UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
5,046
7
37
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I haven't noticed (I haven't gotten that high... hopefully I will, though). It's probably because the people who take time to post at SDN (and especially in the MCAT forum) are pretty motivated. :)
 
About the Ads

irie

royale with cheese
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,071
0
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
35+ = md/phd = no social life = willing to post scores
 

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
1,494
18
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by jhk43
or does it seem like everyone has a 35+.
What r u talking about man..... I barely touched 30 on last full length

and except for a few who are getting consistent 34-35, i see rest of the posted results are in high 20s to low 30s .... that's this year ..... if u r talking about last year then I don't know :D
 

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
1,721
0
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
its not just you. i'm on SDN almost every day, for a reason i can only label as "a deep-seeded and mysterious self-hatred," and i'm quite flustered by the majority of the posts i read. like previously said, you're going to get the high-end pre-meds here-- people who spend 12+ hours per day being a pre-med in classrooms, labs, and EC's, then come home and unwind in their free time by going on the internet and...being a pre-med some more! we're all guilty of it, so you just need to remind yourself of reality.

at my school, Podunk State Univ., i just talked to a guy who is retaking his MCAT this april because he got a 15 last april. do you think he posts sh.t here? not a chance. and his case is NOT unique.

just keep things in perspective. if that proves to be easier said than done, just do what i've done-- drink a fifth of beefeater every night, and then cry yourself to sleep while clutching an MCAT prep book in the fetal position. don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
157
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by superdevil
if that proves to be easier said than done, just do what i've done-- drink a fifth of beefeater every night, and then cry yourself to sleep while clutching an MCAT prep book in the fetal position. don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
You should start a thread like "EK Vs Kaplan while drinking a fifth of gin and crying yourself to sleep". :cool:
 

farley is god

Empty Tank.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2004
271
0
The Filthy Dirty
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by superdevil

just keep things in perspective. if that proves to be easier said than done, just do what i've done-- drink a fifth of beefeater every night, and then cry yourself to sleep while clutching an MCAT prep book in the fetal position. don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
can I suck my thumb whilst clutching the book? :(

thanks in advance.
 

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
2,336
6
Status
Attending Physician
We all have strengths and weaknesses... I hope to have a good MCAT (taking in April) because I'm a good test-taker, but I have a 2.95 GPA Achilles heel.

I spend a lot more time at home with my wife and children, and at work, than I do being a pre-med. But it's certainly true that I have no social life. That may have more to do with being 35 years old than my hectic schedule, though.
 

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
1,922
10
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by superdevil
......... like previously said, you're going to get the high-end pre-meds here-- ..........
at my school, Podunk State Univ., i just talked to a guy who is retaking his MCAT this april because he got a 15 last april. do you think he posts sh.t here? not a chance. and his case is NOT unique.
I definitely second this thought. A guy at my school wasn't happy with his 1st MCAT score so he re-took it - but he didn't do any more studying the second time than the 1st! Surprise, surprise - he got the same score the second time around.

Most people who are out there are not nearly as focused... *cough*obsessive*cough* ...as those of us here on SDN!
 
About the Ads

irie

royale with cheese
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,071
0
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by MrTee
A joke that's not funny?
it is 100 percent true.
 

MrTee

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
337
2
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by irie
it is 100 percent true.
How can you state that to be a fact, when it is obviously not the situation for many people? Does that mean if I score a 34 then I'm not going to be MD/PHD and not willing to post about it, and also have a better social life? Scoring a few points higher on a test means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Sounds like someone is bitter...
 

R_C_Hutchinson

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
299
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by SailCrazy
I definitely second this thought. A guy at my school wasn't happy with his 1st MCAT score so he re-took it - but he didn't do any more studying the second time than the 1st! Surprise, surprise - he got the same score the second time around.

Most people who are out there are not nearly as focused... *cough*obsessive*cough* ...as those of us here on SDN!

hhaahh, i know. i seriously can't believe people here sometimes. after you see 3 or 4 "i got a 34 and im really bummed, should i retake?" threads, things start to skew. I even know a gil who got a 32 and was really angry- despite my best efforts she's retaking in april because she was diag'ing at 33-34 and "needs" those two extra points.
 

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,004
81
Status
Attending Physician
Not a good idea to retake unless you can be sure youll do 3 points better.
 

R_C_Hutchinson

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2003
299
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Pinkertinkle
Not a good idea to retake unless you can be sure youll do 3 points better.
i've heard this too before, however, i'm not sure i've ever heard a source for it. I really doubt you have to get 3 points higher to retake (so going from a 28 to a 31 is meaningless)?
 

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,004
81
Status
Attending Physician
Since both scores show up, i doubt the adcoms would make treat that 31 as if someone had taken it once and gotten a 31, since the deviation is about +- 3 per taking.
 

irie

royale with cheese
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,071
0
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by MrTee
How can you state that to be a fact, when it is obviously not the situation for many people? Does that mean if I score a 34 then I'm not going to be MD/PHD and not willing to post about it, and also have a better social life? Scoring a few points higher on a test means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Sounds like someone is bitter...
It is a fact. Yes. I'm not bitter.
 

irie

royale with cheese
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,071
0
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by MrTee
Can you give me specific examples? Particularly about the part where you state that its a fact that if you score over 35 on the mcat you have no life.
do a search for md/phd and social skills
 

MrTee

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
337
2
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by irie
do a search for md/phd and social skills
I put in those search terms, and all I got was this thread, and a couple others that don't pertain to high mcat scores and poor social skills, except with the possible exception of the 12 year old at loyola. If that's what your proof is, I don't see it as being very persuasive. So can you link me directly to the threads you're talking about?
 

irie

royale with cheese
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,071
0
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by MrTee
I put in those search terms, and all I got was this thread, and a couple others that don't pertain to high mcat scores and poor social skills, except with the possible exception of the 12 year old at loyola. If that's what your proof is, I don't see it as being very persuasive. So can you link me directly to the threads you're talking about?
ok i give up. I was just joking. It was a little inside-ish joke that came from pre-md/phd students' endless hours in the lab and high mcat scores. Someone asked, "why would anyone want to go into research" and somebody said, "no social skills. The only people they've been around for the last 4 years are yeasts".
 

MrTee

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
337
2
Visit site
Status
Okay, I was pretty sure you were joking, but you seemed somewhat serious in your replies. I'll stop wasting bandwidth now.
 
About the Ads