Quantcast

Is it because I'm black?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakhter

Removed
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I despise affirmative action and i'm a minority. It's just a solid way for admission committees to prove that they are providing admissions to minorities. Where as we all know the ones that have SUB PAR stats are just seen as a token

Guero

2QT2Bcis Plaidapus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whites are not overrepresnted in medicine. They are poportionately represented relative to their numbers in the population.
:eyebrow: Good lord, holmes, at least do some research before posting something inflammatory to ensure you're not immediately refuted:

"The Sullivan Commission, chaired by Louis W. Sullivan, president emeritus of the Morehouse College of Medicine and former secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, concluded that while blacks, Hispanics, and American Indians make up more than 25 percent of the U.S. population, they are only 9 percent of the nation's nurses, 6 percent of the doctors, and 5 percent of the dentists."

Source: http://www.jbhe.com/features/47_medicalschools.html

Aaaaand, I'm out, taking a back seat to the tailspin. Enjoy my fellow former forensics club kids! :)
010.jpg

BLACKMD

Reaction score
And so it begins....the gauntlet has been thrown

I think someone just stirred the pot! *snickers*. I can't remember the last time I was offended by anything. The army is kind of a nasty place lol. You better bet your prereqs if I get into a dangerous spot I will be applying to all HBC. Speaking of which... Have you all seen the Today interview with the girl who had a 4.5 GPA and great EC? Yea she was white and denied from all Ivy leagues. She basically blames it on not being diverse enough. She says if she knew then what she knows now she "wouldn't have a problem walking out of a closet or wearing a headress". I am very crass so I though it was comical (and somewhat true) but please believe butthurt was prevalent after her article/interview was released.

BlueCircle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eyebrow: Good lord, holmes, at least do some research before posting something inflammatory to ensure you're not immediately refuted:

"The Sullivan Commission, chaired by Louis W. Sullivan, president emeritus of the Morehouse College of Medicine and former secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, concluded that while blacks, Hispanics, and American Indians make up more than 25 percent of the U.S. population, they are only 9 percent of the nation's nurses, 6 percent of the doctors, and 5 percent of the dentists."

Source: http://www.jbhe.com/features/47_medicalschools.html

Aaaaand, I'm out, taking a back seat to the tailspin. Enjoy my fellow former forensics club kids! :)
010.jpg

Whoops, I meant their numbers in Medical school, not practicing physicians. I should have been more clear. My apologies.

BLACKMD

Reaction score
I despise affirmative action and i'm a minority. It's just a solid way for admission committees to prove that they are providing admissions to minorities. Where as we all know the ones that have SUB PAR stats are just seen as a token

This.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think someone just stirred the pot! *snickers*. I can't remember the last time I was offended by anything. The army is kind of a nasty place lol. You better bet your prereqs if I get into a dangerous spot I will be applying to all HBC. Speaking of which... Have you all seen the Today interview with the girl who had a 4.5 GPA and great EC? Yea she was white and denied from all Ivy leagues. She basically blames it on not being diverse enough. She says if she knew then what she knows now she "wouldn't have a problem walking out of a closet or wearing a headress". I am very crass so I though it was comical (and somewhat true) but please believe butthurt was prevalent after her article/interview was released.

There was no sympathy for that girl. It was posted before, which resulted in people mocking her :p

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was no sympathy for that girl. It was posted before, which resulted in people mocking her :p

Well it was just rather ignorant. She focuses on her lack of "diversity" yet ignores the scores of other white students who walked into these schools with their heads free to the world. In fact, many of them have acceptances to multiple Ivies.

The Beyonder

Reaction score

And here it is....

Talespin_graphic.gif

Chuchunezumis

Reaction score
I don't think it's irresponsible she changed her advice upon hearing your race, since race plays a pretty big role in acceptance.

mievans

Reaction score
One black dude getting some love really doesn't affect the total picture of medical education.

Even if you get a full ride, it'll all be pay it all back (in spades :) ) every time someone asks a stupid question, makes a wild assumption, or the bile burns your esophagus upon hearing "You're very articulate!"

In the bigger picture, nothing in life is ever free. :)

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

iave9963

Knuckles
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

:nono: Do you even know the basis for affirmative action? I love when a few minorities come on SDN and rant about how they hate AA, how they will not disclose their URM status when applying, etc.Usually most if not all you guys are just following suite what which you think is the general consensus on SDN about AA. I am willing to bet, most if not all minorities that say they hate AA didn't not grow up in economically disadvantaged environments and will more than likely check that little box when applying. While there are a few stories of the URM with a low 20 Mcat and sub 3.3 gpa that get into decent schools, most have respectable stats. All this anti AA sentiment is fueled from a few butt hurt pre-med kids, who can't possibly fathom that THEY THEMSELVES are the reason they didn't get into their "top choice." It's plenty of Whites/Asians with subpar stats that get into amazing schools. Inane comments like I despise AA just goes to show how little a lot of people understand about the world.

0kazak1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take every edge you have, OP.

I would if I could. I'm half white, half Korean - I'm a mixture of two ethnicities over-represented in medicine. :p

Get the MSAR. Study for MCAT. Apply. Do the stuff on her list to the extent possible in the meantime.

"What gives?" I don't know why she changed her mind. If it was because of your skin, shame on her. What would even be worse is if you took her advice that "the things she had mentioned weren't all that necessary," and didn't get in. If you slack off, you might regret it. Better schools, scholarships, etc.

Guass44, you are right, whites is the group that affirmative action least affects. If anyone should be complaining it the Asians, they get screwed over.

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:nono: Do you even know the basis for affirmative action? I love when a few minorities come on SDN and rant about how they hate AA, how they will not disclose their URM status when applying, etc.Usually most if not all you guys are just following suite what which you think is the general consensus on SDN about AA. I am willing to bet, most if not all minorities that say they hate AA didn't not grow up in economically disadvantaged environments and will more than likely check that little box when applying. While there are a few stories of the URM with a low 20 Mcat and sub 3.3 gpa that get into decent schools, most have respectable stats. All this anti AA sentiment is fueled from a few butt hurt pre-med kids, who can't possibly fathom that THEY THEMSELVES are the reason they didn't get into their "top choice." It's plenty of Whites/Asians with subpar stats that get into amazing schools. Inane comments like I despise AA just goes to show how little a lot of people understand about the world.

Despising affirmative action is hardly an extreme opinion or one that is not shared by many people who are highly intelligent and well versed in the world around them.

Nevermind that URM status has nothing to do with applicants or people being disadvantaged and is instead based on a 'need' for physicians who are more likely to serve certain underserved populations.

0kazak1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Despising affirmative action is hardly an extreme opinion or one that is not shared by many people who are highly intelligent and well versed in the world around them.

Nevermind that URM status has nothing to do with applicants or people being disadvantaged and is instead based on a 'need' for physicians who are more likely to serve certain underserved populations.

I understand this mentality, but there is also the idea that some people who where lucky enough to escape the slums never want to go back.

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand this mentality, but there is also the idea that some people who where lucky enough to escape the slums never want to go back.

Which, in my limited experience is very true. I don't know a single URM who has plans to go to an underserved area or focus on care for the underserved. Then again, the n is very small and I am in surgery, so that might have something to do with that.

iave9963

Knuckles
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

This I can agree with, a few URMs at my school say this often, but you never know, time might change their mind ;)

jakeislove

MS IV
Reaction score

I'm going back.

If I won the lottery, I'd do volunteer work after residency.

plumazul

☮, ♥, & ♫
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

I disagree. The moment the word "despise" was used, the opinion became extreme. It's a "fighting word" meant to incite an emotional response.

Which is exactly what I intend to do.

LiveLoveLearn

Reaction score
Whoops, I meant their numbers in Medical school, not practicing physicians. I should have been more clear. My apologies.

Where are you getting this data? :confused: Take a look at these:

https://www.aamc.org/download/165992/data/msq2010.pdf.pdf

This is a matriculant questionnaire given out by AMCAS through 2010, and still shows a large discrepancy between the percentage of the population that is black and the percentage of medical school matriculants.

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=454&cat=9&sub=108&yr=200&typ=1&o=a&sortc=2

This is a table published by Kaiser that you can play with that is based on graduating medical students. Since U.S. medical school graduation rates are super high, is should be a fairly accurate representation of medical school matriculants for 2008. It also shows a very large discrepancy.

BLACKMD

Reaction score
Which, in my limited experience is very true. I don't know a single URM who has plans to go to an underserved area or focus on care for the underserved. Then again, the n is very small and I am in surgery, so that might have something to do with that.

Hi. Nice to meet you. I'm a URM (apparently) that plans on serving in an underserved area of medicine. I volunteer in a free medical clinic as a medical assistant. Plan on continuing this in medical school. And will donate MD hours when I finish. I never went to the doctor as a kid. Didn't visit a dentist until 4 years ago. I feel for these people. I am these people. Not because I'm black, but because I grew up poor.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me first say, my last name is Black, that's the reason for my screen name.

Hopefully this isn't a repetitive topic, and I didn't want to post it in URM thread as I want everyone's opinion. Yesterday I spoke with an admissions counselor at my state school. I told her my stats are cGPA 3.6
sGPA 3.54
No MCAT yet
Army 7 years
7 years hospital experience both clinical and non (paid)
Free clinic volunteering
Peds/FP shadowing
No research yet
Etc

Anyway, she wasn't digging my stats, and gave me a few pointers. Once she found out I was black (or light brownish hehe) she did a 180 and backtracked telling me some of the things she had just mentioned weren't all that necessary (post bac work, research, gap year) considering I'm a URM. What gives? I'm not saying I'm not grateful for opportunities but I almost feel like I'm cheating the system. I must say, medical school is the only thing in life where being black and poor has been advantageous to me. End rant

Not gonna read the thread, but your advisor sucks mainly for blanket suggesting postbac/research/gap year for a perfectly acceptable GPA esp. in context of demonstration of a lot of maturity and experience
Hi. Nice to meet you. I'm a URM (apparently) that plans on serving in an underserved area of medicine. I volunteer in a free medical clinic as a medical assistant. Plan on continuing this in medical school. And will donate MD hours when I finish. I never went to the doctor as a kid. Didn't visit a dentist until 4 years ago. I feel for these people. I am these people. Not because I'm black, but because I grew up poor.

I hope that's true for many reasons and I applaud your intention. But with all due respect you'll have to come back to us down the line and tell us you've actually gone through with it.

BLACKMD

Reaction score
^^ especially for MSU. They are by no means top-tier. Ill be here plenty and update you all on what I've done. But for now... Those are my intentions.

Fakhter

Removed
Reaction score

You only took part of what I said and tried to construct an opinion. You failed to mention the token aspect of what I previously stated. Do you really believe that the rationale behind why they ask for your URM status is because they want the right amount of representation. If so you are mistaken ed because they only ask because they don't want a Civil Case against them. In their mind they just say, "So lets just accept this Native American Child so they can stay off our backs."

khrisskhoras

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Then why have HBCs and schools that give heavy preference to minorities if we could just use AA instead? The point of the minority-dominant schools is to give minorities a unique opportunity to acquire the training necessary to become a doctor in their communities. Now to set aside schools for them AND give them preference at other schools is racist and biased. We already have schools that give preference to minorities, there is no need for other schools to do the same.

chrissx

Removed
Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

The excuse for lowering standards is "historical factors", and yet other groups that were oppressed outperform them. Even when they almost give away seats, URMs dont show up in the numbers that they should.

Look at asians. We discriminate against them, and those little guys had to swim here and learn to speak english and slave away in a chinese restaurant. And the small penis jokes.

When your culture says success is b-ball, rappin, or slingin' rock, you can't expect to be taken seriously by anyone.

BLACKMD

Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

The excuse for lowering standards is "historical factors", and yet other groups that were oppressed outperform them. Even when they almost give away seats, URMs dont show up in the numbers that they should.

Look at asians. We discriminate against them, and those little guys had to swim here and learn to speak english and slave away in a chinese restaurant. And the small penis jokes.

When your culture says success is b-ball, rappin, or slingin' rock, you can't expect to be taken seriously by anyone.

Oh so true. Lowering standards should be based on income level/access to education. If the opportunity to learn wasn't there, then it just wasn't there. It shouldn't be based on race. Yet there is generally a trend and a relationship between income and race so maybe that would make no difference.

khrisskhoras

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

Russell Peters is pre-med? lol jk

TheWeeIceMan

And like that... *poof*... he's gone.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh so true. Lowering standards should be based on income level/access to education. If the opportunity to learn wasn't there, then it just wasn't there. It shouldn't be based on race. Yet there is generally a trend and a relationship between income and race so maybe that would make no difference.

This was a much nicer response than that post deserved.

Copernicium

wenk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

Not sure if srs...

iave9963

Knuckles
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
You only took part of what I said and tried to construct an opinion. You failed to mention the token aspect of what I previously stated. Do you really believe that the rationale behind why they ask for your URM status is because they want the right amount of representation. If so you are mistaken ed because they only ask because they don't want a Civil Case against them. In their mind they just say, "So lets just accept this Native American Child so they can stay off our backs."

I ignored the token aspect because that's assuming that it's just a numbers game alone which it clearly is not. Like previously mentioned so many times before there are ORMs that get into good schools with subpar stats. Do you think adcom view them as tokens too? The rest of what you said can't be proven and sounds like s*** of bull so.....

URM's are a joke.

:laugh: You're not serious. Let me guess, a URM "took your spot" huh?

Fakhter

Removed
Reaction score
I ignored the token aspect because that's assuming that it's just a numbers game alone which it clearly is not. Like previously mentioned so many times before there are ORMs that get into good schools with subpar stats. Do you think adcom view them as tokens too? The rest of what you said can't be proven and sounds like s*** of bull so.....

:laugh: You're not serious. Let me guess, a URM "took your spot" huh?

In the 60's schools were allowed to be segregated as long as they were equal. Both schools had AC... sounds equal right? Except certain black schools only turned their AC on certain days because their AC was poorly maintained due to the lack of funding. The board of education avoided a civil suit because technically the facilities were equal. Same thing goes for AA, they admit a token and basically make him/her the poster child for AA. When we all know they couldn't give a damn.

BLACKMD

Reaction score
This was a much nicer response than that post deserved.

Yea, I didn't come her to fight or argue. Just to discuss. I agree with most of what was said even if it was said in a "bitchassness" kind of way *shrugs*

iave9963

Knuckles
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Serious, not serious Took me a minute to decipher the first time I seen it as well.

Girly X

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

Wow. So much people hate in your post. Hopefully, the adcoms kept you out of med school. How do you plan on helping all kinds of people when you have these kinds of thoughts and think in terms of stereotypes?

And this thread has turned ugly. Sigh. At least we did well for race relations for one day :laugh:

La Presse

Due to the fact....
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

haha...umad. :laugh:

Guero

2QT2Bcis Plaidapus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

:troll:

jr93

Reaction score
I like this thread

Me too. It's funny to see who is insecure about getting accepted or has already been rejected. Just playing the numbers at an average school, they more than likely got beat by 3-6 white males with worse stats than them assuming these people are the "I got a 32 or 33 and should get in everywhere" crowd. It may come as a surprise to those people but adcoms evaluate people pretty well. Some of them may even be psychiatrists so you should work on your people skills because many of these adcoms have been at this for a long time. Then again, the Dunning-Kruger effect may be in play with some of these people that got their spot "stolen".

Jumoke

Reaction score
I swear at least 1/3 of the classes at Meharry and Howard are asian kids! I interviewed at both. Why have hbcu's? Becuase those colleges were started in a time when white people wouldn't allow us in their schools!

But they allow you in their schools now :rolleyes:

beBrave

Goodbye until we meet again
Removed
Reaction score
Ha, once you reach this level in higher education race means nothing. They don't just hand out licenses to kill people. You're gonna earn it regardless if you are Black, White, Asian or Green.

Mt Kilimanjaro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

AsianThatsRacist.gif

beBrave

Goodbye until we meet again
Removed
Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

ooh I'm telling Jesse.

jakeislove

MS IV
Reaction score
Ha, once you reach this level in higher education race means nothing. They don't just hand out licenses to kill people. You're gonna earn it regardless if you are Black, White, Asian or Green.

You could not be more wrong.

I wish you were right but there's simply no magical moment where people stop noticing race.

In a very ugly way; it matters more professionally than a lot of people would ever care to admit.

MedicalAuthor

Class of Twenty Seventeen
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM's are a joke.

Shots fired!!!