Is it essential to take Orgo II before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after this semester, I'll be done with Orgo I. I'm trying to decide whether to take Orgo II next fall, or the fall of my senior year. Are there any downsides, adcomwise, to postponing OII until after applying to le med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need Orgo II for med school. But now I am somewhat confused. Your 're thinking of applying to medical school before taking Orgo II, meaning you have already taken the MCAT...dont you need Orgo II for the MCAT? :confused:

That might seem a little odd (do you have all the other pre-reqs done?), but I doubt it would raise any huge red flags as long as your MCAT score is decent. Most schools says that you can be in the process of completing requirements when you apply, but you have to have completed them before you matriculate. So I'd say as long as you're sure you're going to pass and do alright in Orgo II, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're doing it to avoid having Orgo II on your GPA, it could theoretically still raise a red flag even if you complete it after you've been accepted (many schools require at least a C in your remaining classes, otherwise they reserve the right to revoke your acceptance).

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you do in ochem 1? If you did well, it probably won't be a problem if you delay taking it. If you struggled with it, I'm sure schools will want to see if you improved during the second half.

Chris127 said:
I think you need Orgo II for med school. But now I am somewhat confused. Your 're thinking of applying to medical school before taking Orgo II, meaning you have already taken the MCAT...dont you need Orgo II for the MCAT? :confused:

Haven't taken the MCAT - I'm a sophomore. And I've heard mixed things on how much one needs OII for the MCAT. I'd be appreciated if y'all could offer some input on that too...

Dear Rafa,

You're weird.

Sincerely,
dbhvt

bbas said:
How did you do in ochem 1? If you did well, it probably won't be a problem if you delay taking it. If you stuggled with it, I'm sure schools will want to see if you improved during the second half.

It looks like it's going to be a B or a C, depending on the results of the next test and the final.

Rafa said:
It looks like it's going to be a B or a C, depending on the results of the next test and the final.

Then you can't put orgoII off.

dbhvt said:
Then you can't put orgoII off.
That's not necessarily true. I got 2 B's and 1 B+ (quarter system) in Orgo and I did just fine. But why would you be applying when you're only a sophomore? Are you planning on graduating in 3 years? If so, you have to be a *really* strong applicant to get accepted at med schools...they really frown upon going to med school early...

thinknofu3 said:
That's not necessarily true. I got 2 B's and 1 B+ (quarter system) in Orgo and I did just fine. But why would you be applying when you're only a sophomore? Are you planning on graduating in 3 years? If so, you have to be a *really* strong applicant to get accepted at med schools...they really frown upon going to med school early...

I'm not applying early. I'm applying next year, as a junior. But it's the time of year where we're all (at my school) supposed to start pre-registering for courses the following semester. :)

thinknofu3 said:
That's not necessarily true. I got 2 B's and 1 B+ (quarter system) in Orgo and I did just fine.

How does that have anything to do with what I said about whether Rafa should delay OrgoII?

Rafaman,
1) you will do better on the MCAT if you finish orgo II first.
2) If you delay orgoII without an A in orgoI it will look like you are doing it to protect your GPA. Because it just doesn't make educational sense to stick a blank year in between a two sequence course like that. If you delay orgoII with an A in orgoI, it will just look like you are wierd. I'm not trying to be a prick, I swear.

I second the argument that you'll do better with orgo II done before taking the MCAT. I did the the route the OP is speaking of, only due to deciding to go to medical school late in the game. I did fine on the orgo section -- but if I would have had Orgo II before taking the MCAT, I assure you my score would be atleast 1 pt higher. However studying for the MCAT and all the prior knowledge made Orgo II an absolute breeze. No studying whatsoever with an easy A.

There is no need to do this to yourself. Good luck.

dbhvt said:
How does that have anything to do with what I said about whether Rafa should delay OrgoII?

Rafaman,
1) you will do better on the MCAT if you finish orgo II first.
2) If you delay orgoII without an A in orgoI it will look like you are doing it to protect your GPA. Because it just doesn't make educational sense to stick a blank year in between a two sequence course like that. If you delay orgoII with an A in orgoI, it will just look like you are wierd. I'm not trying to be a prick, I swear.

Thanks - I think you're right; it would look strange to have that gap.

As far as the MCAT goes I think that a firm understanding of Orgo I and a decent prep book to learn Orgo II will be fine. However, I lucked out and got a MCAT that had very little orgo I and even less Orgo II. If your good with orgo I then you should be ok with the orgo II stuff if you just read over it. But why put it off? might as well get it all over with :p

I graduated in December with my degree in Bio without taking orgo II (I had Orgo I and BioChem) and applied and was waitlisted at both of the schools I applied to. I took Orgo I in Fall 2003. I am now taking Orgo II at another University (my final is today in fact) since it is a requirement but it is not needed to apply and some schools actually don't require Orgo II (they're the minority though). All in all the schools will look at the classes you have taken and make their judgements about you based on those and your other qualities they gather from your interview and your application.