Is it Good to have rec. letters from both husband and wife?

jtn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2002
Visit site
Status
I have two professors who are actually married. I really like their personality and I would like to work for them to get to know them and maybe get rec letters. I currently volunteer for one of them, but she doesn't know that I also took her husband's class a year ago (and I would like to TA for him). I'm really not trying to kiss up to them or anything and I don't want to give the impression that I'm kissing up to them since they probably talk to each other about their students at home. Should I just tell her that I also know her husband or should it not be mentioned?

And also, are med schools alright with having 2 rec letters from professors who are married?? Thanks.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2001
Visit site
Status
I don't think it shoudl be a problem, although they will wonder the overlap of names....I think it should be okay.

Does Mrs. Doc. have a different last name from her hubby? I mean, did she keep her maiden name or did she take her hubby's last name? If she didn't change it, then you're in luck! Try and find out.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
Attending Physician
This should not be a problem. Faculty are distinguished for what they did academically, not for being married to a certain person. If both letter writers have their own distinct career paths, then you'll have two very nice letters.

About the Ads

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2000
Virginia
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think there is nothing wrong with getting a letter from these two professors. Plus schools might not even know they were married. Some departments have profs with the same names but who aren't related.

I would let them know that you asked their spouse to write a letter also, I'm sure they will talk about it at home.

Just curious, but is this a gen chem class?

OP
J

jtn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2002
Visit site
Status
No, one's in Bio Dept. and the other is a non-science prog

whyadoctor?

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2002
South OC
Visit site
Status
that's weird, i have the same thing. letters from two married people, one in the bio department and one non-science. did you go to ASU?

CaNEM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Status
Originally posted by jtn
Is it a Good idea to have rec. letters from both husband and wife?
Sure, I had both my husband and my wife write me letters. Go for it.

About the Ads