Is it bad to shadow DOs only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WSUCougar2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think my chances at allopathic would be smaller if I only shadowed one osteopathic emergency physician? or should I do shadow and MD and a DO?

Is it possible to shadow two doctors at once? (different days and hours, but same time frame?)

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Before this turns rediculous, let me step in and say that it isn't going to hurt you. It seems to me that Adcoms are more interested in what the recommender has to say about you than what medicine degree they hold. Furthermore, professionally, there's no difference between the two types of physicians.

An emergency medicine physician is going to follow the same standard of care, whether they happen to be an MD or a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, ok. That's good news.

I was thinking they might look down on LOR's from DOs instead of MDs.

Oh no, I definitely don't look down on DOs.

Hate the people who do too.

My only real shadowing experience was with a PA. Made no difference

Did shadowing a physician's assistant give you the same exposure you would have received you shadowed an MD or a DO?

I think you should stick to M.D.'s. D.O.'s aren't even real people.

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to incite or to be inflammatory.

clinical experience is clinical experience. because no one in the medical community cares about the letters behind the name. what matter is the TITLE.

so no one cares if you get a letter from or shadow a DO. they WILL care if he happens to be, say, the chief of CV anesthesia or surgery or whatever.