PhD/PsyD Is it better to have apa accredited postdocs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychdoc001

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like internships? Basic question but need your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nah. Most important thing is it provides you with the training you want/need the move you closer to your professional goals. If not APA accredited, I do suggest reviewing your state's postdoc requirements to make sure you are meeting them (i.e. Weekly individual supervision etc)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm curious what will happen with this down the road. For as much as it seems like the VA is rapidly moving toward APA accredited postdocs the larger field of psychology is moving away from postdocs at all. Interesting. As far as I've been able to seen it really doesn't matter at all except for minor assistance in some boards.

I’d argue “the field” is not moving away from post-docs, though a couple of states are waiving the requirement. If anything, the field is requiring them more, not just for neuro and rehab.

I’d argue “the field” is not moving away from post-docs, though a couple of states are waiving the requirement. If anything, the field is requiring them more, not just for neuro and rehab.
That doesn't seem to be the perspective of APA, nor do I see APA loudly calling for increased postdocs.

To postdoc or not to postdoc?
"Not all future clinicians need postdocs. In fact, 13 states don't require a postdoc for licensure. This number is increasing because state licensure boards are acknowledging that students are coming out of grad programs with more extensive clinical experience, says Grus."

More states forgo a postdoc requirement
"Removing the requirement for a postdoctoral period enables early career psychologists to start practicing sooner and get a jump on paying down debt. A second wave of states is expected to seek changes in the required sequence of training once APA's Council of Representatives approves the updated Model Licensing Act, drafted by APA's Model Licensing Act Task Force."

Reactions: 1 user
I think they are moving away from postdocs and moving toward ABPP certification, which may actually mean they are moving toward more specialized, longer, and structured postdocs and/or those with an ABPP waiver

The fact that this is even an argument points to a consensus problem already. Medical students dont need ask about residency standards.

My take, the field is advocating for post docs and ABPP to be the gold standard. However, the field can barely sort out internship in a organized manner. There are not enough post docs around to make accreditation that important. In the mean time, licensing standards get reduced to allow practitioners to bill insurance and not have problems

Being licensed after internship and moving toward a post-doc standard would make post-doc gigs a financially viable idea.

Reactions: 3 users