Is it Good to have rec. letters from both husband and wife?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two professors who are actually married. I really like their personality and I would like to work for them to get to know them and maybe get rec letters. I currently volunteer for one of them, but she doesn't know that I also took her husband's class a year ago (and I would like to TA for him). I'm really not trying to kiss up to them or anything and I don't want to give the impression that I'm kissing up to them since they probably talk to each other about their students at home. Should I just tell her that I also know her husband or should it not be mentioned?

And also, are med schools alright with having 2 rec letters from professors who are married?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it shoudl be a problem, although they will wonder the overlap of names....I think it should be okay.

Does Mrs. Doc. have a different last name from her hubby? I mean, did she keep her maiden name or did she take her hubby's last name? If she didn't change it, then you're in luck! Try and find out.

This should not be a problem. Faculty are distinguished for what they did academically, not for being married to a certain person. If both letter writers have their own distinct career paths, then you'll have two very nice letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
no problem at all. just make sure they won't give you two identical letters!!!

I think there is nothing wrong with getting a letter from these two professors. Plus schools might not even know they were married. Some departments have profs with the same names but who aren't related.

I would let them know that you asked their spouse to write a letter also, I'm sure they will talk about it at home.

Just curious, but is this a gen chem class?

No, one's in Bio Dept. and the other is a non-science prog

that's weird, i have the same thing. letters from two married people, one in the bio department and one non-science. did you go to ASU?

Originally posted by jtn
Is it a Good idea to have rec. letters from both husband and wife?

Sure, I had both my husband and my wife write me letters. Go for it.