Is it hard for DOs to get Pediatric residencies??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year(as of July) student and would like to return to California to do a pediatric residency. There are no Osteopathic programs that I know of. Does anyone know of programs in California that are more or less "DO friendly"? Also here in NY all of the programs accept the comlex is that true in California for Peds programs or do they require the usmle?

Members don't see this ad.

Because COMP is so close of Loma Linda, apply there. Loma Linda has a world renown pediatrics hospital, and they have accepted many COMP DO's into their program.

One of my classmates from TUCOM matched at Stanford (one of the top programs in the country) for Pediatrics this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many CA hospitals that are DO friendly, I found a list of recent matches to CA Peds programs from TUCOM and COMP.

TUCOM matches:
White Memorial Center
Los Angeles, CA

Stanford University
Palo Alto CA

(Osteopathic Military Match) Naval Hospital
San Diego, CA

COMP Matches:
Loma Linda University Medical Center
Loma Linda, CA

UC San Francisco/Fresno Valley Children's Hospital
Fresno, CA

USC County Hospital
Los Angeles, CA

USC/Children's Hospital of Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA

Hope this answers your question.

-SK
TUCOM Class of 2005

we (DMU) have several students that have rotated at a hospital in Long Beach that is fairly DO friendly - I can get the name for you tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses. Knowing there are some opportunities gives me something to dream about when I should be studying for the comlex :)

Would that hospital in Long Beach that is DO friendly be Pacific Hospital? I know of at least one COMP professor who is head of a dept. there and other COMP-affiliated doctors who work in the area.

Any thoughts on this. Is it competitive overall??

:)

In general, I have heard it depends on which residency program you want to go to. Some pediatric residency programs are top notch and accept only top notch students. All people have to worry about is scoring well on their boards and doing well in the interviews. If you have great board scores and a great personality, it shouldn't be a problem to get a pediatric residency if you are a DO or MD.

Pediatric residencies are wide open for a DO, even a lot of the very competitive ones.

Being a DO definitely doesn't limit you in peds residencies. One of the 2002 grads at AZCOM matched at St. Joseph's, which I have been told is one of the best peds residencies. You may have to take the USMLE for some of the allo residencies, but many have dual accreditation or affiliated with hosp. that have a strong DO presence. I'm looking at peds so I've looked into it as well.

I interviewed here. I got a really good impression from the place, it was just not a good personal fit. The teaching and the residents were all very nice, and the place seemed very relaxed and collegial. In any case, check out this link http://www.sbhcs.com/education/mmced/peds/graduates.html
--they seem to have trained a fair share of DOs over the years.