Is it ever good to negotiate scholarship numbers after acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adventure-time

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question.

1. School A gave me a 5,000 scholarship
2. I accepted their seat
3. School B gave me a 7,500 scholarship
4. Can I call school A and ask them if they'll match?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
But couldn't I still turn down my seat to accept another school?
Yes.

Non-refundable deposit.

Entirely up to you.

Don't know how much they'd shift because if they have a specific pool of money to pull scholarships from, don't know if they can increase that because you got a better offer elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes.

Non-refundable deposit.

Entirely up to you.

Don't know how much they'd shift because if they have a specific pool of money to pull scholarships from, don't know if they can increase that because you got a better offer elsewhere.

Do you think its worth a try? Do you think they would be bothered with me gently asking if they can match?

Do you think its worth a try? Do you think they would be bothered with me gently asking if they can match?

Personal opinion- Don't.

They don't owe you anything.

If this was a job offer, yes go all out.

Get a second opinion from an older medical professional if you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Personal opinion- Don't.

They don't owe you anything.

If this was a job offer, yes go all out.

Get a second opinion from an older medical professional if you can.

I guess, what's the worst that could happen if I try?

I guess, what's the worst that could happen if I try?

You'll be branded as "that guy".

BTW, if the school offering the +$2,500 is in a more expensive area (Oakland, NYC, Chicago, Socal), than it's going to be negated by the fact that your rent is gonna be higher than compared to the lower scholarship school.

IDC if Samuel Merritt offers you $10k in free money, Oakland's costs will negate that REAL quick.

If the $5k school is your top choice and the lower scholarship is your only reservation then I'd say go for it. Any extra money you can get is worth a try, even $2.5k adds up over time. But don't try to negotiate a higher amount if you're not going to accept your seat at that school should they agree to a higher amount...that's just a sure-fire way to piss everyone off for wasting their time (not to mention your own).