chan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
118
0
Status
HI everyone...

Is it better to have a low gpa high MCAT, or a high GPA low MCAT
 

AStudent

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
877
7
Status
No easy answer to this one because it all depends on your station in life and your E.C activities.

The easy answer: High grades/scores in both.
 

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,563
5
37
Visit site
Status
if it's an ultimatum, i'd say high MCAT. cuz u can always increase ur GPA with a masters. but u can't just raise ur MCAT with time.
 

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
5,046
7
36
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A high MCAT can rescue a sub-par GPA, but I doubt that the reverse situation is true.
 

JonnyG

IN the hospitals....
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2004
1,045
3
39
Bala Cynwyd, too cool for philly
Status
Resident [Any Field]
well considering the whole process is random either that or requires heaving bribing. I would say high MCAT because high grades low MCAT could be construed as you took easy classes, went to an easy school etc. A person with a high MCAT/ low gpa can say they challenged themselves more in college, never tookt he easy road etc.
 

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
1,017
0
Visit site
Status
This came up at several of my interviews. The answer is High MCAT, low GPA is better than low MCAT, high GPA.
 

medstyle

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2004
283
0
Status
it doesn't take much to get a 4.0 from many schools, but a 38 is a 38. Don't know of many 4.0 22-26's getting into medical school, plenty of 3.1's+ do with good mcat scores.
 

Friendly

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
312
18
37
California, USA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
virilep said:
if it's an ultimatum, i'd say high MCAT. cuz u can always increase ur GPA with a masters. but u can't just raise ur MCAT with time.
Not true at all. I'm living proof - I barely made the national average and I have offers from more than one allopathic school without being waitlisted (and there are no 'special considerations' in my application). I believe it depends on where you are in your life and what your EC's are, as another poster alluded to. Be encouraged.
sdnstud said:
This came up at several of my interviews. The answer is High MCAT, low GPA is better than low MCAT, high GPA.
Ditto to the above. The MCAT is a single test on a single day. Adcoms consider your school when they look at your GPA.
 

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,004
80
Status
Attending Physician
Friendly said:
Not true at all. I'm living proof - I barely made the national average and I have offers from more than one allopathic school without being waitlisted (and there are no 'special considerations' in my application). I believe it depends on where you are in your life and what your EC's are, as another poster alluded to. Be encouraged.

Ditto to the above.
Sample size n=1, hardly conclusive proof.
 

Friendly

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
312
18
37
California, USA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pinkertinkle said:
Sample size n=1, hardly conclusive proof.
I never said it was conclusive. Forgive me if that's how it looked. I responded to posts that use words like "always" and "the answer is...". M.D. admissions is not an exact science and there are always exceptions that people should be encouraged by. I think that's fair. Don't you?
 

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
711
2
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Grade inflation can account for a high GPA and low MCAT...along with stupidity. Lazy and brilliant can account for a high MCAT and low GPA...and that's ok. Do we all concur then?
 

blump

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
225
0
Status
patzan said:
Grade inflation can account for a high GPA and low MCAT...along with stupidity. Lazy and brilliant can account for a high MCAT and low GPA...and that's ok. Do we all concur then?
I think it all depends on how low of an MCAT score you are taking about. <20, <25?
 

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
156
14
47
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
I'd agree w/ those who claim it's dependant on other factors.

Isn't it likely that schools differ? Some place more importance on grades and others on MCAT scores.

From my personal experience, I've known MANY people get in w/ 4.0's and sub-26 MCAT's.

In fact, I've never known a 4.0 person to NOT get in. Conversely, I've known a lot of people w/ high MCAT scores that didn't get in-at least not until subsequent attempts.

I truly believe if you have a 4.0 from somewhere other than vo-tech and the rest of your file is solid (meaning you've exhibited desire/exploration of the field) you probably deserve to get in.

MCAT scores are indicative of what you're capable of doing. Grades show what you are willing to do.

(this opinion comes from someone who earned terrible grades...)
 

fateema368

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
203
0
Minnesota
Status
I think it may hurt your credibility in the long-run to apply with a 19 and lets say a 3.9+, honestly you just come off as a person with absolutly no common sense. But to earn that GPA you have to haul-ass for 4 years, no matter where you go, because the pre-rec's are always the final equalizers. Grade inflation or not if your able to ace all of those without breaking a sweat you've more than proved yourself.
 

Friendly

Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
312
18
37
California, USA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pinkertinkle said:
Sample size n=1, hardly conclusive proof.
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=989
n=2
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1393
n=3
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=438
n=4
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1208
n=5
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=2237
n=6
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=2512
n=7
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3036
n=8
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=632
n=9
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1876
n=10
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=746
n=11
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=2998
n=12
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=1601
n=13
….just a quick scan of some people, with no special application considerations, that were successful at allopathic schools (even more if you include osteopathic schools). This is posted on a site where people with high grades and MCATs traditionally post. I'm sure there are plenty more people out there like this. Yes, it is wise to be as competitive as possible, but it's also important to keep everything in perspective and to encourage people who are committed and deserve a shot at their dream like you and I.
 

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
8,510
6
Status
Medical Student
JonnyG said:
well considering the whole process is random either that or requires heaving bribing. I would say high MCAT because high grades low MCAT could be construed as you took easy classes, went to an easy school etc. A person with a high MCAT/ low gpa can say they challenged themselves more in college, never tookt he easy road etc.
but high MCAT and low GPA could imply you're smart but lazy :thumbdown:

so it's the whole package...and then it's a crapshoot sometimes anyway :(
 

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
30,981
9,891
Status
Attending Physician
fateema368 said:
I think it may hurt your credibility in the long-run to apply with a 19 and lets say a 3.9+, honestly you just come off as a person with absolutly no common sense. But to earn that GPA you have to haul-ass for 4 years, no matter where you go, because the pre-rec's are always the final equalizers. Grade inflation or not if your able to ace all of those without breaking a sweat you've more than proved yourself.
A high MCAT is more telling because it's the only thing in the application that is common among all applicants. As mentioned, some schools have significant grade inflation, or use scaling instead of a curve, or are just easier/less competitive (especially if courses are taken at JCs or community colleges). And not all courseloads are the same -- an engineer with a 3.8 probably worked a heck of a lot harder than a fine arts major with a 3.9. The MCAT thus essentially validates or invalidates the college grades, not the other way round. Thus if you want to pick one of those two stats as more important to be high, clearly its the MCAT.
But I agree that admissions isn't that one dimensional in terms of scores, and thus lots of people with high MCATs and little else don't get in, and lots of people with low MCATs and a lot else do.
 

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
13,874
36
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Law2Doc said:
A high MCAT is more telling because it's the only thing in the application that is common among all applicants. As mentioned, some schools have significant grade inflation, or use scaling instead of a curve, or are just easier/less competitive (especially if courses are taken at JCs or community colleges). And not all courseloads are the same -- an engineer with a 3.8 probably worked a heck of a lot harder than a fine arts major with a 3.9. The MCAT thus essentially validates or invalidates the college grades, not the other way round. Thus if you want to pick one of those two stats as more important to be high, clearly its the MCAT.
But I agree that admissions isn't that one dimensional in terms of scores, and thus lots of people with high MCATs and little else don't get in, and lots of people with low MCATs and a lot else do.

Well agreed
 

Crake

I drive a Dodge Stratus!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
256
0
37
RI
Status
Pre-Medical
Order of importance (most important to least important):

1.) Legacy Status/Race
2.) MCAT
3.) Letters of Recommendation
4.) Interview
5.) GPA
6.) Research/Publications/Fellowships
7.) Clinical Experience
8.) Other Extracurriculars
9.) Academic honors
. . .
100000011222.) Being Associate Vice-Chair of the International HIV Awareness Committee of your Premedical Club.
100000011223.) Being in your Premedical Club
 

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
926
1
Boston
Status
Law2Doc said:
A high MCAT is more telling because it's the only thing in the application that is common among all applicants. As mentioned, some schools have significant grade inflation, or use scaling instead of a curve, or are just easier/less competitive (especially if courses are taken at JCs or community colleges). And not all courseloads are the same -- an engineer with a 3.8 probably worked a heck of a lot harder than a fine arts major with a 3.9. The MCAT thus essentially validates or invalidates the college grades, not the other way round. Thus if you want to pick one of those two stats as more important to be high, clearly its the MCAT.
But I agree that admissions isn't that one dimensional in terms of scores, and thus lots of people with high MCATs and little else don't get in, and lots of people with low MCATs and a lot else do.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I agree too.
I'd take high MCAT low GPA any day.
 

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
9,817
4
TX
Status
Attending Physician
chan said:
HI everyone...

Is it better to have a low gpa high MCAT, or a high GPA low MCAT
Low GPA/High MCAT is my vote.

At least I hope so.
 

Dr Who

Future MD...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
876
4
Somewhere out there
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Crake said:
Order of importance (most important to least important):

1.) Legacy Status/Race
2.) MCAT
3.) Letters of Recommendation
4.) Interview
5.) GPA
6.) Research/Publications/Fellowships
7.) Clinical Experience
8.) Other Extracurriculars
9.) Academic honors
You are right in what is important, but not in the order.
I would put it this way:

1) MCAT and GPA
Both are just as important, you might have a 37 on the MCAT but a 2.50 GPA, or a 4.00 GPA and a 16 on the MCAT, either way you are f*cked. So its a tie.
2) Letters of Recommendation
Other than you stats this is what makes or breaks your app.
3) Interview
Here is where you have your chance to be more than the sum of numbers.
4) Legacy Status/Race'
I have to admit that being an URM does help you a bit getting into certain med schools.
5) Research/Publications/Fellowships, Clinical Experience, Academic honors, Other Extracurriculars.
This is all important but nowadays many addcoms are more interested in student diversity than pre- med/ scientist overachiever clones.

Dr Who
 

winterblows

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2005
10
0
37
Brookline, MA
Status
Pinkertinkle said:
Sample size n=1, hardly conclusive proof.

White male with first a 25 and then a 29 on the MCAT, 3.9 GPA from a state school and I had three acceptance before the new year from MD granting insitutions in the US.
 

housemd

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
114
0
Status
winterblows said:
White male with first a 25 and then a 29 on the MCAT, 3.9 GPA from a state school and I had three acceptance before the new year from MD granting insitutions in the US.
A 29 is a very solid score! Now if you got in with the 25, then that would be a different story (even though that is not terrible either)