Is it just me or is o-chem on the MCAT substantially easier than o-chem courses?

Apr 27, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I had to work my butt off to get good grades in both ochem courses, but I find the o-chem on the MCAT to be rather easy. Even the passages that look like they contain extraordinary complex structures are really just tasting basic o-chem. It's the bio that kills my BS score every time. Anyone else feel this way? I definitely think that MCAT o-chem is substantially easier than college o-chem, while it's the opposite for bio: the MCAT bio questions are far more difficult than intro college bio.

Jul 28, 2011
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
I had to work my butt off to get good grades in both ochem courses, but I find the o-chem on the MCAT to be rather easy. Even the passages that look like they contain extraordinary complex structures are really just tasting basic o-chem. It's the bio that kills my BS score every time. Anyone else feel this way? I definitely think that MCAT o-chem is substantially easier than college o-chem, while it's the opposite for bio: the MCAT bio questions are far more difficult than intro college bio.
Without studying any ochem, I was getting about 80% of the questions right on the practice AAMCs.

Then came the real thing. There was one passage that had to do with an experiment (something I had never seen before). It killed me.

The Ochem knowledge required is less, I'll admit that. Doesn't mean it's necessarily easier though.

OP
D
Apr 27, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Without studying any ochem, I was getting about 80% of the questions right on the practice AAMCs.

Then came the real thing. There was one passage that had to do with an experiment (something I had never seen before). It killed me.

The Ochem knowledge required is less, I'll admit that. Doesn't mean it's necessarily easier though.
Yuck. So far in my prep I'm getting about 90% of the o-chem questions right and only about 63-65% of the bio questions right.