Is it difficult to relocate after a residency in IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clank

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my 3rd year on the east coast and am looking into IM residency programs on the west coast. I have a strong personal need to relocate (family issues, etc...) there for a few years. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the difficulty in actually switching coasts BACK to the east post residency. Has anyone actually attempted that? Will I be essentially locked out? Thanks for any help anyone might have.

~Charles

Members don't see this ad.

clank said:
I'm finishing up my 3rd year on the east coast and am looking into IM residency programs on the west coast. I have a strong personal need to relocate (family issues, etc...) there for a few years. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the difficulty in actually switching coasts BACK to the east post residency. Has anyone actually attempted that? Will I be essentially locked out? Thanks for any help anyone might have.

~Charles

This is a good question .... I too have the same one ... except reversed ... I'll be doing my IM residency on the east coast but would like to relocate to the west after ... doable??
sorry Clank ... I have no answers, only questions so far ....

Depending on your specialty, you should have no problem findind a job on either coast. In my experience, I found a job in an extremely difficult location because I had a few things going for me: single female (read: no husband or kids to worry about) and a widowed mother in the desired location. It is apparently common knowledge among recruiters that women tend to stay in a job longer, especially if they are single. Also, people moving to be with family tend to stick it out. From the employers perspective they want the best qualified person that is most likely to stay. So, when applying for jobs play up your ties to the area and what is motivating you to go there and it should work out fine.