Is it easy to get hired after finishing school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

q1we3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what sort of oppurtuinites are there for new O.D who don't plan on starting their own practice?
Working with other O.D's in a established practice?
Working with opthamologists? in a hospital?
Did you start working right away?

Members don't see this ad.

This might be arrogant of me, but you will always have a job if you like working within a walmart.

I think there are tons of options...working at en existing OD office, OMD office, and yes even walmart..

Members don't see this ad :)
what sort of oppurtuinites are there for new O.D who don't plan on starting their own practice?

I'll share with you what I've learned asking others the same question a few things I've done already

-Network, network, network. A couple of my buddies had spots lined up in a private practice as an associate entering or part-way through their 4th year. Another was hired by his externship another through residency. Figure out the area you want to work in someday and call up or email doctors in the area and see if they know of somebody looking for an associate. I called up a doctor in the Pac NW and shadowed him for a day while I was on vacation...he said to give him a call in 5 or 6 years when I'm done with residency and he may have a need for me.

This board has been a great tool for me. I've dug through archives and found some ODs in places I want to work someday and even though they don't post much anymore they will still respond to a PM.

If you want to live where any other decent person would consider living it will be difficult to find a good opportunity. Commercial/retail positions may open up because of quick turnover in ODs.

Many of the younger ODs I personally know have had a very difficult time making ends meet without filling in 2-4 private and commercial practices during evenings and weekends. These are good ODs (several residency trained) working much harder than it should be to find a good job.

I wish this wasn't the case for you guys and gals. I really do.

As a 3rd year at Nova, I can only answer for the dozen or so friends I have that recently graduated...Here seems to be the synopsis:

** South Florida is massively saturated with everything: Dentists, MD's, OD's, you name it. I am very close to people in other programs and I am hearing the same thing I am hearing from my OD friends; stay out of SoFL.

** I feel like a lot of the people I know that have been telling me "When I get out I am going to ____" are having a harder time. This is not to say they are unemployed or anything, but they have had to get more involved and creative to string a full schedule together. My best two friends in the class are both doing well though, and I think a lot of that has to do with how open they were in finding a practice. One is going to Wisconsin, another to Texas, but both are heading to the best fit for them right now. The locations seemed almost secondary to them.

** In case no one has heard, the economy is in the dumpster, especially in the major urban areas. (I.E. Miami, ATL, Houston) all have unemployment in excess of 15%. Unemployed people squeeze every dollar, and that means even more for our CR39 + Medicaid frame dealing corporate friends. This ebbs and flows, and within a few years the pendulum will likely swing the other way a little more. 3 or 4 of the "I must go here" crowd I know of are working corporate. It's kind of the price you pay.

** Even with all of the doom and gloom, plus economy in the toilet, I know personally of 2 friends that are stepping into very good opportunities. In both cases they had done a lot of networking in the area before, and are not in major population centers. (One in Louisville KY, the other in Madison WS) It can be done, but it is harder to do now given the lack of retirees and poor economy.

Hope this helps :)

I recently graduated and I am currently living in an over-populated OD city and I can tell you that if you actually look and do the necessary work you will find work. So far I've been offered multiple full and part-time positions in private practice, multiple lease offers at many different corporate settings, IC work at many commercial practices, IC work at 2 private practices, 2 buy-out opportunities as well as one other job that doesn't fit into any of the categories mentioned. The OD degree itself doesn't entitle you to some awesome job, you and the way you present yourself will.

I recently graduated and I am currently living in an over-populated OD city and I can tell you that if you actually look and do the necessary work you will find work. So far I've been offered multiple full and part-time positions in private practice, multiple lease offers at many different corporate settings, IC work at many commercial practices, IC work at 2 private practices, 2 buy-out opportunities as well as one other job that doesn't fit into any of the categories mentioned. The OD degree itself doesn't entitle you to some awesome job, you and the way you present yourself will.

Thanks for your input and I totally agree. Don't always take the first offer that lands in front of you. Sometimes waiting pays off. Are you currently practicing in Miami?

Thanks for that tidbit...those are they types of comments that are useful to the majority on SDN. What were some of the more helpful approaches to finding and being offered those positions?

I suggest you figure out first where you want to practice - private firms/companies,local hospitals, private clinics, etc. Then try to check the people you've encountered during your internship because they already know how you perform and I think you'll have higher chance to be employed by them.

Nova OD -- Thank you for your comments. I am glad to see something on here other than doom and gloom, "you will work in Wal-Mart, sleeping in the toiletries section, and will be strung up and whipped/pecked in the face by a small bird on a daily basis for their entertainment." I will attempt to add to what you have said, however unsuccessfully. Again, I awhile away from my own job search, but here is what I hear from friends and previous docs I have worked for:

** This was a big one from the 1st doc I ever worked for, and a man I still speak to and greatly respect: Don't discount personality. He used to tell me "The best training I ever had to be an OD was working as a bartender for a few years through college". As many people have said, competency in clinical acumen is assumed. One thing that separates someone is, surprise, what it is like to sit and talk with you.

** GPA means nothing, references mean everything. I have yet to meet a graduate that got their job because of their GPA, yet it seems that everyone gets a leg up from well-respected docs that have good things to say about them. Even as someone in my stage of the profession, I know that in many cases the best clinicians, the best with pt's etc, are not always those with the best grades. These are two different skills, and nothing is a substitute for someone that thinks well on their feet.

** It's all the individual....I know that comes out as a dropout of the conversation, but it seems true. I hear people that moan all day about how they can't find a good job in South Florida (quite a few of them), but I also know of people that got and hold great jobs down here. How is that? My guess is that some people are much better at researching, have many more friends in high places, have built a good reputation in their rotation, and this all gives them a very different view on things. One person's gloom is another person's opportunity.

Just me parroting what I hear. I'm not quite there yet. Good exchange.

I think it is totally how you network etc.. I set up my practice after doing a little commercial and freelancing.

Thanks for your input and I totally agree. Don't always take the first offer that lands in front of you. Sometimes waiting pays off. Are you currently practicing in Miami?

I actually moved to Philadelphia/New Jersey. This is a heavily saturated area with a massive school located only miles away. While a student in Ft. Lauderdale, though, I was offered a few positions in Miami/Ft. Laudy as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for that tidbit...those are they types of comments that are useful to the majority on SDN. What were some of the more helpful approaches to finding and being offered those positions?

Unfortunately there really isn't some cookbook formula to this. It basically came down to this:
a. doing you homework--research each and every practice before you apply for the position so when you do get that off-timed phone interview you can add to the conversation and really engage in the meat and potatoes as to why the "employer" called you instead of wasting his/her time on directions, location, etc.
b. convincing the "employer" that he/she would be dumb not to hire you.
c. repetition--I would call every practice an hour or two after sending my CV. If I didn't get a response I would call back the next day. If I did get a response guess what I still called back the next day.
d. confidence/personality--this one is difficult because they're are a lot of intangibles and subjective interpretation. Also, when it comes to confidence you either have it or you don't. If you don't have it at least stay in a holiday inn express the night before an interview.

Last edited:
Nova OD -- Thank you for your comments. I am glad to see something on here other than doom and gloom, "you will work in Wal-Mart, sleeping in the toiletries section, and will be strung up and whipped/pecked in the face by a small bird on a daily basis for their entertainment." I will attempt to add to what you have said, however unsuccessfully. Again, I awhile away from my own job search, but here is what I hear from friends and previous docs I have worked for:

** This was a big one from the 1st doc I ever worked for, and a man I still speak to and greatly respect: Don't discount personality. He used to tell me "The best training I ever had to be an OD was working as a bartender for a few years through college". As many people have said, competency in clinical acumen is assumed. One thing that separates someone is, surprise, what it is like to sit and talk with you.

** GPA means nothing, references mean everything. I have yet to meet a graduate that got their job because of their GPA, yet it seems that everyone gets a leg up from well-respected docs that have good things to say about them. Even as someone in my stage of the profession, I know that in many cases the best clinicians, the best with pt's etc, are not always those with the best grades. These are two different skills, and nothing is a substitute for someone that thinks well on their feet.

** It's all the individual....I know that comes out as a dropout of the conversation, but it seems true. I hear people that moan all day about how they can't find a good job in South Florida (quite a few of them), but I also know of people that got and hold great jobs down here. How is that? My guess is that some people are much better at researching, have many more friends in high places, have built a good reputation in their rotation, and this all gives them a very different view on things. One person's gloom is another person's opportunity.

Just me parroting what I hear. I'm not quite there yet. Good exchange.

In my limited experience the 3 points you mentioned are spot on.

I currently have 2 associates, & the big factors for me in hiring were:
  • Face to face interview. I have all potential employees spend an entire day in our office. I want to see how they interact with my staff, patients, and especially me. I also have a 6 week, paid trial period where either party can back out, no questions asked.
  • School performance. A low GPA won't get their foot in the door with me. I'll call several of your clinical instructors and ask their opinion about your clinical skills. The opinion of the docs at your externship sites are what I'm most interested in. You don't need a 4.0, but bottom 3rd of your class tells me you're not motivated.
  • Community ties. I want someone who's going to be happy living here. I'm biased towards natives, especially if they're already married and have kids.

I completely agree with Taven and NovaOD, as I have been preaching those same ideas for a while now. The reason being is I have had many friends from different schools, including my own, and they have all said the same things. Sadly, the least of our worries is getting through school, after that we will enter a different playing field which school cannot really prepare you for.

I've also mentored a dozen new grads in helping them find their first position. Some of the biggest pitfalls:
  • Taking a commercial gig in a store that hasn't had an OD for a while (or at all). They want you to commit to working 40+ hours in a practice that might need 10-15 hours of coverage. You have to negotiate a limited schedule so you can moonlight or you'll be seeing a lot of zero patient (ZERO DOLLAR!) days.
  • Signing on with an America's Best that wants you doing an exam ever 10 minutes. Impossible for a new grad & unethical for any OD.
  • Taking a spot at a private practice that doesn't need more staffing, but wants another OD so he can semi-retire without giving up any income or control. Promises will be made and broken regarding income and potential ownership. Needs a comprehensive employee contract written by a professional.
  • Being a fill-in at 4 different locations and living in your car. You'll get burned out and discouraged. You'll also get lopped off if the economy goes south.
  • Being paid as an Independent Contractor when you're really an employee.
Unforturnately, an increasing oversupply is going to make all these things more common, which is why I'll continue to be a critic of the new (unnecessary) schools.

Bottom line, find yourself a mentor, or pay a consultant to be one for you.