Is it important to include a colorful narrative in a PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nelmezzodelcammin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 1st draft of my PS was straight forward (and rather dry), but I felt that it conveyed why I decided to change my path in life to pursue a career in medicine and it addressed all the points I wanted to include.

However as I began to read examples of "good" personal statements, I saw that they all seem to include some sort of engaging narrative. In an attempt to follow these examples I rewrote my ps to include a few brief narratives of influential experiences. I suppose the new version is more engaging, but it is too long and I will need to cut out some points I wanted to include.

Is it expected that a ps is creative and colorful? Is it really necessary to draw our reader in with a nice little story or moving anecdote?

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I like reading stuff that is blunt, straight to the point. thats the approach i took for my PS. but you do want to engage your readers and make sure you do not have them skim over it. creative and colorful is not as powerful as insight revealing your character strengths. you can send me a PM and I will critique it for you.