Is it necessary to change my Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Should I change my personal statement? If yes, then must I change the whole thing or can I alter parts of it? Did anybody just leave it as is and still had no problem? What is usually recommeneded? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Change it how? or Change it from what to what? I am confused, and I have never seen your personal statement, so its hard to tell if it is in need of change. However, if you think it may need some work, than it probably does since you are probably your harshest critic. Hope that helps ya.

Do you mean change it as compared to the AMCAS personal statement? If so, I did change because I had shorten it. I believe after I shortened it and focused it more towards a Osteopathic Adcom it was a better personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
...or are you asking if it needs to be changed from last years application cycle. I would say yes. Some schools may hold your application from previous years and it would show initiative if you have tried to improve upon your previous ps.

I agree w/ KaiKai. Give the ADCOM as few reasons to give you neg. remarks. You can use your previous PS as a template if you really like it and have received positive feedback from independent reviewers (writing centers, etc). Use the old PS for a revised one with additions relating to maturing over the reapplication process, new 'highlights' achieved since last application, etc.
I remember being where you are now, keep grinding away as determination and persistency can be a great equalizing factor.

HeavyD said:
I agree w/ KaiKai.

Music to my ears...someone actually agrees with me. Bright note of my day...it has been a rough week. hahaha :laugh:

I meant improve it from the previous application cycle. Should I write an entirely new PS or just edit the old one. I don't see how it would change drastically from the previous year -- it really toook years to evolve. Thanks.

theDr. said:
I meant improve it from the previous application cycle. Should I write an entirely new PS or just edit the old one. I don't see how it would change drastically from the previous year -- it really toook years to evolve. Thanks.

Humm...If I were you, I would brainstorm and see if I could come up with a new way to present the information. Yes, much of the information is going to be the same...but maybe you can find a way to present it that will come acrossed as more sincere and make the adcom more compelled to view you positively as a candidate. Also, I would include new information including motivation for continuing pursuing a medical eduction after one year of I am assuming limited or no success. I.E. After realizing any shortcomings as a candidate, what you have done to improve your chances? Just my two cents (which count for even less than that). Good Luck.