Is it just me or is USMLE-RX really hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iki4life

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started RX and I'm going subject wise in tutor mode, with all questions enabled (easy, medium, hard). I review FA+DIT and then do a block from that same subject after a few days....and Biochemistry has completely annihilated me. Im not talking 50%, I'm talking lower than that....much lower than that.
Im no SDN genius like most out there, but yeah, Rx is absolutely killing me and demoralizing me at this moment. I would say 80-90% questions dont even have an answer in FA.

Members don't see this ad.

I just started RX and I'm going subject wise in tutor mode, with all questions enabled (easy, medium, hard). I review FA+DIT and then do a block from that same subject after a few days....and Biochemistry has completely annihilated me. Im not talking 50%, I'm talking lower than that....much lower than that.
Im no SDN genius like most out there, but yeah, Rx is absolutely killing me and demoralizing me at this moment. I would say 80-90% questions dont even have an answer in FA.
I know you probably want the 'I fell your pain' responses, but Rx is actually cake compared to UWorld for the most part, as many here will also most likely tell you. Just keep at it. You know the deal. I generally advocate Rx to my students to accompany First Aid if they're early in prep. Even if you feel much of it is beyond the scope of the book, it's really not, and is the best to help you learn the text.

Reactions: 1 users
I found Rx hard at first too when your knowledge base is low. Because you either know it or you don't. I was doing worse on Rx than Kaplan because I couldn't reason through it. But after the end of dedicated Rx was the easiest bank by far and I found myself reading the last sentence and answering more questions than I should have been able to.

Doing USMLE-Rx is actually an excellent way to memorize FA, and I think it's made for this, not to stimulate the real exam.

That said, I assume you may need to revise FA again so the concepts get more clear.

When I started RX (which was almost a year ago), I was getting 40s%. I knew it meant nothing but that the knowledge base is bad and we need to put in a lot of effort and time, which I did. Now, after having done ~80% of RX I'm getting 70s-80s%. Transitioning to UWorld now. Started UW with 60s% and hoping to take it to 80+. Good luck to you too!