Is it just me, or is AMCAS verification taking too damn long?

Nafis64

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I submitted my app like about 3 weeks ago, so maybe I have not been waiting too long.... but how long does it take to verify a freakin transcript. do they have like only one person working at AMCAS or what? I just feel this whole verification process seems ridiculous to me.

adele87

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
Status
Agreed! They do clearly warn that there is a time delay of up to 4-6 weeks, but really? really? The process is so costly yet so inefficient; I can't help but be annoyed.

Apr 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I submitted my app like about 3 weeks ago, so maybe I have not been waiting too long.... but how long does it take to verify a freakin transcript. do they have like only one person working at AMCAS or what? I just feel this whole verification process seems ridiculous to me.
When did you submit? The verification thread has July 1,2,3 people getting over the last couple days.

I feel your pain, I am still in line as well

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
do you know how many people are submitting all their amcas stuff at the exact same time as you. Then they have to go through and fix all the ones where people failed to read instructions, etc. They probably should have more people working on it but then again its not like you weren't warned to submit ASAP

adele87

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
Status
do you know how many people are submitting all their amcas stuff at the exact same time as you.
The point is that it's ridiculous to spend ~$800 to wait over three weeks for something I imagine can be accomplished in under a half hour. The "I told you so" remarks don't change this fact.

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you submitted earlier it was only taking a few days, obviously they are backed up now

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
They should be probably at their peak session right about now. No wonder it's taking so long. Like others said, you should have submitted ASAP.

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The point is that it's ridiculous to spend ~$800 to wait over three weeks for something I imagine can be accomplished in under a half hour. The "I told you so" remarks don't change this fact.
:thumbdown:

Again you are not the only person with an app being reviewed right now. And you are not the only one paying money. They probably only have so many people they can use to check transcripts. And while it may be a quick process if you do it right, it can also be a very slow one for all those people in line ahead of you who screwed up and now that checker has to spend an hour going WTF? and trying to make sense of it. especially when there are like 8 different ways for schools to break down their classes (semester, quarters, weird credit hour equivs, etc)

housefish26

5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I can just imagine one poor bastard sitting in the basement of the AMCAS headquarters with a mountain of applications on one side and a mountain of transcripts on the other...

But seriously, it has been getting longer and longer each year, probably due to the increased number of total applicants. In 2007, it only took 2 weeks to be verified from July 6th. Now it's closer to 3 and a half.

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yeah like everyone has said, while it may take half an hour to do, when they get thousands of applications each day and EACH of them take half an hour to do (assuming no mistakes), then yeah, you're gonna be in line for a while. It might be nice if they could hire some more people to do this, but shockingly it might be nice for them to make some money. Furthermore, it wouldn't matter if they verified your application any faster because you'd still be stuck at the bottom of the pile on some reviewer's desk at each of your schools behind all of the people who applied before you; if they verified you faster, they'd just get you to the bottom of that stack a little faster but the number of people ahead of you would be the same. So there's really no reason for them to waste money hiring more people to verify transcripts when it wouldn't actually help you anyways.

amakhosidlo

Accepted
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The worst is when schools receive your secondary before your primary is verified. Oh, and using individual "verifiers" to look over each application? How does that make using an electronic app. Service more efficient?

You'd think they could cook up some kind of program that checks off apps without errors automatically, and forward the problematic ones to an actual person...

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The worst is when schools receive your secondary before your primary is verified. Oh, and using individual "verifiers" to look over each application? How does that make using an electronic app. Service more efficient?

You'd think they could cook up some kind of program that checks off apps without errors automatically, and forward the problematic ones to an actual person...
You'd have to make every school in the country turn in digital transcripts that cannot be tamperred with and they'd probably have some ridiculous protocol to do so which would make any university with more than 30 premed kids say "f*** that"

Jul 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, it takes a while but it's not too unreasonable given the number of applicants. I submitted 7/2 and I'm hoping it'll get done today. Just saw that someone from 7/3 was verified today! Chronological order people!!! :slap:
I wish I'd just submitted in early June as planned, but I was waiting on an MCAT score. No biggie for me as I've been in class and will need August to complete secondaries anyway.

GoSpursGo

Allons-y!
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yeah, file that pipe dream away in the "would be nice, but logistically impossible" file.

Any time there are like 60,000 people all applying for the same thing, it's going to get messy. There's no way around it other than applying as early as possible.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
What are some of you going to do when you don't get interview invites until November, December, or even for some: April? Chill.

adele87

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
Status
Yeah like everyone has said, while it may take half an hour to do, when they get thousands of applications each day and EACH of them take half an hour to do (assuming no mistakes), then yeah, you're gonna be in line for a while. It might be nice if they could hire some more people to do this, but shockingly it might be nice for them to make some money.
I certainly appreciate the collective labor required to verify the high volume of apps submitted (are their methods very efficient? the process is so opaque that nobody knows). Obviously many people are in the same situation and I would never suggest that my application should be of higher priority than the ones before mine in queue. Everyone who has submitted an AMCAS application has a huge personal and financial stake in the outcome. It's great that people who submit early are verified quickly, but I think it's fair for -any- applicant to question how their app is processed. Does AMCAS' non-profit status require a certain level of financial transparency? (I honestly have no clue about this) I'd love to see some kind of budget report just to satisfy my curiosity. Ultimately I am prepared to wait out the whole process, so yeah... just venting!

MDtobe31311

Class of 2014!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I submitted mine last week... late, I know, but I don't mind the waiting as much as I mind my dad's persistent "is it verified yet? is it verified yet? can you call them and see if they can do it any faster" ahhhhhh

D

DRIN

Agreed! They do clearly warn that there is a time delay of up to 4-6 weeks, but really? really? The process is so costly yet so inefficient; I can't help but be annoyed.
That's why it's great submitting on the first day :) I think it took them about 4 hours to verify me.

cher25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
That's why it's great submitting on the first day :) I think it took them about 4 hours to verify me.
Yeah, mine was verified in 4 days after submitting on 6/7. The last time I applied, I submitted in late June (around the 26th) and it took them until the third week of August! (Roughly 7 weeks) At least this time it looks like their going a bit faster.

Ignition

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
i submitted 4th of July and i got verified minutes ago
So they're running about 20 days behind. Not bad I suppose.

Anyways one thing that annoys me is that they have to correct people's mistakes who didn't read the directions. I specifically read through the instruction manual 3 times, and proofread the course work section at least 5-6 times to ensure it was consistent with their instructions. In fact I ended up delaying submission a day just to ensure it was correct. The fact that this delay is partially responsible because some were not this careful and instead opted to send it out as fast as possible is annoying.

Last edited:

Naijaba

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I submitted mine last week... late, I know, but I don't mind the waiting as much as I mind my dad's persistent "is it verified yet? is it verified yet? can you call them and see if they can do it any faster" ahhhhhh
Why does your dad care more about your medical school app than you?

paki20

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
Status
how is it some people are getting verified on the weekend? does amcas have people working on the weekend??

plsletmein

im on bended knees
May 6, 2009
Status
how is it some people are getting verified on the weekend? does amcas have people working on the weekend??
they probably got verified yesterday but didn't check until today so they thought they got verified today

MDtobe31311

Class of 2014!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
you must not be Asian..
Hahaa, yes I am Asian. Wow I didn't know it would be that obvious. I guess Asian parents are pretty stereotypical :)
Oh, and I do care about my medical school app. But I know obsessing over waiting for it to be verified isn't going to help me any.