Is it important to be an Honors Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistToBeiA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not part of the honors program or college of my University.

I have heard that it is better not to be an honors student because it doesn't drop your GPA?

What are the pros and cons of not being an honors student, in terms of being an applicant for dental schools?

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I don't think schools could care less if you are an honors student or not. I'm betting they would be more interested in your GPA and DAT score. If those are good, who cares if you weren't an honors student?

Reactions: 1 users
It's neither good nor bad. First, not every school has an honors program so if it gave a leg up, it would penalize those that did not have that option. Second, the biggest reason most people I know chose honor programs was because they got to live in nicer dorms. One school I looked at allowed you to opt out of some of the 100 level classes if you were in the honors program but since I would have needed those classes anyway, bio/chem, etc. there was no advantage there. I'm technically in the honors program at my school, but at my school, all that means is we had different sections for some of our freshman year gen eds. I wouldn't worry about it at all.