Is it just me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemo123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or when you guys take practice tests (especially the AAMC ones) for PS and BS, do you guys feel like you're kind of guessing for almost all the questions and don't feel 100% sure on your answers? I feel like I do this, and I still do well on my AAMC practice tests, but I feel like I'm uneasy about my answers because I'm not 100% solid on my content review.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. I feel like I do know the stuff, but you know the AAMCs ask questions in a way that makes you think about the materials you've learned in a completely different way, which is why I feel uneasy about my answers. And I do end up doing well results wise (around a 12/13 for all the PS and BS that I've taken), but I wonder how that'll turn out on the real MCAT, especially since most people say that the real MCAT is much harder than the practice AAMCs.

Last edited:
No.

For me, it was fairly easy to eliminate two answer choices quickly. Most of the thought comes in picking the better of the two remaining answers. For clear questions, this was not so difficult. For the entire verbal and the analytical questions in BS and PS, this was harder.

i think theres nothing with feeling unsure about your answers, just because its a stressful and important test. you say you're getting 12/13, so you're fine. on the real test, its going to be ten times more stressful though

^ Yeah... That's what I'm worried about. Since everyone says the actual exam is 100x harder than the AAMC practice ones... I'm a little scared about my uneasiness even with "easier" practice tests.

^ Yeah... That's what I'm worried about. Since everyone says the actual exam is 100x harder than the AAMC practice ones... I'm a little scared about my uneasiness even with "easier" practice tests.

haha that was a quick reply! anyway, from my experience, i dont believe that the actual MCAT is harder than the practice tests. i think the stress of taking the real thing can screw you over. i think its highly dependent on the person. sometimes the aamcs may test content that people are familiar with, and the real thing may test something the test taker is familiar with. i think its totally dependent on the person.
for example, going into the exam, i was consistently getting 10s and 11s on my verbals, getting around 13 on my ps, and straight 11s on my bs.
my ps on the real thing tested stuff that the AAMCs i took never touched (i think lol) that i was not familiar with, anyway i got a 11, lower than average.
i was stressed like crazy after the physical (i thought i bombed it) so it messed with my head during my verbal. i took too long on the first few passages, and ended up rushing. got an 8 :(.
the funny thing is though i never got past an 11 on my AAMC BS, the MCAT tested bio/orgo i was stronger in, and got a 14 lol. you can never tell with the MCAT.

^ Yeah, I guess it really does depend on how well you can handle the stress on test day.