Is It Me Or Is DMU Really That Nice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbone

Herro!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to think. I had an interview about a week and a half ago and it was fantastic. :thumbup: :thumbup: It came from out of nowhere but it quickly jumped to my number one pick and I am excited to go there. I was accepted yesterday but I want to know what others think about the school. Pros and Cons? Shout out and give me some good info. Thanks! :confused: :confused: :confused: The new facilites are great and the students were very excited to be there. This was by far the nicest school (as far as facilites/faculty/students/overall student prep.) out of the 7 interviews I have been to thus far. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interviewing there in about 3 weeks. Even before actually visiting there, I considre it my #1 school. Just seems to have nice facilities and students, and a reputable name. From the pictures, the campus looks great. If you don't mind me asking, where else did you interview? Just wondring cause you said it was the nicest campus, so just wanted to know what you were comparing it to. PCOM and AZCOM look like there campus' are nice as well, from the pictures.

I'm hoping to get an interview to DMU soon.

My sister went there and absolutely loved it! That was before they built the new buildings and what not, so I can't imagine how nice it is now. She said the school was top notch, people there were really nice and supportive, and Des Moines was a great place to live.

Good luck in your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm getting really hyped about my dmu interview, too. i hear it's nice; i'm nice, so maybe we'll be a good match. :) i can't say i'd be too crazy about living in des moines, but it is only for two years, unless you opt to stay for clinicals. i'm interested in geriatrics; they have a geriatrics center. i'm into preventative care; they seem to emphasize this as well. they actually allow a medical students 4 choice club to form on campus. it all seems good.

jbone said:
I don't know what to think. I had an interview about a week and a half ago and it was fantastic. :thumbup: :thumbup: It came from out of nowhere but it quickly jumped to my number one pick and I am excited to go there. I was accepted yesterday but I want to know what others think about the school. Pros and Cons? Shout out and give me some good info. Thanks! :confused: :confused: :confused: The new facilites are great and the students were very excited to be there. This was by far the nicest school (as far as facilites/faculty/students/overall student prep.) out of the 7 interviews I have been to thus far. What do you think?

I'm a first year student at DMU, and after two months I don't see how this can't be one of the top schools - MD *or* DO - on everyone's wish list. The facilities are unbelievably nice. I'm very happy to be there.

All the lectures are recorded and placed on the school's intranet in MP3 format. So are the powerpoint presentations that the professors use in the classroom. So if your car breaks down, or you have to go to the dentist, or want to review the material again you can essentially listen to the lecture again right on your laptop. I can't emphasize enough just how useful the ability to do this is.

This is the first time that I've attended a school that does this - I don't know if any others do. However I find the ability to do this to be so useful that I can see a situation developing soon where schools that do not offer this sort of technology are going to be at a serious disadvanatage in attracting students...it's that useful.

You can't go wrong choosing DMU - I'm certainly glad that I did.

I am also a first year at DMU, 2 months into classes, and very very happy with the school so far. We have everything here to facilitate learning. Technology is implemented everywhere in a way that creates productive learning, and does not create anxiety or unnecessary hype in the process. Students seem to be very happy here, facilities are super nice and faculty are diverse in a good way.

Please do not feel bad about being in Des Moines. This is a real city with places to go. Everything here seems to be balanced in a way that will allow you to concentrate on important things. You will work hard, very hard, and you will find things to do when you have free time. Just a friendly reminder, med school is demanding and time is limited. You will find all the resources on campus to do well in your classes, a very nice gym that will make you healthy and sane. If you plan to balance your time between bars and the library, you may find yourself out of steam very soon after you start, so when choosing a school, make certain that facilities are nice and that there is a gym.

I went to plenty of interviews and visited plenty of schools during my application process. DMU was the nicest school for me. I have no regrets, and you will have none as well as long as you get here a balanced person, and not an emotional rack. No school will make you sane or will resolve your childhood traumas, this is not a purpose of us coming to med school. We are here to learn. So, be prepared to learn!!!! Leave your notions of bar hopping at home for a bit.

jbone said:

Thanks for the feedback. I am excited about my acceptance. That is what I felt about DMU all along. I have interviewed at AZCOM, PCOM etc. and plenty of MD schools and it was truly the nicest of the bunch. I felt great about my decision to interview there and feel good about my choice to attend there next year. I don't understand why more people don't apply there. Do they know what they are missing??? Anyway, thanks for the info. Anybody else, feel free to add. Thanks. Play nice. :D

I would also love to hear more about the school. I felt more excited about my chance to interview here than I did about my ACCEPTANCE to KCUMB.

FS-Pro said:
I would also love to hear more about the school. I felt more excited about my chance to interview here than I did about my ACCEPTANCE to KCUMB.

You will love the school. Best wishes on your interview. Congrats on your acceptance at KCUMB. You will love DMU if you receive an invite. :)

I actually received an interview a couple of days. I'm sooo stoked!

FS-Pro said:
I actually received an interview a couple of days. I'm sooo stoked!

Good luck. You'll love it.
What time is it? :sleep:
work sucks (3:42 a.m.)

I just added DMU on my list to apply to AACOMAS. I have a friend who interviewed there and now is accepted. He has multiple acceptances so far, DMU is now his first choice over all schools MD and DO.

I interviewed at DMU a couple of weeks ago. I must say, the facilities are wonderful, the students were SOOO nice, the deans seemed VERY helpful, and the admissions staff was outstanding. It was my #1 choice far and above many MD schools. Until I got into the interview.

It was so weird... my interviewers were silent, blank-faced, and staring... they asked a very dry question, I'd answer it, and they would sit and stare at me for (no kidding) almost 30 seconds in complete silence. So I tried to answer more than the question - same reaction. I tried using examples - same reaction. I tried a small anecdote - same reaction. The entire interview went this way - no matter what I said they would just stare at me like I was from Mars. I really liked the DMU students I met, I liked the campus, but I really can't reconcile the interview with the rest of my experience. It just seemed so incredibly out of character with the rest of the school. So now I'm left with this strange feeling that one of those faces of DMU is right and one is wrong, but I can't really tell which one is which.

I think it had to do with my interview group - apparently two other folks that had the same panel had a very poor interview experience also (one guy posted on interview feedback and was quite juvenile about it). I stayed with a student host and she absolutely loves DMU; I'm just confused at this point. I was so absolutely in love with the place before my interview... *sigh*. Two weeks later, and my gut still twists over the strange dichotomy of the experience. Any help, anyone? :confused: :confused: :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Shyrem... sorry about the bad experience. Don't let it change your perception of the school, though. Mostly, the interviews are very friendly and laid back. You happened to get the exception and that's unfortunate. Just keep that in mind, would be my advice.

I'm a first year here at DMU as well and I concur with the other first years. In fact, I can't say enough about this school! The facilities are wonderful, but they are just the icing on the cake. The staff is great, the support, the resources, the opportunities... the whole school is focused on the students. You feel truly at home.

It's hard work, yes. But it's the best environment for hard work than any other I've seen-- DO or MD. We've had several guest lecturers who lecture at MD and DO schools tell us how impressed they are with our school--and admonish us not to take all of its offerings for granted.

And they way the staff treats you? It's for real! They are ALL very focused on helping the students, getting to know them. You can find yourself sitting and having lunch with one or another at any time. Even now, they are still as nice as ever to us.

Our professors have been *wonderful* so far. With the exception of one lecturer (who was very boring), all of our professors have been very good. We absolutely LOVE our OMM prof. OMM seems to be the favorite class for many of us. Plus, in the lab, each set of partners has their own TA--so we get one on one training.

The second years are super-friendly and offer their help even before you ask for it.

Heck, the school even did a full individualized health profile for each and every one of us including a complete blood workup, bone density, flexibility testing, grip test, measurements, and a VERY long lifestyle questionnaire. We each received a huge packet of health recommendations. We'll have this done again at the end of our second year--for purposes of comparison. They really not only teach preventive health, they PRACTICE it and encourage it in their students.

I could go on and on and on, but I have to hit the books...

Good luck in your decision. My advice is to pick the school that best fits you. Med school is hard to begin with, you don't want to be miserable while you're there. Where you go will influence how you feel about your medical training and ultimately how you practice when you get out into the real world.

To tell you the truth, my interview was a little strange as well - if I had based my decision solely on the interview, I probably would have ended up at KCOM. My personal feeling is the reason this is is the inclusion of students - who may or may not have any experience conducting interviews - on the interview panel.

I wouldn't let that sway your decision much. Think of the interview like the MCAT - another thing to get through and get the acceptance.

Does DMU require a DO letter?
I have one, but its already sent it to all the schools I originally applied to; I am thinking of adding DMU, but I wonder if its worth the hassle of bothering him to send another letter...

Goose-d said:
Does DMU require a DO letter?
I have one, but its already sent it to all the schools I originally applied to; I am thinking of adding DMU, but I wonder if its worth the hassle of bothering him to send another letter...

nope, their letter can essentially be from anyone ranging from a do to a nurse to a supervisor who has observed you in a healthcare setting.

I'm a 3rd year student at DMU, and I agree with most everyone that it's a great school. I started rotations a month ago, and so far I feel well prepared to be working with patients. Good luck to all of you who have interviews soon.

Wow, I didn't think I would get so many great responses. Thanks. :p
ShyRem, don't let the interview discourage you. All of these people can't be wrong. Did you get accepted? It only took them 6 days to send my acceptance. Did this happen to you? Anyway, thanks MsEvolution for the goods. Another reason I will be at DMU next year. Play nice and feel free to add anymore and get me even more excited about next year. :D

Me next year--------->>> :eek: (I can't feel my face!!!)

Do they have a dress code?

Jcrown said:

I don't think so...I think they want you to look presentable. :confused:

There is no dress code, and they do not want you to be anything, just be yourself. I regularly come to class wearing whatever I found next to bed in the morning, and everyone seems to be fine with it. Everything and everyone here is relaxed.

Jcrown said:

I got waitlisted. Not surprised - after the interview experience I was expecting a rejection flat out. Almost seemed they had made up their mind and I was wasting their time talking to them. I heard rumors that most of the folks interviewed by my interview group were either rejected or waitlisted. But that's just RUMOR, not first-hand information.

My interview experiences with another DO school and an MD school were MUCH better and nothing at all like DMU.

ShyRem said:
I got waitlisted. Not surprised - after the interview experience I was expecting a rejection flat out. Almost seemed they had made up their mind and I was wasting their time talking to them. I heard rumors that most of the folks interviewed by my interview group were either rejected or waitlisted. But that's just RUMOR, not first-hand information.

My interview experiences with another DO school and an MD school were MUCH better and nothing at all like DMU.

that's scary. so maybe you get a cr@ppy interview panel, which it seems like about one third or fourth of dmu students get, and then you won't get in? it seems like there's too much luck involved in that. goodness, i hope i get a good panel.

I think you have a better chance of that NOT happening with a panel, exlawgrrl. Far scarier to have a one-on-one interview - the chances of one crappy interviewer are higher than three crappy interviewers, I think. Overall, I think DMU has a good interview system. I think I just got a bad roll of the dice.

It really was #1 on my list until the interview. :(

ShyRem said:
I think you have a better chance of that NOT happening with a panel, exlawgrrl. Far scarier to have a one-on-one interview - the chances of one crappy interviewer are higher than three crappy interviewers, I think. Overall, I think DMU has a good interview system. I think I just got a bad roll of the dice.

It really was #1 on my list until the interview. :(

i'm sorry, shyrem. :( i'm hoping you'll have better luck from now on.

What were your stats if I might ask? And have you been accepted other places already Shyrem?

ShyRem said:

ShyRem,

Who were the people on your interview panel, very curious?

Thanks

Me in a nutshell:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3881

As for who was on the panel, I'm not sure I'll say. My experience may not be yours, and every interviewer deserves an open mind. I must say that everyone else who interviewed the day I was there with a different panel said they had a great experience. It really did seem to be a great school.......

I just got back from my interview at DMU... I think it's really that nice! It blew me away! I thought DMU would be about #3 on my list. It's now #1! I would love to be accepted.

ShyRem said:
Me in a nutshell:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=3881

As for who was on the panel, I'm not sure I'll say. My experience may not be yours, and every interviewer deserves an open mind. I must say that everyone else who interviewed the day I was there with a different panel said they had a great experience. It really did seem to be a great school.......

Now I'm nervious about not getting in... I felt the interview went well...I'll cross my fingers.

I think you had the same interview team as a friend of mine. He was very offended by the interview and told them about it. It's too bad because my experience at the school was amazing! Sounds like one interview crew on one day was terrible. Bad luck...

Here is my interview feedback and what I thought... http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/show_entry.asp?ID=12139
THE SCHOOL IS AMAZING!!!!

DON'T LET A BAD INTERVIEW SCARE YOU AWAY!!

I just interviewed too and thought that DMU was great. I thought my interview went really well, and hopefully I will get good news in two weeks!

misparas said:
I just got back from my interview at DMU... I think it's really that nice! It blew me away! I thought DMU would be about #3 on my list. It's now #1! I would love to be accepted.

That is why I started this thread. I felt the same way. It took me by suprise and I wanted to make sure that other people were seeing it the same way or not. Congrats on the good interview. You'll be fine. :thumbup: I am excited to go there next year and y'all seem like you would be great classmates. Thanks for continuing to add input...

Anyone else??? :confused:

misparas said:
Now I'm nervious about not getting in... I felt the interview went well...I'll cross my fingers.

I think you had the same interview team as a friend of mine. He was very offended by the interview and told them about it. It's too bad because my experience at the school was amazing! Sounds like one interview crew on one day was terrible. Bad luck...

Here is my interview feedback and what I thought... http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/show_entry.asp?ID=12139

Now "ain't" that some bull$hit?! An applicant spends LOTS of money for primaries, secondaries, and the trip....and it sounds like your acceptance depends upon whether or not one gets the "disgruntled" group. At the very least, the panel owes an applicant respect. Arrrrgh!

misparas said:

Now "ain't" that some bull$hit?! An applicant spends LOTS of money for primaries, secondaries, and the trip....and it sounds like one's acceptance depends upon whether or not one gets the "disgruntled" panel. At the VERY least, the panel owes an applicant respect. Arrrrgh!

Hi,

I too had a very stressful interview experience at DMU very recently. I loved all that the school has to offer and the students and staff are very nice and really make you feel comfortable. Ha, that is why I guess the interview felt so odd. I got grilled on one apsect of my application for the entire period. I also got the patent stone-faced stares.

During the day of the interview, I had pretty much made up my mind that if I got accepted, I would attend DMU, but the interview left me feeling that a rejection letter was infact in my future.

But just to let others know, that this experience was wholly mine and probably brought on by my application specifics, and that everyone else i talked to had a very pleasant conversational interview.

myg, I had the same feelings. I ended up waitlisted, and considering the interview experience I'm not too hurt by that. I was totally expecting a rejection. Unlike your experience, tho, my interview was absolutely not focused on any particular pieces of my application.

For more responses about this, you might try looking at some archive threads involving school v school type stuff (DMU v. _COM, etc.).

I am also a third year and felt I was prepared for seeing patients. I loved my time there and am happy to say that I come from that school when people ask. I haven't gotten any complaints from my preceptors so far, but I have to wait for the eval yet. Yes, DMU is really that friendly, but then again, IA is pretty friendly.

As far as interviews go, interviews are unfortunately not a way to sell you on a school, they are a way for the school to look at you and maybe ask you some tough questions. I wouldn't judge any school by how their interview went. Judge them on your time there outside of the interview: facilities, professors, student comments, classes and opportunities available to you, etc.

Just to add my two cents....I thought DMU was an awesome school. I did hear many of my fellow interviewees complaining about how mean their interview panel turned out to be and how hard some of the questions were, but I didn't have the same experience. My interviewers were very nice and didn't bite my head off. Yes, there were some awkward silences at times, but all in all not that bad.

If you get an interview, I would definitely take them up on their offer to see the school and facilities. They are amazing. Don't let the interview process scare you away.

I should be studying...
I too am a first year at DMU and I have to echo what Robo (who are you?), ms. evolution, and ol' mil are sayin: this place, if it fits, is WORTH your time. When I did some research on this school, spoke with alumni, read SDN, and talked with current students, I could not find any dirt on this school. Every single school that I applied to had something lurking under the verneer. Some I could live with, others, no way. When I got around to looking at DMU, I was amazed that there was no dirt. I was waiting for the shoe to drop, like c'mon guys, where is the bad side of this place? I looked. Couldn't find it. Still can't find it. I never thought that I'd enjoy going to school again. This place makes you want to succeed. Folks also haven't mentioned some of the big hitters we have on campus yet. A former governor of Iowa is our President. Wow, you wanna learn a thing or two, talk to him. He's on campus too, not just a stuffy painting on a wall of him.
People talk a lot about gunners in med school and how not to act and what to expect... all it boils down to here is: be nice and work hard, and you'll reap benefits. Our entire class swaps study materials that they make up, so everyone wins. How will this translate when we're physicians? you know, i could go on, cuz i should be studying the skull that's on my desk... but if anyone has any ??s drop me a PM or post here. Good luck and hope for the best.
:mad: :horns:

Hey, this is my first time on SDN, I appreciate all of your comments on DMU, I just received my acceptance on 10/5 and to say the least, I am really excited! I too was really impressed with DMU's facilities, students, and faculty. I was wondering if some of DMU's current students could answer my question. I understand that DMU has 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations all over the midwest, however, I have a family and was wondering how feasible it would be to stay in Des Moines for those years, and if so, how good are the clinical sites nearby?

Huntr, What were your stats if I might ask? Did you interview last week?

SOUNDMAN said:
Huntr, What were your stats if I might ask? Did you interview last week?
No problem, I have a 3.64 gpa and a 24 P on the MCAT, not that stellar, however, I think my EC's put me over. I actually interviewed on the 30th, do you or did you have an interview at DMU?