Is it hopeless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zakurie84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal:

I am. 30 year old masters of public health student. I have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA. I have gotten a 4.0 throughout my masters and the few science classes I have taken. I got a 34 on the mcat. I have worked In a medical lab for 3 years. I have traveled to armenia to do research in diabetes and working on outreach programs for physicians. I have 40+ hours of shadowing and have a paper published (non-thesis). I worked as a CNA for about 6 months. I am hoping to get more patient exposure before I apply next year and some more research.
Do I have a shot at a medical school? If not, what should I work on? I am pretty focused in MD but I understand my only shot may be DO.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I was also on student government as the representative for the college of science and a board member for the student global health initiative.

Why would you think you have no shot? Your GPA is a little low but the rest of the application seems good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you think you have no shot? Your GPA is a little low but the rest of the application seems good.

yea you seem pretty okay, the 4.0 masters will help, youre def non trad, but your experience seems great.

have you applied already?

if not maybe wait til next year as its getting a bit late to get the primary started/in

but if youve already got the app in then you seem decent to me

Ok so here's the deal:

I am. 30 year old masters of public health student. I have a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA. I have gotten a 4.0 throughout my masters and the few science classes I have taken. I got a 34 on the mcat. I have worked In a medical lab for 3 years. I have traveled to armenia to do research in diabetes and working on outreach programs for physicians. I have 40+ hours of shadowing and have a paper published (non-thesis). I worked as a CNA for about 6 months. I am hoping to get more patient exposure before I apply next year and some more research.
Do I have a shot at a medical school? If not, what should I work on? I am pretty focused in MD but I understand my only shot may be DO.

Thanks guys!
No. It's not too late.

There was a DH in my class who was in her mid-30's still pursuing medical school. And I believe the fruits will yield for her and her family in the near future. As always, make sure all the prerequisites are completed, relevant LOR's are attained, clinical shadowing hours are earned, well-roundness, and etc.

D.O. is not what they make it appear to be either. I recall a friend talking about the potential fusion of M.D. and D.O. into one unified degree, but I'm not quite exactly sure what he was talking about.:confused:

Ok so here's the deal:

Thanks guys!

I hope it's not hopeless for you. I'm a 33 year old rad tech with 6 years of clinical experience, 3.35 cGPA and 34 MCAT. If I get in this year I'll let ya know lol

33yr old pastor/construction worker gpa in low 3's, sgpa in mid/high 3's and mcat low 30's. applied 8 md (no rejections yet, 7 of 8 secondaries so far) applied to about 15 DO (no rejection yet, secondaries from all but 1 due to prereqs in progress, 3 interviews already scheduled)

Some shadowing, no research, no clinical experience

Get a good mcat, you'll be fine

OP you will be fine. There are plenty of people in their early 30s entering medical school, and the fact that you got a 34 on the MCAT shows you are totally capable. Those years between now and your undergraduate GPA will help it seem a little less significant. If you were applying straight out of college things would be different.

Thanks guys, that's good to hear! I guess I am being a little critical on myself. It's good to hear from other people in my position. I am def. going to work on some more clinical/patient exposure. I am hoping to publish again, so I am waiting until next cycle to apply. I was thinking of maybe retaking the mcat and getting a higher score.....you guys are great! Thanks!

You need to work ont he self-esteem. You're fine for your state school (if any), the newest MD schools, and the low-tiers like Drexel, Rosy F, SLU, MCW, NYMC, etc.

Retaking the MCAT would only be an act of hubris. Forget about that and build up your ECs.

And you're fine for any DO program, including mine.

Thanks guys, that's good to hear! I guess I am being a little critical on myself. It's good to hear from other people in my position. I am def. going to work on some more clinical/patient exposure. I am hoping to publish again, so I am waiting until next cycle to apply. I was thinking of maybe retaking the mcat and getting a higher score.....you guys are great! Thanks!

Assuming you didn't get something like a 14-14-6, this is definitely definitely 100% a terrible idea. It can literally only hurt you. The only schools where a 34 is low are Harvard-tier, and you were completely out of the running there when you graduated with less than a 3.7.