in the military. People just seem to jump to the notion that I have money, but are not necessarily impressed by anything. I feel like I've gotten more respect by playing a musical instrument or dancing than I did being a doctor.

Reactions: 2 users
How prestigious is dentistry supposed to be anyway? I think unless it's an MD the average person really only cares about how much $ you make. I mean most people I talk to are unaware it's even a 4 year program and a lady asked me the other day if I was applying for an internship...

The average person isn't so educated as we are about these things.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you guys for the honesty and for not pulling any punches lol. I need that. Everything that has been said has been taken into account.

Reactions: 1 users
How prestigious is dentistry supposed to be anyway? I think unless it's an MD the average person really only cares about how much $ you make. I mean most people I talk to are unaware it's even a 4 year program and a lady asked me the other day if I was applying for an internship...
It's none of the average person's business how much money you make.

Thank you

If you want prestige you better go to a real-doctor school and get the MD. Aint no prestige in DDS or DMD

Nearly all professional health programs are prestigious in some form or another, however- that alone really shouldn't be a deciding factor.

You should enjoy the work and study itself in the field. If you do things for $ or prestige alone and actually end up becoming a dentist... you may have a rough time going to work and wish you pursued a different path.

Surely, there is something more influential that you can mention for your Personal Statement.

There was a funny discussion on SDN that applicants may want to have the most eye-catching PS possible to make their app stand out.
You should talk about owning a ferrari and a million dollar house after graduation and really flaunting the prestige of making 6 figures. ;)

All jokes aside, I think it's not good to talk about it because respect should come from what kind of person you are rather than what kind of job you have.
Even the President of the United States can lose people's respect for their actions/behavior.

I think the simple rule of treating others how you want to be treated is expected to be followed. Therefore, prestige from becoming a dentist shouldn't be included in a PS.
Rather, try to emphasize how you can become a respectable dentist in the future through discussing your life experiences so far. Show them what your stats can't explain about you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's funny how "prestige" and "money" are such taboo topics in the world of dentistry. If these two things aren't tied to dentistry, how many people would make a living out of working in people's dirty mouths all day for 30-40 years?

Yes, OP, it looks bad.

If you want more prestige, be on top of your class and specialize in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. In our Hospital, They are very respected because they reconstruct faces ,Do oral cancer surgery, some head and neck pathology, Can manage airways in case of emergency by Tracheostomy and intubation. OMFS is a dental specialty.