Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is it just me or does the US Postal service SUCK?!?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by noowen321, Sep 20, 2001.

1. noowen321

noowen321 Junior Member

Did anyone mail out letters of recs or secondaries last week after Tuesday? I sent 4 secondaries and had 5 sets of recommendations sent out on Wednesday by regular first class mail and they all got to the right places. But my secondary to Loyola in Chicago was due on Saturday so I figured that with the grounded airplanes that I would send my app by "express" overnight just be safe and allow for a 3 day delay like the post office lady said there might be.
    It's been 8 days!!!! Up until today the morons in customer service kept saying "sorry but all mail was delayed so keep ckecking back with us blah blah BLAH!" No help or info whatsoever! I eventually asked them yesterday, "You dont think it's been lost do you?"
    The lady replied with a stupid little laugh as if the US F*@#in' post office never loses anything and said,"no sir...its on its way."
    Today I check again and the lame idiot i got on the phone said..."no, it appears as though your letter is still on its way."
    So I ask again, "Do you think it's been lost?" The reply: Hmm...gee sir, its been 8 days for express overnight mail. That's kind of outside the expected range of time for delivery. I think it's lost."
    So I take time outta my day to walk to the post office to file a claim and the dumb biatch cant help me cuz she cant get whoever the hell she needs on the phone. Then she says that she doesnt even know if I'd qualify for a refund and tells me to come back tomorrow...she then insinuated that I, along with everyone else who sent express mail after Tuesday's tragedy, was trying to scam them by sending my mail using express mail the day after the terrorist attacks so that I could get a refund later because I knew it would be delayed. I was about to rip the nose-ring off that stupid ho so I just left before I did something that I'd regret.
    I called customer service again to see if i would be reimbursed for the stop payment that I would have to place on the ckeck for the application fee....and the lady couldn't even answer this question.

These people working in the post office dont know how to think! They only answer with responses that are read off the computer screen. And every answer is the same day after day. Not one piece of useful info can be gotten from them...sound familiar?

I think maybe AMCAS and post office employees are one and the same! Does this sound too crazy?! Maybe I'm just pissed that now I'm gonna have take MY time to explain to those dumbf**ks that they owe me for postage and the stop payment on the check; and then I'm gonna have to call up Loyola and tell them why they dont have my secondary, and that if the mailman finally pulls my application outta his ass and delivers it before the new secondary and fee that I will send gets there, then they shouldn't cash that check or else it will be returned and they will be charged a fee.

I know I've been rambling on but I just needed tell as many people as I could how annoyed I am. Bottomline: I need to takeover the management of AMCAS and the US postal service and make it efficient. Forget medschool...I'm gonna reform the crappy services in our society!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Could it be that your college has it but just hasn't gotten to it yet? My recs were sent from USC to USC and it took them a week and a half to 'receive' them. The schools are getting hundreds of applications, maybe they just haven't gotten to your part of the pile yet.

Andrew

4. Barin

Barin Member

I didn't read your entire post, but do you have an idea what happened last Tuesday? What all airplanes have been doing all that week? Do you think after airports reopened they shipped your mail instead of stranded people??

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    How old are you anyway?

I personal think there is no reason whatsoever for language like what you used here during your topic. We have all been inconvienced over last week's horrible tragedy. But I would dare say none of us are complaining about it. Just watch TV for awhile so you can see what real suffering is all about. Your schools will unfortuntely get your mail eventually.

For gosh sakes curb your filthy mouth and name calling.

I'm sure I am opening myself up for attack here, but I feel as a pre-med student there is no reason to call a person a bitch or a ho. Grow up. :oops:

6. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

You're a fool with no concept of who's to blame for what, and where to direct your frustrations. Unfortunately there's no killfiles here or I would have PLONKED you last year. -- Trek

7. Do I hear a baby crying? I sent out five secondaries last week, and the same amount of rec letters out (actually my school did), but they haven't arrived yet. Suck it up. Besides if you sent it express you got your money back, besides how hard is it to send the photocopy that you should of taken.

Get back in your mother's womb so we don't have to hear you whine.

8. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    You just demonstrated what every psychology student learns. You're attributing your frustrations, anger and anxiety to personal attributes (internal locus). Keep an open mind. And it's hard b/c you're worried about your applications, but honestly Who the hell cares? It doesn't matter. DO you not realize the effect Tuesday's proceedings had on the world, including flights, which thus includes postal services? Are you living in your own bubble that you didn't even think of other reasons besides attacking everyone else? God, it's just mail. You only mailed it a week ago as well. If you're that worried about it, send it again.

9. sundevil1

sundevil1 Senior Member

to the op:
    you said it yourself, the planes were grounded so how could you expect your stuff to get there overnight or even within three days if it was going by truck? Why would you try to send overnight if it will be impossible and will just travel the same way as all other mail. We all express frustrations on this board sometimes but there are appropriate ways to do so. If this is your biggest problem right now I would hate to see how you handle real stressful situations like your clinical years.

10. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

The nice folks at the USPS lost a letter for me a couple of weeks before the attack, the old-fashioned way. I emailed one of my recommenders at Mt. Sinai today and he never got anything. So, I trusted the USPS again today, and sent everything again.

I think I've spent like $2 on two simple letters of reccommendation. :)

I think we might as well accept lost letters as a risk in this process, and keep up with our mailings to make sure we don't overlook anything that may be misplaced.

11. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member

I can't even believe what I'm reading in this post.

You are ALIVE. You have enough breath in your lungs and life coursing through your veins to even be ABLE to encounter frustrations at the post office. We all know that many, MANY are not so lucky right now!!!!!!!

Out of curiosity, do you plan to treat patients with the same lack of respect that you demonstrate in your post? I always believed that a core element of medicine was compassion and concern for humanity. You certainly haven't demonstrated this for those whom you've encountered, not even to MENTION those who lost their lives and families last week.

12. Smokey223

Smokey223 Member

to the original poster of this message! both my parents work for the post office, and so did I for awhile. Only we postal workers can truly understand why things get delayed or even lost. Do you realize the volume of mail that goes through a single mail facility??? When I worked there, I alone processed more than 200,000 pieces of mail in ONE SHIFT. Just me! And with the national tragedy and all, do you really expect the mail to get there the very next day? I think you need to stop and realize that the world isn't revolving around medical school secondaries. Did you ever stop to think that maybe the school does have them? Sorry to sound so rude but your original post is uncalled for. The language you used was inappropriate and you have no respect for the people at the post office! Maybe you should use FedEX!

13. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

fedex was delayed just like everything else, for the same reason--no planes!

but that's not the point: OP, do you have any concept of the magnitude of what happened last week? there are thousands of innocent people dead and what upsets you the most is your own delayed secondary?! i wholeheartedly *guarantee* you that loyola will understand the situation. i've done a heck of a lot of soul-searching in the past week and i simply haven't had the motivation to finish off my last secondary--med school applications seem so trivial right now in light of what has occurred. for crying out loud, be thankful that you are in a position to even *continue* moving on with your life. your problems don't even qualify as problems in the grand scheme of our world right now.

i try to stay out of any personal attacks on this board, but i had to make an exception for this. it's one thing to have a gripe with the post office, but the blatant selfcenteredness of the OP's post is simply appalling. yes, OP, maybe it *would* be a good idea for you to 'forget medschool' for the time being, and don't do it to launch your own crusade against the US postal service--do it to gain some perspective and compassion for the world that you are committing your career to serve.

14. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member

Attending Physician
  15. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Wow, I hope you people never encounter a patient in an irrational state of mind!

Andrew

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. nochaser

nochaser Senior Member

:eek: What language! What lack of consideration for others! Quel horreurs...hope for your sake no one from the Loyola adcoms read SDN posts! :eek: