Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is it just me or...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 229141, Dec 28, 2008.

1. 229141

Pre-Medical
    Do the majority of doctors you see during your volunteering/shadowing just seem to be arrogant or generally mean people? Over half of the ones I've seen here either act like they're a god or that they just hate everyone. Not only shadowing have I noticed this..but as a patient too. If I ever got to the point where I was like that I would get the hell out of medicine before I turned into a huge prick...

Thank god I've met a few who are normal good guys..but the majority are either odd/arrogant/pompus/etc...its discouraging..

2. Artimacia

Artimacia can do stuff real good
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Yea, in some places I've noticed that. When I volunteered at a clinic, the doctors and nurses were all volunteers. Some of the younger doctors (and I mean 40's or so young) seemed arrogant and walked around with a sense of authority over everyone. Then there was this one man that was probably about 70. He was a gynocologist and the head nurse and I used to joke a little (because he had was short (I'm also short so not to be mean to any short people lol)) that he didn't need to sit down to see his job. He was really nice and liked to say hello to everyone when he came in.

I don't know if it's just the prestige that comes with job, or just being a little bitter, or what.

Sometimes it worries me about asking to shadow or talk (like you mentioned in your other thread). Some doctors I see just seem so mean that I don't know if I'd even enjoy being in there because of them being in a bad mood. I don't have a primary care doctor so that doesn't help me :(

#2 Artimacia, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  3. niranjan162

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    i think the training/system makes people cynical.

4. Artimacia

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    probably

5. 229141

Pre-Medical
    This kinda thing used to make me not want to be a doctor...but now it actually is more encouragement for all of us to go into medicine I think. Remember all of the times you saw the arrogant physicians and promise yourself you will not turn into that...as corny as it may sound haha.

And about shadowing...it sucks asking people but honestly you learn to take what they throw at you...just hope you get lucky and meet one of the nicer docs hah

6. LifelongStudent

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    not to be mean or anything...but isnt it a little weird for someone to be saying stuff about doctors being full of themselves when you have your shirt off in your avatar?

7. Artimacia

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Yea, I know what you mean. It could be worse, they could tell you that you will never work in this business, etc etc, or even worse than that.

When I was younger, the doctors I had were nice, funny people. Now that I'm older, a lot I see are mean and bitter, with a few nice ones here and there. Like you, and as far as premed is concerned, I've always wanted to stay human, so to speak. I know so many premed students that are mean, cut throat, and hateful. I see doctors that are angry and bitter. I stay nice to people, I offer to help them study for the MCAT along side with me. I offer advice on good schools to go to because I know if they got the grades and ECs and stuff for it, they deserve it and I should be mad because of that, and I want to carry this attitude throughout my life, despite any mean people I may (and more than likely will) run into. Ya know what I mean?

But again, not every doctor I see is mean, nor are every premed students.

8. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    true 'dat

9. Superman78

2+ Year Member

Hehe.

Yeah, sure, we've all noticed arrogant doctors. I guess that can happen when in your profession you are the know-it-all and your "customers" are ignorant about what they need. You can tend to get a big head after a while, not realizing that when you leave the doors of the hospital/clinic, you put your pants on one leg at a time, and poop, just like everyone else.

BTW, as much as I love House M.D, I think it's going to create a lot of arrogant doctors. Unless you're a genius like Greg House you're not allowed to be arrogant!

10. Artimacia

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    True about that. I do love House though haha, marathon tomorrow (sunday)!

11. Livingapparatus

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think they are all just tired

12. 229141

Pre-Medical

LOL I got owned on that one :)

That seriously made me burst out laughing hahaha

13. 229141

Pre-Medical
    Exactly. You can be competitive about pre-med without being an ******* to everyone. Some people think you have to cut down others and never help out your fellow student in order to be a "hardcore" pre med... My attitude is I'm going to do my best, but I will still help people out when they are looking for it. So what it might mess the curve up a little bit...if I'm really good enough I'll make it anyway..

14. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know some that are nice and some that are not so nice.

I think the environment makes them that way.

When I get on an elevator with one at work, I will say a friendly "hello". Actually, most will at least say hello and engage in conversation.

If they don't, I say "hello" again and try to get a response.

I did have one I told he should not be so arrogant as not to even speak to someone that said hello when he looked them right in the face.

Because you never know who may be a peer one day. I also told him I hope I never get that way where I am too good to say a friendly hello.

He apologized and said he was just overworked and stressed from the pressure.

I think we train doctors to be analytical robots without feelings to stay objective. Therefore, they forget to be human even on an elevator. Sometimes, you just need to remind them....they are human.

15. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    10+ Year Member

They just need a hug. Just hug them when you're in an elevator and say everything will be okay.

16. Handy388

Removed

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    alaska, do us all a favor and put your shirt on.

17. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sad thing is in today's sue happy world, you probably would get a sexual harassment claim put on you. :D

18. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've been very lucky because all the doctors I've worked with (research, shadowing, etc.) have been so nice and eager to get to know me and to answer my questions.
    One doctor (who already has so much on his plate) has offered to mentor me since he's served on the admissions board various times.

19. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    :laugh:

20. Slowpoke

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    haha

21. CancerKiller007

CancerKiller007 mudphud wannabe
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I know what has this world come to....can't I just stare at those fake boobs or say ma'm your hours in the gym are paying off...nice ass....NO MORE! ALAS :rolleyes:

22. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    ..>>>>>

haha

23. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A couple days in a clinic will clear this one up for you. How many children with a runny nose and a mother worried about meningitis because of the internet does it take before you start to grow impatient?

Also, most people doctors work with are idiots... including some of the doctors! Seems like after donating your 20s to being good at what you do, the people around you should be good at what they do as well.

Third, volunteer clinics maybe not so much, but in general, is that the environment that you would want to practice in? Is that what you want to do day-in day-out with your degree? Why do you think they do either...

24. kac714

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    all of the doctors I work with are sooo nice. The residents even take time to have lunch with me and answer all my questions... maybe they are a rarity but I hope not...

25. s1lver

s1lver ☠☠☠☠☠☠☠☠

Pre-Medical
    It's pretty much the same deal with lawyers. Most of them are colossal a-holes.

26. robynrich

robynrich Postbacc Member
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I shadowed probably around fifteen doctors this summer, and a lot of them were a VERY mixed bag when it came to encouragement/optimism/kindness in general.
    My second day, I had a female OBGYN ask me, in a very serious manner, if I would please reconsider medical school and shoot for an MBA instead, since she wouldn't recommend the medical career to anyone anymore. So, yeah, that was a bummer. Then I had an interventional radiologist tell me the same thing a few days later.
    However, for every doctor that was very discouraging or just not a very kind person, there would be another doctor who was genuinely excited to have a student shadow them and would give them a lot of encouragement about the medical profession.
    Also, one of the most (seemingly) happy and awesome physicians I met was a primary care resident who did not match into his first choice specialty. Overall, a lot of the physicians I met gave me hope that there are still doctors out there who enjoy what they do and that all are not arrogant/bitter. Don't let the jerk ones get you down...

27. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That was probably because it's impossible to practice these days because of ridiculously high malpractice insurance. I've heard to specifically not go into OB/GYN but all others were okay.

I've had vascular surgeons, critical care medicine docs, anesthesiologists, opthamologists, general surgeons, etc. tell me that they love their job and they are encouraging their kids to pursue medicine because it's so great.

I've only had a cardiothoracic surgeon tell me to run the other way and that's probably because that specialty is being phased out.

28. robynrich

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Lately, I have been hearing the same thing about the OBGYN profession, and it does sadden me for some friends I have who want to go into it. However, after shadowing, I know that OBGYN is definitely not for me anyway! Haha.

29. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well that's good then. Being a woman, I've known for a while that it's not for me. haha

30. robynrich

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Same here! As a female, watching some of those OBGYN surgeries just made me hurt, while also just not being enjoyable to watch anyway! I enjoyed general surgery more, and a lot more of those physicians seemed happier in their career choice (i.e. didn't try to talk me out of it!)

31. Artimacia

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Above, if you were mentioning about the volunteer clinic I was talking about, and the volunteer doctors and such, all of them either have a full time position in their own clinic or hospital, or are retired. Forgot to mention that.

32. Kakoy

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Recently, I met two anesthesiologist. They were both arrogant (one deserves it...Hopkins undergrad, med school, residency, and faculty). However, they both encourage me to pursuit their field because it has decent hours and one can spend time with family. They were fairly nice if curt.

33. cyclin M

cyclin M megaman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    All doctors I've shadowed and met with were all very kind and polite. They were friendly, welcoming, and really instilled in me a solid positive paradigm of the kind of doctor I want to be. This description applies to both doctors I know via family and doctors I e-mailed to shadow randomly. No one has told me to run the other way and they all acknowledge it is a tough job, but the reward of making a difference in someone's life is just priceless. Isn't that why we're all on this forum? :)

34. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :laugh:

I can think of a couple of possibilities.