Is it better to obtain a military ID before or during COT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to obtain a military ID before or during COT? I don't have any prior military experience. I was just commissioned this past November 2004, into the Air Force, and will be receiving the Armed Forces HPSP scholarship.
Any input on your experiences at COT would also be nice, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

medicine1 said:
Is it better to obtain a military ID before or during COT? I don't have any prior military experience. I was just commissioned this past November 2004, into the Air Force, and will be receiving the Armed Forces HPSP scholarship.
Any input on your experiences at COT would also be nice, thank you.

This one is easy. Yes, get your ID. It will save you big time hassles -- like at the gate to the base and what not. It may also result in some free time during training. Go to a reserve center on some weekday afternoon. It should take about 5 minutes.

Ed

edmadison said:
This one is easy. Yes, get your ID. It will save you big time hassles -- like at the gate to the base and what not. It may also result in some free time during training. Go to a reserve center on some weekday afternoon. It should take about 5 minutes.

Ed

I was told that I couldn't do that, that I HAD to get it taken at COT. Maybe this is a new thing... Has anyone who just got the scholarship gotten an ID?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alikia said:
I was told that I couldn't do that, that I HAD to get it taken at COT. Maybe this is a new thing... Has anyone who just got the scholarship gotten an ID?

You are allowed to get an ID. Just take your commissioning paperwork (ie your appointment order ARPC form 92 and oath of office AF form 133) with a driver's license to a local installation's military customer service office. You will be issued a reserve ID. The ones I've seen all have an indefinite expiration date, so they will last until you graduate and enter active duty.

cdreed said:
You are allowed to get an ID. Just take your commissioning paperwork (ie your appointment order ARPC form 92 and oath of office AF form 133) with a driver's license to a local installation's military customer service office. You will be issued a reserve ID. The ones I've seen all have an indefinite expiration date, so they will last until you graduate and enter active duty.

I Have also just been commissioned in the HPSP program and I'm trying to understand what I should be doing next, but I'm having a hard time understanding what these forms are!! I have not recieved any "forms" or at least documents that are labeled "form XXX" is form 133 that little oath card that looks like a stationary letter? What is form 92? How do I get one? I know there is a form 9 that I will not get until my school forwards the point of contact form on to the AF. Please help me understand

aegis said:
I Have also just been commissioned in the HPSP program and I'm trying to understand what I should be doing next, but I'm having a hard time understanding what these forms are!! I have not recieved any "forms" or at least documents that are labeled "form XXX" is form 133 that little oath card that looks like a stationary letter? What is form 92? How do I get one? I know there is a form 9 that I will not get until my school forwards the point of contact form on to the AF. Please help me understand

If they've given you your orders to COT, you can also get your ID card by presenting your orders.

aegis said:

You can see form numbers at the bottom of the form. Look at all your paperwork. Feel free to call the base and ask what paperwork you need. Usually there's a base operator and then you can contact whoever does ID cards. Tell the operator you want to talk to whoever does ID cards (in the AF it would be military personnel flight or MPF).

aegis said:

The day that you were commissioned, you and your commissioning officer should have signed the Oath of Office (AF form 133). Your appointment order will be mailed to you at a later date. I didn't get mine until Oct of MSI. But the Oath of Office will suffice for you to get an ID issued. Like Moose said, all you need to do is visit the MPF. You may want to call ahead and verify office hours and exact paperwork... it may vary among services, and I'm only familiar with the AF.

Hope this helps some.

I waited until COT to get my ID and I didn't have any problems at all. I would just wait and do it then. By the way, before I went to COT, we were told to make sure we got all of our immunizations up-to-date and to bring all immunization records. Well, don't waste your time. When I went, they decided that instead of having to check everyone's records, it would just be easier to give everyone all the shots! So even though all my immunizations were up to date and I had accurate records, I still got about 6-8 shots! Welcome to the military!

ABSOLUTELY get your ID in advance. Their computer goes down all the time at Maxwell. As stated previously, bring all your paperwork too.

Uniforms: Don't sweat it. There's plenty of time to get them while there; that way you don't buy the wrong things if you do it on your own.

COT is a breeze and is a lot of fun. Don't sweat it.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I will contact MPF as soon as possible.
I need to get a military ID for my wife too. Thank you :)