Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is it more important to take Microbiology or Physiology?

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by knarf135, Mar 27, 2007.

1. knarf135

knarf135 New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I have to choose one or the other if I want to take the PCAT next summer, so which is more beneficial?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bonbon2007

Pre-Pharmacy
    page 27 of the PCAT 2007 candidate booklet states:

Microbiology 20%
    Anatomy and Phys 20%

If I were choosing, I would assume that anatomy and phys were 10% each, and Microbiology would be more useful on PCAT 2007 since it is 20%.

However, those percentages are not always accurate on test day so take this information with a grain of salt on your way to the registrar.

Good luck with your studies :luck:

4. fmbzp5

Pharmacist
    I think physiology would be a better class. Basic microbiology concepts like shapes gram reactions aerobic vs. anaerobic can be covered easily. A general overview of physiology though would take a lot more effort. People in the past have commented on not seeing very many microbiology questions or any of super difficulty.

5. NDGirl

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think physiology would help you out more in the long run. I learned alot more in my physio class that will be helpful in pharmacy school than I learned in my micro class. As far as preparing for the PCAT however, I really don't know. I took the PCAT last June and I don't really remember many micro questions on it, but then again I don't really remember many physio question on it either.

Anyways, I would say Physiology would be much more helpful overall.

6. sooz1002

Pharmacy Student
    i also don't remember many micro or physio questions on the pcat. i hadn't taken either of those classes and i did fine (99% bio). the pcat is mostly general biology (which i guess includes basic micro/anat/phys), so as long as you've completed that, you should be fine!

7. Julianne

Julianne War Eagle!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    If you're going to be taking one or the other anyway, my vote goes to Physiology... it might not help your score tremendously but I think it's good material to know as a foundation for future studies.