Is it impressive to present at SACNAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently offered a scholarship to present my research project on Cancer Biology at SACNAS this year. I’ve heard from multiple advisors that presenting at conferences gives research projects a little more oomph when it comes to med school apps, but I’m not sure whether they were referring to presenting at conferences that are specific to the sub-field of the project you work on.

My question is: is presenting at SACNAS an impressive thing to list on med school apps? Should I be applying to present at cancer-biology specific conferences?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, it's always nice to have, but it's not going to make or break your application. Do it if you're interested in it, but realize that publications/posters/presentations rank pretty low on the totem pole of factors adcoms care about.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently offered a scholarship to present my research project on Cancer Biology at SACNAS this year. I’ve heard from multiple advisors that presenting at conferences gives research projects a little more oomph when it comes to med school apps, but I’m not sure whether they were referring to presenting at conferences that are specific to the sub-field of the project you work on.

My question is: is presenting at SACNAS an impressive thing to list on med school apps? Should I be applying to present at cancer-biology specific conferences?
It's a bon-mot. I wouldn't use the word "impressive". Presenting research is always nice, but do it only because you're interested in it. Do what you love and love what you do.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! Absolutely list the award you received (travel award / scholarship) and the fact that you presented at SACNAS on your application.

For medical school admissions purposes, it doesn't matter much where you present your research, but the experience is a valuable one. Plus, I recall at least one secondary asking if I'd ever participated in a research conference intended for URM (and SACNAS was one of the examples).

Reactions: 1 user