Is it just me or is the whole admissions process random

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fgh32112

Reaction score
So I don’t want to complain since I’ve gotten many interviews at great schools like Hopkins penn and Columbia, but today I was placed on hold at nyu and honestly I’m a little shocked. Like of all the schools I applied to I thought i had the highest chance at nyu since I was under the impression that they were a stats school. At the same time I wasn’t expecting much from the other schools since they focused less on stats. I guess I’m confused because the nyu secondary didn’t even ask for anything, so I just don’t understand what they could reject me for. I have strong research, multiple pubs, community service, etc and I think my application is strong otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten my other interviews. Is this process completely random? Did the person reading my app just not happen to like me for whatever reason? This is also my first bad news this cycle so perhaps I’m still in denial.

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
You’re going to be taken to the woodshed by this forum for that post. God speed

• Haha
Reactions: 81 users
Is it really bad news when you scored interviews at Hopkins, Penn and Columbia? Come on, now. Be the person those schools think you are and tighten up that maturity.

Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh I’m sorry please don’t hate me!! I am very happy about how it’s gone as a whole its just the schools I thought I would get I didn’t get, and school I didn’t expect I ended up getting. Idk it’s just weird how the whole application process has gone. I’m sure other people feel this way?

Reactions: 1 user
So I don’t want to complain since I’ve gotten many interviews at great schools like Hopkins penn and Columbia, but today I was placed on hold at nyu and honestly I’m a little shocked. Like of all the schools I applied to I thought i had the highest chance at nyu since I was under the impression that they were a stats school. At the same time I wasn’t expecting much from the other schools since they focused less on stats. I guess I’m confused because the nyu secondary didn’t even ask for anything, so I just don’t understand what they could reject me for. I have strong research, multiple pubs, community service, etc and I think my application is strong otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten my other interviews. Is this process completely random? Did the person reading my app just not happen to like me for whatever reason? This is also my first bad news this cycle so perhaps I’m still in denial.
It's a nice lesson in the fact that life isn't fair and doesn't always make sense. Congrats on your achievements thus far!

Reactions: 6 users
Hopkins penn and Columbia
Congrats! #humblebrag
was under the impression that they were a stats school.
So, you thought you would get an in at NYU solely because you’ve got Cush numbers? Weird flex, mate.
they focused less on stats
Hear that, fellas - Hopkins, Penn, and Columbia are not stats focused!

Stats aren’t everything. And now that NYU is free tuition (this is the first cycle that they were free tuition day one) You need the whole goddamn shebang.
so I just don’t understand what they could reject me for
They didn’t reject you - they placed you on hold. They have ready rejected a lot of people. Do you want them to reject you? Because they definitely could have.
I have strong research, community service, etc and I think my application is strong otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten my other interviews.
Today you had people with the same or better stats that have PhDs, been in the Peace Corps, Served in the Military, and so on who all also got placed on hold. Having high stats and checking all the boxes does not an interview invite make.
Is this process completely random?
No. Each school wants different things. This is the first year NYU is free tuition, so they have likely changed their formula.
Did the person reading my app just not happen to like me for whatever reason
Or, hear me out, the school liked you enough to put in their “later” pile but not enough for an outright interview. They have probably changed up their formula, filled a certain number of interview slots, and will see how good their new tippity toppity tier applicants are and those on hold will fill the post-January interview slots. You weren’t rejected. Calm down and don’t act entitled in this process.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Where there are humans, there will be mistakes. Also keep in mind that there is a lot of "behind the scenes" action that applicants don't see.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats! #humblebrag

So, you thought you would get an in at NYU solely because you’ve got Cush numbers? Weird flex, mate.

Hear that, fellas - Hopkins, Penn, and Columbia are not stats focused!

Stats aren’t everything. And now that NYU is free tuition (this is the first cycle that they were free tuition day one) You need the whole goddamn shebang.

They didn’t reject you - they placed you on hold. They have ready rejected a lot of people. Do you want them to reject you? Because they definitely could have.

Today you had people with the same or better stats that have PhDs, been in the Peace Corps, Served in the Military, and so on who all also got placed on hold. Having high stats and checking all the boxes does not an interview invite make.

No. Each school wants different things. This is the first year NYU is free tuition, so they have likely changed their formula.

Or, hear me out, the school liked you enough to put in their “later” pile but not enough for an outright interview. They have probably changed up their formula, filled a certain number of interview slots, and will see how good their new tippity toppity tier applicants are and those on hold will fill the post-January interview slots. You weren’t rejected. Calm down and don’t act entitled in this process.
Well not solely because I have good numbers, but because that and I know I have a strong app. Also who said I didn’t have a phd lol.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Well not solely because I have good numbers, but because that and I know I have a strong app. Also who said I didn’t have a phd lol.
I know I have a strong app, but still never felt entitled or expectant to receive an interview. I know many on that wave who know they have strong apps, but none were expectant or spiteful. You are acting like you are entitled to an NYU interview. You are not. I am sorry it hurt you, really I am. But you already have 10 interview invites when you applied to 20 schools.

This is MED school admissions not Pokémon, you don’t need to catch’em all.

Someone in the review process saw something they didn’t like, or something that wasn’t as good of a match as others, or (the most likely situation) they have already filled so many interview slots just with luck of the draw in the process that none of our applications have actually been reviewed and they are just set aside in the later pile.

The process is not random. You will yield the success or failure that your application has set up.

Reactions: 18 users
imagine being this entitled...smh

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 21 users
Jeez guys I don't think OP is acting entitled. I think they were appropriately optimistic given their insane success so far. We didn't apply to random schools EXPECTING to get rejected everywhere. We had to have SOME confidence that we were a good fit for the school and vice versa. I think OP felt like they were a good fit for NYU and was legit just surprised that they received interviews at places they didn't feel were as good a fit as NYU was.

Let's not hate on anyone! I think it's perfectly understandable that OP felt optimistic/expectant given their success so far.

I was also put on hold today OP :( no interviews yet tho haha

Congrats to OP and Meme for your successes so far!

Reactions: 9 users
Am I acting entitled anywhere in this thread? No, so let’s try to keep the hate on OP. Cush deal, my guy.

Or..... we can just be mature adults and not hate on OP and let nature run its course and serve him a piece of humble pie on its own accord.

Members don't see this ad :)
optimistic
Optimism is 100000% alright. We can all hope for and feel confident in our odds. I think the biggest issue with the OP is that his default was to react in the manner of “I should have gotten here, especially since I got these other places. It must be random.” That ‘it must be random’ aspect implies the OP believes their app simply could not have anything that NYU didn’t like and thus his hold is a random event not a choice by the school. That is the entitlement.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I see you deleted your impulsive reply, memes (btw, what does "cush deal, my guy" mean? lol). That's fine and probably for the better. My intent wasn't an insult, just trying to slow your roll on OP. No need to say the things you did.

what does "cush deal, my guy" mean? lol
Haven’t the slightest clue. I adopted Cush, flex, my guy, it be how it do, and mate into my lingo recently and I don’t even know what they mean half the time. Just easier to express something and hope the ambiguity helps it make sense lol
just trying to slow your roll on OP. No need to say the things you did.
Yah, I will slow my roll on OP. I have said what I wanted to say to the point of redundancy. Just getting my “I can’t sleep very well the day before an interview so I gotta get that SDN hype” jitters outta the way.

You’re feelings are valid, OP. You are upset, I get that. I felt a little duped when I got that email too. Saw the NYU header, first thought was “sweet, gotta schedule that now!” Opened it up and was sorely disappointed to say the least.

Just be self aware of the way it is coming off in how you are wording it (coming from a guy who is absolutely not self aware...). Attacking the system for your disappointment is like blaming the controller for missing the headhsot. In the end, you just have a broken controller and you still lost the match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Meanwhile... I'm sitting on 3 DO IIs feeling like the luckiest man on Earth :)

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
-Account created yesterday

-Makes super neurotic and inflammatory post

-responses only make it worse

Hmmmm

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
The selection process only seems random to the uninitiated
TBH it is statements like this that we on SDN so commonly state and are often so commonly true....but to applicants who are not very competitive and who don’t have 4 interviews to compare what they did right and wrong...these kinds of statements kinda seem devaluing (despite being honest and realistic).

Any idea how we can talk about the app cycle in an equitable way to those who are not otherwise a lost cause but are still not doing too hot?

TBH it is statements like this that we on SDN so commonly state and are often so commonly true....but to applicants who are not very competitive and who don’t have 4 interviews to compare what they did right and wrong...these kinds of statements kinda seem devaluing (despite being honest and realistic). Any idea how we can talk about the app cycle in an equitable way to those who are not otherwise a lost cause but are still not doing too hot?
My comment here was directed towards the OP, who seemed to think that despite getting multiple top 10 interviews that the process is "completely random". However, the same comment also applies to everyone. Personally, I do not think that types of statements should be seen as devaluing. If someone isn't finding success this cycle, the focus should be on findings ways to improve their application. Sugar-coating things and attributing someone's lack of success to random chance (even if well-meaning) isn't doing them any favors.

Despite some flaws in the review system, I nevertheless do believe that the process is fairly equitable. Those most deserving of an acceptance (as determined through a holistic review of their entire application) will ultimately be accepted. Some applicants may require more than one cycle to demonstrate this, and for those in this situation, this forum is here to help become a stronger applicant. Also important to remember is that what a school finds important may not match with what an applicant believes to be important. Just my thoughts

Last edited:
Haven't you experienced same thing with undergrad admissions?

The selection process only seems random to the uninitiated

1568724313747.png

This is a surprisingly accurate comparison to med school admissions...

I truly feel for you OP. I can only recommend emailing NYU to let them know of your other interviews and hope they realize their mistake.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
I understand your frustration when being placed on hold at NYU, a top medical school. At the same time, be happy with what you have, as you have interviews from other great schools. It is fine to express your frustration, but at the same time, be humble, because once you become a physician, you will need it.

I don’t think the OP is ungrateful for his/her interviews. I have seen tons of incredibly competitive applicants get put on hold today (many of whom have many interview invites to other top schools). I think NYU must be changing the way they do things undoubtedly. I don’t think anyone would argue that NYU with free tuition is more competitive than Harvard or Hopkins. My bet is that they are interviewing much less people due to increased yield. Interested to see how this plays out

I think something that people forget is that medical schools also care about class cohesion and diversity of thought. Many of us have similar experiences, so I would not be surprised if the "other" things that make us unique might play a role in who they decide to interview, especially with so many people applying. Maybe they want some more athletes, or musicians, or service oriented people, or people who are interested in medical education. While it may seem like a random process, I don't doubt that ADCOMs are considering these things in the background.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t think the OP is ungrateful for his/her interviews. I have seen tons of incredibly competitive applicants get put on hold today (many of whom have many interview invites to other top schools). I think NYU must be changing the way they do things undoubtedly. I don’t think anyone would argue that NYU with free tuition is more competitive than Harvard or Hopkins. My bet is that they are interviewing much less people due to increased yield. Interested to see how this plays out
I'd argue that NYU with free tuition is at least as competitive as the aforementioned schools.

I'd argue that NYU with free tuition is at least as competitive as the aforementioned schools.

Perhaps but a decent portion of applicants at the top 5 will receive generous need or merit based aid. My EFC is likely to be 0 making the finacial aid processes of all these schools pretty comparable. I think it will only really have an impact on those who will be saving 200k+. Also, dont discount the cost of living in NYC--it is incredibly astronomically high

I am amazed that the supposed best and the brightest, the premeds, cannot fathom how the admissions process works, the numbers of applicants who are in the pool, having their own background as insight into the process, or sometimes as in the case above, cant understand the English language.
1) Your application wasnt rejected, it was placed on hold. two different words with two different meanings, It means precisely that, It is being held from further processing or consideration at this time, presumably reconsidered in the future.
2) I hear you ask "But how could they do that to me, outstanding applicant that I am? " A friend who is a professor at an Ivy medical school likes to ask his new first year medical students "how many here graduated summa/magna cum laude or with honors?" A large majority of the class will raise hands. He then says "Ok, just remember you all are just average now, if that." This is an Olympic-level event, with champions from all over. And no matter how good everyone is, only the top 3 will go home with medals. So you are competing with applicants who have you solid background of stats and EC or better.
3) Last year, NYU got over 6,000 verified applications but only had interview slots for under 1200. Therefore, over 80% of applicants were ultimately rejected pre-II. This is just due to sheer numbers of applicants.

If you didn't ask "why" when you received your many other interview invites, it's not appropriate to ask "why" you're being put on hold for this one. You aren't entitled to anything.

Unless you're a troll. Then you're entitled to ridicule and shame.

• Love
Did the person reading my app just not happen to like me for whatever reason? This is also my first bad news this cycle so perhaps I’m still in denial.
Your application and whether or not you get an II are not affirmations of your likability, character or person hood.

A baseball player who only gets a hit 1/3 times in every at bat in his career is likely to end up in the baseball Hall of Fame.

So quit whining because you didn't make it on the Red Sox or Dodgers rosters.

Reactions: 2 users
Did I ever say I was not happy about the other interviews I received? Just because I received other interviews doesn’t mean that I can’t question why I didn’t receive an interview at another school. I don’t think it’s absurd to claim that there is a degree of randomness to this whole process. Some of my classmates with a very similar profile received nyu interviews but not to Hopkins, or penn but not Columbia, etc. My point is that there doesn’t seem to be a clear pattern. I also don’t think that the missions of these top schools differ greatly, so that can’t really be it. Also as a first time poster on sdn I have to say some of you seem to take pleasure in bullying others. I wonder how that makes you a compassionate physician. I ask an honest question which I’m sure many premeds have and I take all the flak for it. Oh well...

I wonder how that makes you a compassionate physician. I ask an honest question which I’m sure many premeds have and I take all the flak for it. Oh well...
And there it is: the great leap from our responses on here to our clinical competence out in the real world. You're not trying to be our patient, you're trying to be our colleague. If you don't want honest responses, don't ask "honest questions."

• Love
Did I ever say I was not happy about the other interviews I received? Just because I received other interviews doesn’t mean that I can’t question why I didn’t receive an interview at another school. I don’t think it’s absurd to claim that there is a degree of randomness to this whole process. Some of my classmates with a very similar profile received nyu interviews but not to Hopkins, or penn but not Columbia, etc. My point is that there doesn’t seem to be a clear pattern. I also don’t think that the missions of these top schools differ greatly, so that can’t really be it. Also as a first time poster on sdn I have to say some of you seem to take pleasure in bullying others. I wonder how that makes you a compassionate physician. I ask an honest question which I’m sure many premeds have and I take all the flak for it. Oh well...

It was your choice of words in your initial post. Saying you were "shocked" that you didn't get an interview to NYU does sound a little entitled. This process is difficult and it is definitely not your stats or ECs that kept you from getting an interview. There are real people reading these applications. Maybe they didn't like your secondary application or maybe they were looking for something else in particular. Don't worry about what you can't control. Focus on the interviews you do have and always be grateful.

• Love
And there it is: the great leap from our responses on here to our clinical competence out in the real world. You're not trying to be our patient, you're trying to be our colleague. If you don't want honest responses, don't ask "honest questions."
I mean a lot of the responses above don’t really answer my question and are rather just people making fun of me.

I mean a lot of the responses above don’t really answer my question and are rather just people making fun of me.

Sorry if you feel that way. I dont think that is anyones intentions. Some are just poking at ya for the lolz. But chin up, you got interview invites from top schools, one school turned you down who cares in your situation. If it is really bothering you, you can give them a call in April 30 if they never remove you off hold and ask why. Until then, focus on your interviews and be grateful for what you have, which Im sure you are.

It was answered but your hypothesis and assumption of how this model should be is incorrect. You assume that
1) you have high stats therefore a high stat school should invite you
2) all T20 medical schools are similar therefore since you were invited for some you should be invite to most or all

As has been said in this thread by myself and posters:
1) you werent rejected; you were held. This simply could be a result of dealing with 6000 application. Processing takes time
2) you have 6000 applicants 1100 interview slots. Even if half were cut from the start, that still leaves another 3000 to decide from. It takes time
3) most of the applicants are like you, high stats, solid background. Realize you arent a special snow flake in this
4) adcoms and evaluators are human and have differences within and across schools. Expectation that all should act in a way that guarantees similar results across school is not reality.
5) getting into any medical school is difficult just, with nearly half of all matriculants getting a single acceptance. Getting into a specific T20, just an interview is a challenge

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
SDN being flooded with:

"Why was I rejected/held from X school / haven't heard from X schools / should I be worried / when should I be worried / how worried should I be / why did X invite me but Y reject me" threads lately.
Can they just be combined into just one mega-thread please :oops:
I don't think these threads are helpful to anyone or serve any useful function other than fan the flames of anxiety

Last edited:
  • Haha
Yep. Now, if you were a Green Beret or Navy SEAL with a first-author Nature paper, you’d be close to being a special snowflake. The level of competition at top 20 schools is SAVAGE; it would take something like the Medal of Honor, a Nobel Peace Prize, or maybe being elected Governor or Senator to be a special snowflake by top-20 standards. And that’s assuming you have a 3.9+/523+.

It's official: this is Walt, now with a SAVAGE spin

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

I love calling out trolls but I think OP is genuine this time.

OP, I understand where you’re coming from. I can’t decipher the intonation in your text, but it sounds to me like you’re more curious about how admissions works - and maybe a little upset about a school you had high hopes for. At the same time, you ought to understand that there are many who would kill to be in your shoes right now, and your post can come across as rather ungrateful.

But to answer your question - you’ll never know the answer to your question. It’s not “completely random” because you got several II’s where you’re academically fitb enough to get them (and many who aren’t will not receive IIs). It’s functionally a little random, because different schools will be looking for different traits at different times; which you couldn’t possibly predict (or control, even if you had the info)

The harsh truth is that a lot of the process has a component of randomness to it. That’s been a bitter pill to swallow.

Anybody that goes 20 for 20 on top-20 school IIs is a SAVAGE that makes ordinary SAVAGE applicants look like midpack applicants. They're Rwandan refugees and Green Beret combat medics with first-author papers in Cell, or transgender North Korean gulag escapees that've founded international nonprofits, or full tenured Harvard professors at 26 who've published genuinely groundbreaking research and have perfect grades and test scores.

Such applicants are extremely rare. Ten IIs already indicates you're a SAVAGE and should do well, maybe make it into a top school.
Yep. Most premeds have no idea how many SAVAGES are in the applicant pool, to their detriment.
Harvard is the Yankees of medical schools. Both are SAVAGE.
As Gonnif has so eloquently stated, medical school admissions IS an Olympic caliber event with SAVAGE applicants from all over coming to compete. However, it is not an Olympic event like track and field or swimming where it is very easy to tell where you stand in relation to your competitors and who won or lost. It is more like gymnastics or ice skating. Is someone like Simone Biles or Gabby Douglas better than your local gymnast? Sure. But a lot comes down to the judges. Maybe the Hopkins judges liked your gymnastics performance better than the NYU ones.
Yep. Now, if you were a Green Beret or Navy SEAL with a first-author Nature paper, you’d be close to being a special snowflake. The level of competition at top 20 schools is SAVAGE; it would take something like the Medal of Honor, a Nobel Peace Prize, or maybe being elected Governor or Senator to be a special snowflake by top-20 standards. And that’s assuming you have a 3.9+/523+.
The Wise Cat Goro’s Turkey Rule is legit, SAVAGE-quality advice: if you have no IIs by Thanksgiving, add DO schools and prepare for a reapplication.

^Whose mans is this guy

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.