Is it just me or are some Carribean medical students plain delusional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well interstellar travel is obviously more of an achievement than simply flying to the moon, so if you fail to get to the moon you sure as hell aren't gonna be anywhere near capable for interstellar travel which requires significantly more advanced technology

Doesn't require more technology than we have been using since the Apollo program. Just much, much, MUCH more time. Like 120,000 years more.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't require more technology than we have been using since the Apollo program. Just much, much, MUCH more time. Like 120,000 years more.

I hope this isn't serious. First of all we either need to perfect cryonics or create a spaceship with artificial gravity so women can maintain pregnancies

The original quote by Lee Brown, "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among stars!" is absolute garbage, but perfectly fitting for Carib graduates. Because what it fails to establish is that getting to the moon is an accomplishment- landing amongst the stars is far more likely and will end in an icy, eternal grave, much as the chance of a Carib student's financial future landing in such a dire situation. With careful planning, you might pull an Apollo 11 and be a hero. But you're not an astronaut if you're headed down south- hell, you're not even a U.S. physician. So while you might pull off that moon landing, there's a good chance you'll end up floating dead amongst the void.

#Savage.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree that there is a substantial amount of delusion among Caribbean med students, I don't see why an SGU student couldn't match into ortho or any other competitive speciality if they had a great board score. For example, wouldn't a residency director prefer a 265 from SGU vs. a 220 from Hopkins? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was no, but that would just strike me as grossly unfair. Before I get flamed, yeah, I do realize that a 265 out of SGU is extremely unlikely, but the example is representative of a broader principle. We're essentially allowing kids to rest on their laurels by perpetuating this school ranking obsession. If it were all up to me, I'd make the USMLE twice as hard and throw the rankings in the trash. Whatever happened to meritocracy?

Reactions: 1 user
While I agree that there is a substantial amount of delusion among Caribbean med students, I don't see why an SGU student couldn't match into ortho or any other competitive speciality if they had a great board score. For example, wouldn't a residency director prefer a 265 from SGU vs. a 220 from Hopkins? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was no, but that would just strike me as grossly unfair. Before I get flamed, yeah, I do realize that a 265 out of SGU is extremely unlikely, but the example is representative of a broader principle. We're essentially allowing kids to rest on their laurels by perpetuating this school ranking obsession. If it were all up to me, I'd make the USMLE twice as hard and throw the rankings in the trash. Whatever happened to meritocracy?

I dont think you understand the concept of merit

Reactions: 7 users

This has been covered ad nauseum in other forums but I'll say it again. Caribbean medical schools do not have an educational rigor or quality consistent with US schools, period.

The USMLE is only one part of how you match into a competitive residency, other things considered are your rotation evaluations, deans letters, research pubs, preclinical grades, leadership groups, etc. If you go to the Caribbean, you've shown PDs that you are not willing to overcome the adversity necessary to successfully be admitted to a US school and why should they take a risk on a student who is held to LOWER standards. That's how meritocracy works, it is supposed to be comprehensive, not based off of one score.

I'm not even going to get into how backwards admissions is in the US for ORM candidates.
/endrant

Because the intelligent students in the Caribbean are there because there was a glaring red flag which prevented them from going to a US medical school. Yeah he might be a genius and score a 265 on USMLE. But what about his DUI's? What about his academic dishonesty in undergrad? What about his felony or the arrests on his record?

Reactions: 1 users

No offense but THANK the heavens that you are a pre-med and it is not up to you lol
It is not hard for many IMG students to get above a 230 on their STEPs... they pretty much have months to review AND they only let certain students who pass a mock STEP take the actual one.
They did not go through the rigorous process of being screened out as students here do for DO and MD students. They pay their way through.

A high step score only gets your foot in the door. What really dictates your ability to function as a resident (at least in your intern year) is the quality of your clinical training during years M3 & M4. Caribbean schools do not have consistent or necessarily quality rotations for their students...it's very hit or miss and some have even been dismissed from residencies due to their inadequacies.

PD's want to bring in people they know will do them justice. Currently, they can't necessarily guarantee that with IMGS.

A high step score only gets your foot in the door. What really dictates your ability to function as a resident (at least in your intern year) is the quality of your clinical training during years M3 & M4. Caribbean schools do not have consistent or necessarily quality rotations for their students...it's very hit or miss and some have even been dismissed from residencies due to their inadequacies.

PD's want to bring in people they know will do them justice. Currently, they can't necessarily guarantee that with IMGS.

This, if the Carib student hit a 265 and somehow managed to do their clinical years somewhere like MGH or any respectable hospital, then they would receive far less bias. The reality is a lot of Carib rotation sites suck and PDs will be able to see this. That's also not even thinking about the reasons why they went to the Carib in the first place or the many other things previously mentioned.

This, if the Carib student hit a 265 and somehow managed to do their clinical years somewhere like MGH or any respectable hospital, then they would receive far less bias. The reality is a lot of Carib rotation sites suck and PDs will be able to see this. That's also not even thinking about the reasons why they went to the Carib in the first place or the many other things previously mentioned.

Unfortunately, even if training were done at reputable hospitals the result would be the same since they would be grouped with other IMGs. Just look at DO school, there are many who train at reputable hospitals, but their are many more that train in unknown hospitals, clinical, and even doctors offices (for core rotations). In the end, it would still be getting the same negative perception because the vast majority of IMGs don't train in reputable places, and they will be judged based on the majority as a result.

Read million dollar mistake.

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com

It shows the reality of a SGU student with a 260 USMLE step I applying to ortho.

Reactions: 4 users
Because the intelligent students in the Caribbean are there because there was a glaring red flag which prevented them from going to a US medical school. Yeah he might be a genius and score a 265 on USMLE. But what about his DUI's? What about his academic dishonesty in undergrad? What about his felony or the arrests on his record?

That's a pretty sweeping generalization.
What about the person who took 5 years off to work IT and start a family, then go back to school.
Caution with that broad brush.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What about the person who took 5 years off to work IT and start a family, then go back to school.

Still doesn't change the fact that someone said to themselves "Hey, I'm going to get my medical education at schools that set themselves up in the same offshore corruption holes that mob bosses and FIFA execs go to launder money! This seems like a wise decision!"

Reactions: 6 users

I agree that was a bad generalization statement on their part but DO programs and some MDs are kind to non-trads. He/she should have taken time to look into the DO process and apply broadly to all DO programs.

Reactions: 3 users

How does that disqualify someone from getting into a US med school, again? Are you saying there are no non-trads or something?

Oh, it's a terrible decision.... Don't misunderstand. I'm just saying it's a silly implication that the school pumps out a series of students with 265 steps and criminal records. I think those schools are predatory and money driven. And this is coming from a LECOM grad lol.... I know full well about schools with a money based motive

Talk about delusional. You don't think these things come up when applying to residency.

That shows poor decision making skills, pretty big red flag actually

Unfortunately, even if training were done at reputable hospitals the result would be the same since they would be grouped with other IMGs. Just look at DO school, there are many who train at reputable hospitals, but their are many more that train in unknown hospitals, clinical, and even doctors offices (for core rotations). In the end, it would still be getting the same negative perception because the vast majority of IMGs don't train in reputable places, and they will be judged based on the majority as a result.

Absolutely, I was just pointing out that if a PD was willing to take the time to look at where a carib student did their clinicals, the person that rotated at a legitimate/strong site with a strong all around app would have less bias from that PD. As you said, overall it won't likely make much difference, but ideally it should certainly remove one of the legitimate reasons the bias is there.

Lol yes. On par with a DUI. Or hx of drug abuse. Your opinion must carry a lot of weight On your admissions committee at your school.

Risking hundreds of thousands of dollars on like a 50% chance of doing family med in North Dakota? Ya I'll take a dui over that lol

It shows the reality of a SGU student with a 260 USMLE step I applying to ortho.

Well, this kid is delusional from the beginning thinking he is "missing" a $50K per year salary with a B.A. in biology, lol. $50K is maybe realistic is you are supplementing your B.A. in biology with a 29K meth manufacturing business on the side...

Reactions: 5 users
Well, this kid is delusional from the beginning thinking he is "missing" a $50K per year salary with a B.A. in biology, lol. $50K is maybe realistic is you are supplementing your B.A. in biology with a 29K meth manufacturing business on the side...

Best part is that he had a Touro CA deferred acceptance. Guy could have gone AOA ortho rather easily if he scored in the same percentile on the COMLEX as he did on the USMLE. Dumb as bricks.

Reactions: 6 users

SOLID evidence of why I ALWAYS state that CARIBBEAN is an OK OPTION...

IFFFFFF... and ONLYYY IF... you are a US citizen that is fine with FM, IM, Peds, Psych, or some surgery pre-lims in a location that is NOT your choice...

With his score and having gone to an American school... he would be in some OR cutting up bones right now doing his job as an Ortho. He's stuck as an hospitalist now... not that that is a bad thing but for him.. he got the pure crap end of the stick.

Guys... DO NOTTTT GO TO THE CARIBBEAN!

First of all, wow, that was a very captivating read. UCLA should revoke the wizard lady's english degree and give it to this dude.
Secondly, the days of large numbers of St. George Students earning 245+ USMLE scores are past. If you look at their statistics, traditionally, in the past, the SGU students that had the highest board scores were the American students. You can find the averages on their website. The proportion of American students attending St. George has been decreasing every year which is why the school is now aggressively advertising in Canada, Jamaica, India, South America, and the UK. This is also seen by the decrease in the average MCAT. A few years ago the average MCAT was a 26, it has now fallen to a 24. The increase in medical school seats in the United States (by the proliferation of DO schools and class size expansions in MD schools) is now allowing more US students to attend medical school. Yes, there will always be a few students that shine and can break the pack but the days of carribean grads earning top scores are becoming few and far in between.

First of all, wow, that was a very captivating read. UCLA should revoke the wizard lady's english degree and give it to this dude.
Secondly, the days of large numbers of St. George Students earning 245+ USMLE scores are past. If you look at their statistics, traditionally, in the past, the SGU students that had the highest board scores were the American students. You can find the averages on their website. The proportion of American students attending St. George has been decreasing every year which is why the school is now aggressively advertising in Canada, Jamaica, India, South America, and the UK. This is also seen by the decrease in the average MCAT. A few years ago the average MCAT was a 26, it has now fallen to a 24. The increase in medical school seats in the United States (by the proliferation of DO schools and class size expansions in MD schools) is now allowing more US students to attend medical school. Yes, there will always be a few students that shine and can break the pack but the days of carribean grads earning top scores are becoming few and far in between.

Yes, totally correct. What I was referring to was that even if that student were to score a 270 on his/her USMLE, they will be met with a good old non-LCME filter at the end of their journey. Its not scores alone, but also the perception of caribbean grads by PDs.

We started a new rotation this week and our school rotates with SGU students at the hospital. As part of the standard process the attending asked all of us what we wanted to go into. Everything seemed natural until one SGU student said they wanted to go into ortho and then another one afterwards said they were interested in urology. It was hard not to have a physical reaction to their answers but surely they must have seen the change on all of the faces of the kids from my med school. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the match rate for the surgical subspecialities extremely low for Carribean students and that statistically speaking it is very hard for those students to match into something like ortho or uro? I almost felt compelled to pull them aside afterwards and implore them to change their decisions lest they face a very disastrous road ahead. Surely someone from their school must've talked to them about the whole process? Now don't get me wrong. The majority of the Carribean students I've worked with have been pleasant and very realistic about their future. But this isn't the first time something like what I just described has occurred.

OP and all your supporters, im gonna rain on your parade. Consider all the US 3.9 High schoolers who barely graduate college and never make it to med school, or those with a 519 MCAT who are average med students, or those med students with 263 step scores, mostly honors with a few high pass marks, and exellent LORs eho clinically suck as docs, or the US MD grad with 213 step 1 and bately graduated med school eith remedial work...point being is it tougher for Caribbean grads? Sure, but not impossible. Especially where here in the US we have tons of aspiring UPROAD docs who will never be. So i say good luck to those Caribbean students!!

OP and all your supporters, im gonna rain on your parade. Consider all the US 3.9 High schoolers who barely graduate college and never make it to med school, or those with a 519 MCAT who are average med students, or those med students with 263 step scores, mostly honors with a few high pass marks, and exellent LORs eho clinically suck as docs, or the US MD grad with 213 step 1 and bately graduated med school eith remedial work...point being is it tougher for Caribbean grads? Sure, but not impossible. Especially where here in the US we have tons of aspiring UPROAD docs who will never be. So i say good luck to those Caribbean students!!

You're not raining on anyone's parade, you're just rambling with no point. I think you may have been trying to incorrectly suggest that the outliers in medicine are the rule rather than the exception, but I can't really tell because your post was so terrible and poorly conceived.

Reactions: 9 users

?? Is your point that there are plenty of people who would make okay docs but simply weren't competitive enough for admission to a US med school? That's true about every competitive thing...ever. Bottlenecks exist for a reason. That's like saying we should feel for people who would have made great Harvard grads but simply didn't make the cut in admissions. They didn't get in. end of story.

I'm tired of hearing the, "I didn't get in even though I should have!"

This post is just plain unintelligible. How old are you? Go back to that rock you crawled out from under and quit giving kids the impression it is okay to go to the Caribbean, it's not. There's a reason we refer to these crooks as predators.

I hope this isn't serious. First of all we either need to perfect cryonics or create a spaceship with artificial gravity so women can maintain pregnancies

I didn't say that we would be sending people.

First of all this rambling made zero sense

Second of all very few people with 260s and all honors will be terrible clinicians. People just say that rationalize their own mediocre performances

I know a guy who went to St. Mary's and actually got his MD from there, and they don't even have current classes at the moment. Check their website. It's there, but it tells people that it no longer has a cohort class. BUT, this guy did really well and did really well on his boards and got into a really good residency program in ortho at Emory, which is where I used to work as a pharmacy tech at one time (years ago, but it was a really tough program then, and it's only gotten tougher from what I've heard). Anyway, he must have really impressed his attending, or who knows who else, because now, he works as a physiatrist (or PM&R if you prefer) as well as getting on with one of Atlanta's top pain clinics. So, yeah ... if you know anything about these fields, you know he's raking in mad, crazy, psycho money. The kind of money that's usually reserved for surgeons like cardio and thorasics. But the point is, he GRADUATED from a "medical school" that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't even exist anymore. I'm not going to give his name because he's a friend of mine, (as well as one of my doctors), and seeing as how I'm currently still doing my premed prereqs in my career change do over, it never pays to speak badly of other physicians, be they MD or DO, PhD or MD/PhD, or even CRNA's, PA's, NP's, or even RN's. Bottom line, if you can get your foot in the door, which medically speaking, if you want to be a medical doctor, means getting a good residency, and then study and KNOW YOUR S**T, you can go very far. If someone had told the 18 year old me that I'd end up being a computer engineer from Georgia Tech, I'd have thought they were crazy, because all I wanted at the time was to be a doctor. But due to this little thing called LIFE, I ended up having to wait until my kid was raised and on her own, my divorce had been over and done for decades, and HER 'new' husband is now dead from colon cancer, I was back in school thinking I'd go to nursing school, get an ADN, start working as an RN, then do the totally online RN-BSN bridge while I worked, and then work my way up by taking my medical prereqs part-time while working as a full-time BSN RN, and maybe considering being a CRNA, and THEN getting diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia halfway through my A&P I (for the 2nd time with an A the previous time, but had to retake due to 7 year rule) and Microbiology course before starting nursing school, and having to drop out COMPLETELY because I was in the hospital until they got my diagnosis right and got my WBC down from 280,000 and into norm range, and then 2 years later, which is now, me getting my feet back under me after the whole cancer scare, and finally deciding HEY, you're not getting younger, BUT you might live longer than you think, so why not just go ahead and GO FOR WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO DO, which is BE A DOCTOR, if someone would've told me I'd be doing this at the age of 48 (well, 49 in June, just to nitpick), when I was a computer engineer and I was unhappily married with a kid in my late 20's, I'd have thought THEY were crazy! So, I guess if you managed to decipher all of that, you get my point, and if not, then tl;dr you never know WTH is going to happen in your life or TO YOU in your life, so don't look at others and judge them too harshly, and don't look at others and think too harshly of YOURSELF, because we live in a time and place where people have walked on our moon, built machines that are building machines that can think, and rejuvenated telomeres on the CEO of a company that uses the enzyme telomerase to reverse the aging process at the cellular level by rejuvenating telomeres, THEN YOU CAN PROBABLY FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET INTO A MEDICAL SCHOOL SOMEWHERE AND BECOME A DOCTOR. Dontcha think? ;)

According to his CV, shelton was never in ortho. His residency was 1 transitional year, and 3 years in PMR.

According to his CV, shelton was never in ortho. His residency was 1 transitional year, and 3 years in PMR.
You are correct. My apologies. I asked him about it, and I had misunderstood something he had said to me when we were talking about his training. My point, however, was that the medical school a presumptive physician attends is not necessarily that important and that it's the hands on training that other physicians pay more attention to once a person has passed the boards and made it to that point.

the reality is, from a patient's point of view. MD still trumps DO ( no offense to our DO colleagues)
so a Carribean MD won't have to spend 2-4 minutes of his time explaining to the patient how a DO is equivalent to an MD as long as both of them did the same residency.

my colleague is a DO and a good friend..
he tells me why he prefers using Dr. John Smith vs John Smith, D.O. on his lab coat.
one of his "favorite stories" post IM residency, while practicing as a hospitalist is that, the patient asked him... " so when will we see the doctor?"

the reality is, from a patient's point of view. MD still trumps DO ( no offense to our DO colleagues)
so a Carribean MD won't have to spend 2-4 minutes of his time explaining to the patient how a DO is equivalent to an MD as long as both of them did the same residency.

he tells me why he prefers using Dr. John Smith vs John Smith, D.O. on his lab coat.
one of his "favorite stories" post IM residency, while practicing as a hospitalist is that, the patient asked him... " so when will we see the doctor?"
It's a sad reality, but I have seen it only once when I worked as a RN... It was an elderly patient though!

Last edited:

unfortunate but it is one of the easier ways a lay person can quickly separate between training regardless of whether that is the reality.

any updates to the story OP? Where is our aspiring Caribbean rockstar med student at now?

CtIKMYf.jpg

If you feel like stabbing yourself;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/20-beautiful-women/why-us-healthcare-system-_b_9632948.html
This is such trash. US>Carib>All other

US MD > Foreign trained physicians > DOs > Caribbean (us citizens > non) > others
By "foreign trained physicians" I assume you mean well-published faculty-level foreign docs who only have to repeat residency because of US licensing/credentialing requirements?

US MD > Foreign trained physicians > DOs > Caribbean (us citizens > non) > others

Foreign trained physicians are not better than DOs when it comes to match rate. If you are talking about their CVs and credibility, they are actually better than US MD graduates.

I was under the impression foreign trained docs had worse match rates than DO trained? Did you mean as far as matching goes?

Edit: apparently my page had not yet loaded the above replies...sorry to bombard you

By "foreign trained physicians" I assume you mean well-published faculty-level foreign docs who only have to repeat residency because of US licensing/credentialing requirements?

Yes, people who were attendings at home and did research here for years, etc.

Foreign trained physicians are not better than DOs when it comes to match rate. If you are talking about their CVs and credibility, they are actually better than US MD graduates.

As a us grad I can tell you that I am incredibly credible with an awesome cv

I was under the impression foreign trained docs had worse match rates than DO trained? Did you mean as far as matching goes?

Edit: apparently my page had not yet loaded the above replies...sorry to bombard you

Yes

Thanks, you are right