is it necessary to do content review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwe7791

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this might be a controversial question and I am currently doing content prep, but is it really necessary? I've read some content books and when I go answer TBR passages, I'm like: "was this even mentioned in content prep?" and then I attempt the TBR passages. While I didn't get most of the passage questions correct, I did learn more about how to approach those types of problems than my content prep. Does anyone else feel the same?

Members don't see this ad.

BR books are an anomaly in that they are designed to have people who choose to learn exclusively by passage be able to pick up most of the information from the explanations. The text portion is for exposure, repetition, sample questions, test tricks, and the concepts behind various cross-topic explanations.

If you choose to prepare purely using BR passages, then please go back to the text as reference whenever you see a shortcut in a solution. Knowing where the shortcuts come from helps to apply them to all situations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this might be a controversial question and I am currently doing content prep, but is it really necessary? I've read some content books and when I go answer TBR passages, I'm like: "was this even mentioned in content prep?" and then I attempt the TBR passages. While I didn't get most of the passage questions correct, I did learn more about how to approach those types of problems than my content prep. Does anyone else feel the same?

Don't know anything about your background, so can't comment. For the average test-taker, the answer is "**** yes what are you crazy??!!?!!" But I could definitely see someone with a significant background and a solid understanding of how everything is interconnected scoring well with only minor touch-ups here and there.

You can try an FL and report back if you really feel like proving content review may not be needed (at least as heavily) for you.

I have extensive background in the Sciences and it's all fairly recent. Yet, I still feel as if content review was essential. While you learn the same content in your UG courses, it is very different when applied to the MCAT. For example, you don't need to know the MO theory for the MCAT though it's one of those big ones in Chemistry (Chem major here!). I would say spend 1/3 of your time doing content review and the other 2/3 doing practice. Good luck!