Medical Is it desirable to AdComs if a Letter of Intent conveys that I will "Commit To Enroll" if accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, after April 30th, my top choice MD school (on the WL) will be able to see that I was accepted at another school. I intend to send a letter of intent, but I was wondering if mentioning that I will "Commit To Enroll" if accepted would help in any way? For what it's worth, I know some of the SDN AdComs "treat these letters of intent as lies," but since an acceptance to this school would be a dream come true, I want to do whatever I can.
As you say, very little (no) weight is given to these letters. You can phrase the letter however you like if it makes you feel better that you "did everything you can do." It's unlikely to hurt.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't and you probably don't know how the waitlist is managed so it's useless to think your LOI has any impact. Imagine reading dozens of LOIs... what do you do if you thought there was any impact? Is it fair to those who didn't know LOIs could have such an impact?

I would ask about scholarships or other applications to work on if you get accepted but no guarantees you would get help.

Status
Not open for further replies.