Is it cliche to start your PS with a quote?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wu8313

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think the admissions committee thinks it's cliche when you start off your PS with a quote? Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think the admissions committee thinks it's cliche when you start off your PS with a quote? Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Unless you are one of those great writers, I think it's better to stick with your usual writing style.

IMO: If you use a very unusual quote then yes you can. Like "two is four" then go on and write something amazing of how it relates. but it must be amazing as previous poster said.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started mine off with "3...2...1...Go!". its refering to the announcer in one of my ski competitions...its not a famous quote or anything. id say if you have a good one and it pertains to what you are planning on writing about, go for it....as long as your writing style is consistant through out the whole thing.

I did, but it was a quote from me growing up; I would stay away from using other people's quotes.

Quotes are overdone. You should start with rap lyrics by Nelly or Ice T.

I started referring to how people call Ronald Reagan 'The Great Communicator." Not really a quote but whatever...

I don't know about nelly... I'd go with something a little older...

"either work hard or you might as well quit
That's the word,because you know
U can't touch this"

Seriously though, I'd avoid quotes unless it introduces a theme that will be consistent throughout your personal statement. If you do choose to got that route, though, be sure to pick an original quote. While being "the change you wish to see in the world" is great, how many other people probably started with that quote?

i used a quote, but it was midway through my ps and not the opening line.

let me lay down some knowledge. Using a quote is way over done and way cliche...

I used a quote, though not to start a PS. The most important thing though is continuity - if there's a theme and you're not just tossing prophetic words in tow. Just don't lead off with something corny.

It's one thing to use a quote that you heard directly that made an impact or a quote that's relevant to your story, but don't go on quoting Winston Churchill and trying to tie that to yourself. That's probably not going to come out too great.

I don't know about nelly... I'd go with something a little older...

"either work hard or you might as well quit
That's the word,because you know
U can't touch this"

Seriously though, I'd avoid quotes unless it introduces a theme that will be consistent throughout your personal statement. If you do choose to got that route, though, be sure to pick an original quote. While being "the change you wish to see in the world" is great, how many other people probably started with that quote?

Well, if anybody's a reapplicant, they could start off with "A great musician and philosopher once said, 'Too legit to quit...' "

My PS started out with a quote. It was my attempt at turning my boring writing style into something entertaining.

I started with...

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

Got me accepted!!