Is it necessary to finish all pre reqs before time of application to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barrons12101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated and am taking a gap year.

Can I apply to dental schools without finishing their pre reqs? I was thinking to take its pre req only if I get into a school instead of taking it now.

Members don't see this ad.

Can I apply to dental schools without finishing their pre reqs? I was thinking to take its pre req only if I get into a school instead of taking it now.

You can apply to most schools without having the pre reqs completed. You just have to take them before you matriculate. There may be a couple of schools that require you to have them complete before you apply, though, so make sure to check with each school.

It helps the admissions committee assess your application if you have a majority of them done. But you can still apply with all of them done but plan on taking them

Members don't see this ad :)
Like said above, you only need to have them completed before matriculating. However, you must indicate that you're going to take them, otherwise schools will just assume you aren't planning on taking a pre req and more than likely won't give your application a legitimate shake.

Yup, everything above and I just wanted to add that Stony Brook is the only school that requires all pre-reqs to be completed at the time of application. All others are at the time of matriculation (starting school). Also, most schools don't let you take classes the summer before you start, so make sure you put them as planned by Spring Quarter/Semester.

Agreed with the above comments.

Most school want you to finish all the pre-req before applying. So, if you are not done with them, you better sign up to finish. They'd like to see that you have a plan in place to finish the courses that are required.