nyc76

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'm currently taking physics 1 and anatomy 1 and without sounding too waaaa waaaa-ish its been a difficult semester primarily due to work (Im full time work and take classes at night).

So basically Im in danger of getting a C in physics and am borderline B/C in anatomy with 1 exam each left. This has me contemplating taking a W in one or both of those classes but not sure how that looks.

Ive heard a W looks bad because of the giving up aspect but then a C in a prereq class cant be good either. I hate the thought a W cuz I dont like giving up but Im playing the transcript game now.

My background: I have a BA in polisci from years ago and am going back to school to take my prereqs in sciences for possible pharm or other medical career. So far my gpa is ok at 3.3 but would for sure go down this semester.

So should is it worse to take the W or should I just stick it out go with what I get, knock out the classes that remain and possibly take these over?

Aug 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'm currently taking physics 1 and anatomy 1 and without sounding too waaaa waaaa-ish its been a difficult semester primarily due to work (Im full time work and take classes at night).

So basically Im in danger of getting a C in physics and am borderline B/C in anatomy with 1 exam each left. This has me contemplating taking a W in one or both of those classes but not sure how that looks.

Ive heard a W looks bad because of the giving up aspect but then a C in a prereq class cant be good either. I hate the thought a W cuz I dont like giving up but Im playing the transcript game now.

My background: I have a BA in polisci from years ago and am going back to school to take my prereqs in sciences for possible pharm or other medical career. So far my gpa is ok at 3.3 but would for sure go down this semester.

So should is it worse to take the W or should I just stick it out go with what I get, knock out the classes that remain and possibly take these over?
I actually had this problem when I was doing my prereqs. On one hand, when I faced this pproblem the first time, I took a W in economics for the second time. The second time I was faced with this, I was also working full time, taking ochem II and calculus and one other class I can't recall. Anyway, I actually ended up taking a break from my job and living off loan and scholarship money. The main reason was because I was taking ochem for the second time so I couldn't get anything less than an A. Later, my mentor who was my letter of reccomendation, used this as a strength of mine by being able to prioritize and cutting down my work hours to focus on doing well on my courses. I guess it really depends on the circumstances because you can really explain a W if needed. A C just doesn't look good period. You want As. And you are only taking two courses, science courses, so a W might look bad. If you could possibly cut down work hours, that would be the best bet. If you absolutely can't then I guess you could always stick it out, but if you get a C, you should retake it. Imo.

OP
N

nyc76

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Thanks for the insight. Yeah beleive me this situation has me strongly considering leaving work but with a mortgage and car payment its tough to make that decision. Especially that Im starting to take Orgo next semester I MUST get an A from here on out in everything. Its something Im contemplating but my job is a little different in that my busy season just passed. Im a polisci major as I said so there was just an election and there wont be another for another 2 years.

But looking at my grades the B's are starting to pile up bringing me down to a 3.3 and now I'm bombing these two courses this semester. I thought if I take a W Id have to explain it but that it sounds lame to say "I was busy." Everyone is busy.

What Im thinking about is either do the W or take the C and retake it for sure down the road.

I still have both Orgo's, Anatomy 2, Phys 2, cell and molecular left to complete my prereqs which I would have to absolutely get all A's in...and then possibly retake any C I get this semester. Is that a better option than just taking the W?