is it because I am an Iranian scientist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmehr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a thread a while ego, asking about age and getting residency place in USA. 150 visit is recorded so far to this thread but no reply. is it because I am an Iranian or the grammatical error in the title?! is there any other reason.

Members don't see this ad.

mmmehr said:
I posted a thread a while ego, asking about age and getting residency place in USA. 150 visit is recorded so far to this thread but no reply. is it because I am an Iranian or the grammatical error in the title?! is there any other reason.

I don't know about the others, but I didn't reply because I don't know a lot about IMG residency stuff, as most of us on this thread are still in training. I think you might be better off posting in the IMG residency forum. I don't know about the legalities, but I think your scientific background might make some places more forgiving of your foreign education. Still, you would likely have to repeat your residency in the US as far as I know.

People also may not have replied because your summary of your training so far was self-congratulatory, and also put down the programs most of us are in by suggesting we are not going to be "real" MD-PhDs.

Lastly, yes, your grammar was wrong. Instead of "How much does age matters for getting residency place?", it should be "How much does age matter in obtaining a residency position?"

With these three reasons not to respond, you being Iranian is beside the point (anyway, didn't you say that you're British now?).

If I were you, I would work on growing thicker skin, as America can be harsh. You already reading into things this early in the game is a bad sign for someone who wants to make a life here.

Good luck in your endeavors

Thank you Hard24get for your feedback: I owe you a pint.

on the back of my mind, I always felt working with americans is easier than other people because they are more frank (less sarcastic), friendly and welcoming to immigrants compared to other nations.

1- I thought Americans wont be offended when I said joke(a genuine MD- Ph.D that took 20 years of my life nonstop). in its reality, it was a black joke to myself, not to offend others and an advice from moderators about being funny sometimes. so, to show it is a joke not sarcasm, I used emoticons. perhaps I typed a wrong emoticons that sparked this mis understanding.

2- Contrary to be self-congratulatory about my training. I tried to transfer the feeling of how unrewarding and hard it was that I am burning to come back to medicine.

3- please do not forget,there should be a reason why MD/PhD program is established. infact,your are the geniun MD/Ph.D because you are fresh in both fields when you graduate. but I should retrain myself of medicine after 9 years of pure research (I have not practiced medicine except on myself and on my fish!). Now you say: who is a genuine MD/Ph.D? you or me? certainely, you are, i believe.

4- if I could come out of Iran before 1997, do you think I had any hesitation to persue an MD/PhD some where else or waste my time on a full MD program and then a full PhD course? I am sure I would have chosen the former. so, dont think i tried to put down your MD/PhD, please. Hurting others verbally,does not exist in our culture. unfortunately,president Ahmadi-nejad is an absolute exception among Iranians :confused: .

I appologize from anybody who feels offended by these unclarities I made and ask again:

How much does age matter in obtaining a residency position for an international MD/PhD aged 41?

Regards
mmmehr

Hard24Get said:
I don't know about the others, but I didn't reply because I don't know a lot about IMG residency stuff, as most of us on this thread are still in training. I think you might be better off posting in the IMG residency forum. I don't know about the legalities, but I think your scientific background might make some places more forgiving of your foreign education. Still, you would likely have to repeat your residency in the US as far as I know.

People also may not have replied because your summary of your training so far was self-congratulatory, and also put down the programs most of us are in by suggesting we are not going to byears of work e "real" MD-PhDs.

Lastly, yes, your grammar was wrong. Instead of "How much does age matters for getting residency place?", it should be "How much does age matter in obtaining a residency position?"

With these three reasons not to respond, you being Iranian is beside the point (anyway, didn't you say that you're British now?).

If I were you, I would work on growing thicker skin, as America can be harsh. You already reading into things this early in the game is a bad sign for someone who wants to make a life here.

Good luck in your endeavors

Members don't see this ad :)
Age can be a factor, here are two anecdotes.

1. When I was an undergrad, my study partner was in her mid 40s and trying to get in to med school. Her MCAT, after one or two repeats, was about 30 total. Her GPA from the first stab at college (in the 1960s) was pretty low, but in her new incarnation was very high. Finally, she was a funny and intelligent conversationalist, and I'm sure she did very well in interviews. She applied very broadly but saw a relatively low return on her applications. Eventually she was accepted to our state school, but after some wait. Along the way she was told that since she'd be in her 50s once she finished residency, the interviewer was concerned she'd retire after just 10 year of practice.

2. Another friend of mine has worked as a technician for the last several years. After some self evaluation, he realized he was really interested in both dentistry and research. Ahead of applying he spoke with several DDS/PhD program directors, and one told him that at age 29 it would be much harder for him to learn new things when compared to his younger classmates. I can't give any follow up on him, because ultimately he decided against applying.

Take this info how you will. I'm giving examples of people trying to start their training, not someone who would be considered half-way through. But it does give some idea of the prejudice out there. My guess is that with your experience you should be able to get a residency. Besides, 41 isn't that old. Since you're on the MD/PhD forum you have to realize that many of us graduate at 30+, and I've known several that were close to 40 when they finished; as far as I know age was no issue when applying.

If you are concerned about your age and chances, can't you just contact residency directors at several universities in the US that you are interested in and tell them your situation and see what they think? I would think you would get much more valuable information that way. I think the lack of replies on this forum is because most of us are still in the beginning or middle of our training.

I do know that any foriegner who comes to the US with a medical degree, must take tests and somehow get certified to practice in the US. It sucks but it's like that for all foriegners not just Iranians. One of my good friends has an MD/PhD from China, but she can't practice medicine in the US. She is doing a postdoc right now but will probably return to China in a couple of years. If she did continue her career here it would be very difficult. Her residency in China wouldn't count and she would be basically starting out as an intern. Not really an appealing situation for most people. Continuing in research however I think is more doable, but it is still very competitive and I think in many ways foriegners may be at a slight disadvantage compared to Americans.