Is it even worth it applying to ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been out of dental school for about 2 years now. I had a pretty low rank and GPA 3.15. I never thought I'd want to go into ortho until having worked with one in my practice and seeing what goes into it. Is it even worth it for me to apply, what are my chances? Which programs are ok with/prefer having work experience? Is there anything I can do to offset my academic stats? Do you guys think ADAT is worth taking or stick to GRE?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been out of dental school for about 2 years now. I had a pretty low rank and GPA 3.15. I never thought I'd want to go into ortho until having worked with one in my practice and seeing what goes into it. Is it even worth it for me to apply, what are my chances? Which programs are ok with/prefer having work experience? Is there anything I can do to offset my academic stats? Do you guys think ADAT is worth taking or stick to GRE?
Not an orthodontist or even an aspiring orthodontist here, but I don't think the ADAT is optional in your case and you'll have to kill it to help offset your rank. How does the rest of your application look in regards to research, leadership, and service?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not an orthodontist or even an aspiring orthodontist here, but I don't think the ADAT is optional in your case and you'll have to kill it to help offset your rank. How does the rest of your application look in regards to research, leadership, and service?

Big Hoss

I will say from personal experience that it is really tough to get in with stats like that. I am in the same boat, third time applying, still no interview this cycle.

Big Hoss
I haven't done any research or leadership in dental school, I only did community service. I am not sure where to start with my application, I do keep up with my volunteer work but since I'm out of dental school I am not sure how to approach the leadership or research!

I will say from personal experience that it is really tough to get in with stats like that. I am in the same boat, third time applying, still no interview this cycle.
Thanks so much for your reply, did you take the ADAT at all? Or just GRE? And how many programs did you apply to? Did you keep up with volunteering and research or leadership?

Thanks so much for your reply, did you take the ADAT at all? Or just GRE? And how many programs did you apply to? Did you keep up with volunteering and research or leadership?

Didn't take the ADAT. Honestly a lot of the programs don't even take it yet. I tried to build up my resume with a fellowship more so than anything else.

Didn't take the ADAT. Honestly a lot of the programs don't even take it yet. I tried to build up my resume with a fellowship more so than anything else.
I see, and I was wondering around how much is it to apply?

What's the thought of doing a gpr or aegd for someone with lower rank/grades to get into ortho?