Is it even worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedsoldja

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it even worth sending in my secondaries now? I mean I'm already a below average applicant (3.2 cum, sub-par mcat) and i just don't know what I should do. so many spots are already filled and they'll probably only take super qualified late applicants right?

Members don't see this ad.

It's gonna be tough.

Is it even worth sending in my secondaries now? I mean I'm already a below average applicant (3.2 cum, sub-30 mcat) and i just don't know what I should do. so many spots are already filled and they'll probably only take super qualified late applicants right?
fix the app and try for next year.

that's my honest advice, and I'm not trying to discourage you, but would rather be honest then have you play the waiting game in a situation that will probably end badly. There are always exceptions, but I think your intuition correct. Try and retake the MCAT if you can, and try and apply for a post-bacc unless you have an amazing upward trend with some sort of story that explains you average gpa. If you don't have an above average GPA for at least 2 years or something...look into doing more course work. One semester of a 4.0 isn't going to turn people's heads.

Good luck, and it's late, so yeah it helps to be super qualified. You are a qualified applicant for DO schools from just numbers alone, but not so qualified for MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, either way, if you filled out amcas you're going to be a reapplicant. so if you have the time, inclination, guts, and most of all, cash to do it, i say go for it.

Well, most of my secondaries that had earlier deadlines are already in. But I guess you could try for some of the later schools.

Haha admittedly I haven't turned in Downstate, or DMS, or a few others yet, but some of them have really really really late deadlines.

But...if you're looking at anything December 1st or 15th you probably want to have it in already.