Is it better to be your own advisor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biologyjunkie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor was very discouraging even with B and A . So I made appointment with a new advisor. Should I go or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Use SDN as general advice for what you should do and your adviser regarding specific questions about what you should do at your university. Obviously, take both with a grain of salt, but that's all you CAN do, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Why not try. After all, it may help if you have a committee letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with meeting the new one, just remember not to take anything any one person says as gospel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are ALWAYS your own chief advisor. Always always always. So many of the simple mistakes that people make could be avoided simply by taking the initiative and doing their own research on things instead of following one advisor's advice. Don't stop when you get your first answer. Keep digging until you've seen more than one take on an issue, and then figure out which view makes the most sense to you. For EVERYthing, always.

Reactions: 2 users
ditch the premed advisors if they're negative unless you want the committee letter. self-reliance and asking for help here is pretty much the solution. I had to wing it during undergrad because premed advisors' advice was just as discouraging and would have set me up for failure.

I believe you should go, even if you don't expect to get any good information out of the new adviser. At many schools, the pre-med advisers advise the pre-health committees who give your school's committee letters (some places they also sit on the committee), so building a positive relationship with these people can only help.

Thanks so much for the advise
We all must stay encouraged in our endeavors.