Quantcast

Is it frowned upon to take classes at a local college after graduation to raise your GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundays24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
What will adcoms think of this? I have one C+ on my transcript, and it was for a pre-req. I would retake it at my undergrad if I could, but tuition is ridiculously expensive there. More than $8.5k for a 5-credit course (with lab).

I could instead retake the course at a small, local public college. It would be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper for me, but the school is also not as academically rigorous as my undergrad (only 4 credits with lab).

Right now, I'm assuming it probably won't look that good if I retook it at the easier college, but I'm still leaning towards retaking it. My C+ was in gen physics i and I managed to get an A in gen physics ii. Still, the C+ lingers in the back of my mind.

How much will retaking the course remediate for my C+, considering it would be retaken at a less academically rigorous school? Would it look at all bad that I retook it?

Toutie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What will adcoms think of this? I have one C+ on my transcript, and it was for a pre-req. I would retake it at my undergrad if I could, but tuition is ridiculously expensive there. More than $8.5k for a 5-credit course (with lab).

I could instead retake the course at a small, local public college. It would be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper for me, but the school is also not as academically rigorous as my undergrad (only 4 credits with lab).

Right now, I'm assuming it probably won't look that good if I retook it at the easier college, but I'm still leaning towards retaking it. My C+ was in gen physics i and I managed to get an A in gen physics ii. Still, the C+ lingers in the back of my mind.

How much will retaking the course remediate for my C+, considering it would be retaken at a less academically rigorous school? Would it look at all bad that I retook it?

No reason to re-take a C+. If you want to improve your GPA, just take some more BCPM courses at the college.

Reactions: 2 users

sundays24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your GPA? MCAT?

3.62 cGPA with a significant upward trend; haven't calculated my sGPA but probably ~3.5. I'm taking a gap year after graduating; haven't taken the MCAT yet

How would it look if I just took a full summer science course load at the local college to bring my sGPA up to a 3.6? Do adcoms see my new GPA on its own, or will they look at the courses I took at the different institutions separately?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.62 cGPA with a significant upward trend; haven't calculated my sGPA but probably ~3.5. I'm taking a gap year after graduating; haven't taken the MCAT yet

How would it look if I just took a full summer science course load at the local college to bring my sGPA up to a 3.6? Do adcoms see my new GPA on its own, or will they look at the courses I took at the different institutions separately?

give us your year by year GPAs. Adcoms will see your post degree grades as PB. From the little you told us, taking summer CC would be not be that important

upload_2017-3-20_21-27-6.jpeg

efle

not an elf
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

What state are you from? URM?

sundays24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
give us your year by year GPAs. Adcoms will see your post degree grades as PB. From the little you told us, taking summer CC would be not be that important

View attachment 216479
Is that what adcoms actually see? I've taken summer courses at the local college in my freshman/sophomore years and did well in them but didn't factor them into my GPA. Do they see that distinction?

Do adcoms look at your full transcript when deciding whether to interview you or not? Or do they only look at it after inviting you to interview?

Last edited:

Toutie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that what adcoms actually see? I've taken summer courses at the local college in my freshman/sophomore years and did well in them but didn't factor them into my GPA. Do they see that distinction?

Do adcoms look at your full transcript when deciding whether to interview you or not? Or do they only look at it after inviting you to interview?
Every single college level course you have ever taken will be included in your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

every college class you have ever taken will be calculated into GPA. they will see your AMCAS transcript which will include every course to decide to interview you

Reactions: 1 users

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C+ in one class freshman year. It was this honors biology class with this large final project , but I did better in upper level Bio work so I don't really think adcoms will care.

Turkishking

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C+ in one class freshman year. It was this honors biology class with this large final project , but I did better in upper level Bio work so I don't really think adcoms will care.
yes as long as your gpa is good

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
^ My point is his C+ shouldn't matter either.