Is it inappropriate to hold RA position in 2 labs at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of all, my English may sound rather awkward because it is my second language. So, thank you in advance for your patience.:)

I am an international student at psychology master program in U.S. (My first semester will start in this fall 2013.) for my program is research-oriented, I am expected to work in my adviser's lab as his RA. This is a big chance to gain research experience as I want to pursue Ph.D. in psychology.

My main concern now is strong LoRs. Although I should get one from my adviser, I still lack the other two (most Ph.D. programs require at least 3 letters, right?). I've learnt that LoRs from professors we work with as their research assistant is better than those from professors we just take classes with. So, I'm thinking of asking one of the professors in pscyhology Ph.D. program if I can volunteer in his/her lab.

my question is: is it possible to volunteer at another lab in the same university (but may be at the different campus) at the same time?

Of course, I understand that it may depend on the program's policy. I know I should ask the program coordinator or the professor I want to work with. However, I'm afraid that it may be inappropriate to show your desire to work with another professor as you've already had your position in your adviser's lab. In short, I don't want to be disrespectful to my adviser. (I'm not sure it is the right word.)

This may be a silly concern. I've never studied in U.S. higher education before. So, I need to know what I should do and shouldn't do here (in terms of manner). The lack of respect to our professor is unacceptable for people in my country :scared:. This is why I'm so worried about being disrespectful (or inappropriate, still do not know which is the right word. lol)

Thank you so much in advance! I look forward to hearing from you.:D

P.S. I know that working in more than one lab may be normal for undergrad, but I do not know it is the same situation with mine. My professor admitted me to this program because of the research interest fit. I am really thrilled to work with him and don't want him to see me as insincere (again, not sure it is the right word) if I work with others too.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine. :thumbup:

Think I worked for 3 or 4 profs (may have hit 5 briefly...) at one point during my master's program. If you are accepted under a primary advisor, then you may want to check with them to verify that it's acceptable to work elsewhere. If not, maybe check with the chair of the dept to make sure it will not be considered a conflict of interest with your education, training, experience, or what have you. (Different programs have varying requirements.) Most programs/profs will usually support you in gaining additional experience though. :thumbup:

Hi everyone,

First of all, my English may sound rather awkward because it is my second language. So, thank you in advance for your patience.:)

I am an international student at psychology master program in U.S. (My first semester will start in this fall 2013.) for my program is research-oriented, I am expected to work in my adviser's lab as his RA. This is a big chance to gain research experience as I want to pursue Ph.D. in psychology.

My main concern now is strong LoRs. Although I should get one from my adviser, I still lack the other two (most Ph.D. programs require at least 3 letters, right?). I've learnt that LoRs from professors we work with as their research assistant is better than those from professors we just take classes with. So, I'm thinking of asking one of the professors in pscyhology Ph.D. program if I can volunteer in his/her lab.

my question is: is it possible to volunteer at another lab in the same university (but may be at the different campus) at the same time?

Of course, I understand that it may depend on the program's policy. I know I should ask the program coordinator or the professor I want to work with. However, I'm afraid that it may be inappropriate to show your desire to work with another professor as you've already had your position in your adviser's lab. In short, I don't want to be disrespectful to my adviser. (I'm not sure it is the right word.)

This may be a silly concern. I've never studied in U.S. higher education before. So, I need to know what I should do and shouldn't do here (in terms of manner). The lack of respect to our professor is unacceptable for people in my country :scared:. This is why I'm so worried about being disrespectful (or inappropriate, still do not know which is the right word. lol)

Thank you so much in advance! I look forward to hearing from you.:D

P.S. I know that working in more than one lab may be normal for undergrad, but I do not know it is the same situation with mine. My professor admitted me to this program because of the research interest fit. I am really thrilled to work with him and don't want him to see me as insincere (again, not sure it is the right word) if I work with others too.

Hi Wong,

Reading about your situation, I think there is at least a chance I may be your advisor (you share much in common with a student I have accepted). Regardless of that, I am happy to provide my opinion. For most advisors, this isn't a problem so long as you are fulfilling all of your obligations and are making good progress on your thesis. It isn't viewed as disrespectful, in fact, many of us including myself worked in multiple labs during grad school. However, the best advice I can give you is talk with your advisor. The way I view it at least, your advisor is supposed to be your mentor, and he/she will help guide you through these questions. He/she should be someone you aren't afraid to talk with, as they have your best interest in mind and part of our job is helping you manage your time and answering these questions.

I hope this helps some. Talk with your advisor, I think it will be well-received and he/she will have helpful information (especially if I do happen to be your advisor).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Wong,

Reading about your situation, I think there is at least a chance I may be your advisor (you share much in common with a student I have accepted). Regardless of that, I am happy to provide my opinion. For most advisors, this isn't a problem so long as you are fulfilling all of your obligations and are making good progress on your thesis. It isn't viewed as disrespectful, in fact, many of us including myself worked in multiple labs during grad school. However, the best advice I can give you is talk with your advisor. The way I view it at least, your advisor is supposed to be your mentor, and he/she will help guide you through these questions. He/she should be someone you aren't afraid to talk with, as they have your best interest in mind and part of our job is helping you manage your time and answering these questions.

I hope this helps some. Talk with your advisor, I think it will be well-received and he/she will have helpful information (especially if I do happen to be your advisor).

Excellent advice. Definitely meet your primary advisor's requirements and provide disclosure of your motives. There are usually some departmental politics that occur in many programs but I think they do not extend to affecting a student's research interests.

I would only volunteer in another prof's lab if you want to do that research, not just to get another letter of recommendation. Programs understand that some letters may be from professors who've had you in their class.

Thank you so much for all of your response! I very very appreciate it.

I'm so released to hear that this is not inappropriate. (at least not inappropriate to ask) Of course I will do what you all suggest: come to see my mentor and ask him for the opportunity to work at another lab.

Please do not mind if I have just one more question as follows.

Did all of you find RA position in 2+ labs in the first semester?

Again, thank you so much :D:D:D

(I quickly PM irish80122 as soon as I saw his post, but he is not my mentor. :laugh:)

I would only volunteer in another prof's lab if you want to do that research, not just to get another letter of recommendation. Programs understand that some letters may be from professors who've had you in their class.
Thank you for your suggestion too. I'd like to volunteer only with the labs that fit with my research interest. Not just to get another LoR, but also to broaden my research experience.

However, I will not work for more than 2 prof. at the same time since I don't want to split my time and energy to too many labs. I'm just an international student with moderate English skill, so just 2 labs at the same time is challenging enough :laugh: Therefore, it is highly possible that the last letter will come from one of professors who teach me in class.

Thank you.:)