Is it MD even happening?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Margiellamadman

Reaction score
Hi all, please advise if I should even apply MD or not this cycle(reapplicant).

cGPA: 3.61
sGPA:3.23
MCAT: 500——>507

I have several hundred hours of research with publications, 300+ shadowing and volunteering hours, great LoR’s. I just want to work with underserved communities. I’m sorry for keeping this breif and short but I really am confused

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, please advise if I should even apply MD or not this cycle(reapplicant).

cGPA: 3.61
sGPA:3.23
MCAT: 500——>507

I have several hundred hours of research with publications, 300+ shadowing and volunteering hours, great LoR’s. I just want to work with underserved communities. I’m sorry for keeping this breif and short but I really am confused
That sGPA will be lethal for mD schools.
I suggest any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sGPA will be lethal for mD schools.
I suggest any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

I appreciate that. Will look into DO schools as well. I am interested in a surgical speciality or EM; but still would like to work closely in regions with high health disparities.

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your best chances are at DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.
Apply to at least 8 DO schools and you should receive interviews. Include NYIT-COM.
For MD schools you could try these:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you apply last time?
How have you improved your application?
Just the 4 SUNY’s. I applied before I got my score last cycle which was foolish.

I got my MCAT score up a lot even though it’s still not spectacular. I took 5 credits of science classes, (A- and an A). I got ~300 hours of shadowing and volunteering. I had 100 clinical volunteering and 0 hours shadowing last cycle.

I think you are very competitive for DO . MD is a big question since your sGPA is really low for MD.
Thank you! I guess i’ll shoot my shot and see what happens. If I may, what would be the most optimum way to improve my sGPA? I have over 200 undergrad credits. I’m not sure my GPA will budge even if I take 24 credits throughout the next year.

Your GPA won’t budge. But if you can take a couple of semesters of 12+ hours each of upper level science classes and get all As, you might be able to convince ADCOMS you are up to the rigors of med school. Good luck.