Is it hard to get good residency without having extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoiHoi

Reaction score
Let's say gpa and ranks are really good. Will it be hard to get into good residency if you didn't participate in any clubs?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say gpa and ranks are really good. Will it be hard to get into good residency if you didn't participate in any clubs?
No. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

ECs don't matter. Focus on school. Do ECs if you want to suck up to others for the future. Even then it won't matter if you don't get that residency. You want to be an ACFAS speaker and are named club prez? And then you go to Wycoff Heights because your grades suck? Lol you are not going to be an ACFAS speaker.

Reactions: 1 users
Take a public speaking course so that you are able to communicate effectively while visiting residency programs. Forget all the extra nonsense your school offers and focus on studying and getting the best grades possible.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
No. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

ECs don't matter. Focus on school. Do ECs if you want to suck up to others for the future. Even then it won't matter if you don't get that residency. You want to be an ACFAS speaker and are named club prez? And then you go to Wycoff Heights because your grades suck? Lol you are not going to be an ACFAS speaker.
Thank you so much.

The people pushing these clubs will make preposterous claims that club membership or pins somehow produce a connection or closeness to future residency attendings. It does not.

We've had a similar thread about this recently. You should look for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely a no. The only benefit you get from having some is that you show programs that you aren't introverted and like to be involved.

Grades > all first, only add EC's on a comfort basis.

If it affects grades, stop those ECs.

Reactions: 2 users
Just do what you like to do outside of school. I never once got asked about my ECs during an interview, but I did get asked about my hobbies/interests and what I do for fun outside of podiatry in every single interview.

Reactions: 1 user
From the looks of it. GPA/Rank> Personality/ Work Ethic> Research & ECs.
I think being involved isn’t a bad thing as long as grades are not affected.

I received an award from one of the Podiatry organizations I am a part of (not school affiliated), do programs take that into account? My GPA and Rank are good, so I'm not overly concerned if they don't see an award as something noteworthy.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
From the looks of it. GPA/Rank> Personality/ Work Ethic> Research & ECs.
I think being involved isn’t a bad thing as long as grades are not affected.
I would even take it a step further and say that for getting a residency clerkship/interview, it is as above.

However, for matching, it might actually be Personality/Work Ethic > GPA/rank > Research/ECs.

There are a lot of good students who pass boards, know pimp questions, rank top quarter or third or whatever, etc. Not all of them are good teammates, show up early, are humble, etc. A lot of top DPM residency programs weed out the riff raff with gpa/rank, try to choose among their clerks and perhaps a few other ultra-strong paper applicants, and then they actually do mainly/all social interview (much like most MD programs - esp top ones).

Reactions: 3 users
I received an award from one of the Podiatry organizations I am a part of (not school affiliated), do programs take that into account? My GPA and Rank are good, so I'm not overly concerned if they don't see an award as something noteworthy.
I think you should make a pin out of it and wear it around on your white coat during clerkships.

Will definitely set you apart. They'll know to grab you gloves and stuff based on that pin.

• Haha
I think you should make a pin out of it and wear it around on your white coat during clerkships.

Will definitely set you apart. They'll know to grab you gloves and stuff based on that pin.
i wish it was a pin, I need the validation that I did a good job.:rolleyes: Thanks for answering!